Thinking of quitting finasteride to get on with my life

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you're the man drink rum. nice to have such a diligent hair loss talk representative, and a good supplement/addition to our main scientific contributor, bryan. both of your opinions and postings are always appreciated.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Thanks, Trent. It's much appreciated.

By the way, Red Rose, here is an e-mail reply from Dr. Hayes:

I have never seen any central nervous system problems on this dose of
finasteride, XXX.

Kind regards,

Frances Hayes, M.D.
Reproductive Endocrine Unit, BHX5
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit St,
Boston, MA 02114

Tel 617-726-XXXX
Fax 617-726-XXXX

This is her Web site: http://www.massgeneral.org/reproendo/pa ... _Hayes.htm

D.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
my opinion on the whole thing is, if you think propecia is clouding your mind, or what have you, and when you go off of it, it makes you feel better/more confident/more level headed and its worth it to you to just let nature take its course on the hair, then do it. its irrelevant really whether chemically or psychologically the drug caused you to feel this way. if getting off the drug cures you, and it makes you feel better this way than treating your hair would, then get off of it. simple as that.

Its nice to know, for all those that are nervous about taking the drug however, what the facts really are, and it seems to me at least, that the HPA axis is probably unaffected. so don't get scared. as always, give the drug a shot, the sides are reversible, and you have nothing to lose but a little money and a little DHT.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Drinkrum how was the thread that I posted in any way inappropriate? It backed up my suggestion that other posters had made the claim about HPTA and within the context of what we were discussing presented a balanced point of view. On the contrary, I do consider posters like Bryan to be authorities on the subject, although I agree there is no substitute for hard evidence.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Red Rose said:
Drinkrum how was the thread that I posted in any way inappropriate? It backed up my suggestion that other posters had made the claim about HPTA and within the context of what we were discussing presented a balanced point of view. On the contrary, I do consider posters like Bryan to be authorities on the subject, although I agree there is no substitute for hard evidence.

You claimed that I made a "blunder" when in fact I corrected Bryan. Bryan's ideas are simply not consistent with (recent) empirical evidence nor the word of one of the best researchers in the field who has authored dozens of articles on the subject. You think this is a balanced view? Bryan versus the medical community at large? Bryan as an "authority" on this subject? I have a lot of respect for Mr. Shelton and think he's a great guy, but give me a break, man.

D.

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being ignorant, this is good information. However, what is HPTA and what does it do. In laymans term please. I went on line but just got more confused. I am on Propecia and I am wondering what this is?

Thanks

drinkrum

Reaction score
md2002 said:
Sorry for being ignorant, this is good information. However, what is HPTA and what does it do. In laymans term please. I went on line but just got more confused. I am on Propecia and I am wondering what this is?

Thanks

HPTA stands for hypothalamus-pituitary-testes axis. It refers to a feedback mechanism between the brain and gonads that dictates the release of hormones. For instance, if the brain notices a decrease in testosterone (T), it will signal the testes to produce some more. A clear example of a HPTA response is with steroids. When 'roid users inject a ton of T into their system, the brain signals the testes to produce less, resulting in smaller testicles and other nasty side effects. In this way, the HPTA tries to preserve a delicate balance of hormones in the body. Drugs, like steroids, may put the HPTA off kilter, causing all sorts of problems.

D.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
okay. it is the hypothalamic and pituitary axis. basically, your hypothalmus gives out "signals" which are basically hormones, to the pituitary, which then gives out more hormones that affect the way your body works. upon excitation by the hypothalmus, the pituitary will give out:
FSH: this has to do with how much sperm is made (with the help of some testosterone) and is different depending on if you are a woman (cyclic for estrogen for periods and stuff) and more constant if you are a dude.

LH: this basically tells your balls to make more testosterone.

ACTH which controls your adrenal gland to make more androgens (Testosterone), and cortisol (which does lots of stuff including blood pressure regulation/glucose/stress response and immune function) and aldosterone (increses blood pressure)

TSH (which activates the thyroid gland to make thyroid hormone which controls your basal metabolic rate (aka your metabolism)

Growth Hormone: does growth and some metabolic functions as well (gluose increase).

the hypothalmus itself also releases two other hormones on its own, without the need of the pituitary gland: AHD (basically controls your blood volume/blood pressure, this is the thing that gets blocked when you are drinking, and that's why you piss a lot). and oxytocin which is really only important in pregnant chicks, so we won't worry about that.

its kinda over simplified and let me know if there's any glaring errors (drink rum), i'm studying for boards and the moment and don't have the time to make sure its perfect. although i hope its close since i take the exam in a month. Ahh!!!

edit: i thought i would add, that there is a feedback inhibition that goes on here, so that if one thing gets increased, or decreased, it may affect how much of something is produced. this is why there is a worry with propecia, that it somehow messes with this inhibition/regulation system, and fucks up portions of the axis

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I´m on finasteride (1/5 proscar every day) for 4 months and, during this period, I´ve get the best qualifications at university ever, my little one-eyed friend is working daily, my mind is as slow as ever, my chest still is like a (hairy) rock, my emotional state is so confused and stupid like always and I feel fine.

Thank you finasteride.

P.S.: I´ve read somewhere a scientifical report that shows tiny, tiny very tiny weapons of massive destruction located in propecia pills. They say Merck laboratories are planning to create a new race of balding, walking ammo warehouses that spread themselves around the world. Also it says that they put a balding agent in women´s vaginas (the how is not clarified yet), so everyman that rubs his head in one of those manipulated vaginas go bald and subsecuently go for the propecia pill, growing the Merck evil empire (and nothing else). Then, wen they decide it´s time, the Bald Doom´s Day will come, and they will start snipering bald man´s heads from bellfryes in every town, equiped with polarised glasses that show no more than the reflection of sunlight on a bald head. The bald heads will explode liberating their letal load to the open air, and the tiny tiny airplanes and tanks will start functioning. And the world will be Merck´s. Knowing that, I´m planning to cut my dose to 1/6 Proscar. f*** you, farmaceutical wannabe emperors!!!

G

Solo said:
I´m on finasteride (1/5 proscar every day) for 4 months and, during this period, I´ve get the best qualifications at university ever, my little one-eyed friend is working daily, my mind is as slow as ever, my chest still is like a (hairy) rock, my emotional state is so confused and stupid like always and I feel fine.

Thank you finasteride.

P.S.: I´ve read somewhere a scientifical report that shows tiny, tiny very tiny weapons of massive destruction located in propecia pills. They say Merck laboratories are planning to create a new race of balding, walking ammo warehouses that spread themselves around the world. Also it says that they put a balding agent in women´s vaginas (the how is not clarified yet), so everyman that rubs his head in one of those manipulated vaginas go bald and subsecuently go for the propecia pill, growing the Merck evil empire (and nothing else). Then, wen they decide it´s time, the Bald Doom´s Day will come, and they will start snipering bald man´s heads from bellfryes in every town, equiped with polarised glasses that show no more than the reflection of sunlight on a bald head. The bald heads will explode liberating their letal load to the open air, and the tiny tiny airplanes and tanks will start functioning. And the world will be Merck´s. Knowing that, I´m planning to cut my dose to 1/6 Proscar. f*** you, farmaceutical wannabe emperors!!!

Here's some free advice, but I'm only gonna tell you once:

Lay off the acid, son.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
...::traxdata::... said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking of quitting finasteride to concentrate on getting on with my life. I had my hair cut the weekend end. Very short in fact. It looks good. Do I really need to worry about my hair anymore? My G/F does not give a sh*t. To be honest neither do I.

I want to concentrate of living and having a child. That's the plan in the next year. And to me that's far more important than hair any day.

I also think that finasteride is messing with my body big time. I just don't feel the same anymore since starting it. My mind is foggy all the time, very lethargic on some days. I just want to get back to how I was before I started finasteride. Super fit and confident. I just feel that finasteride has turned me into something different.

I might go down the herbal route, not just for my hair but also just to be a bit healthier. I'm on holiday next week so this will give me time to think about things a bit more. I did discuss this with my G/F and she was quite supportive.

finasteride definitely messes your body. You don't really realise it. It just creeps up on you. I think it can also affect the mood, which many members have reported. I seem to be so up and down at the moment with my moods and I don't want it to affect my relationship, which is very strong.

I can understand guys who are in there 20's and losing hair. I really can. But when you are coming up to 37 and I feel that I should just get on with life.

I will let you all know how I get on. Good luck guys....

I really mean it....

Now Trax, if you really feel this way, you should move on my friend. You're old enough to know that battling male pattern baldness should be "fun". When it becomes an evil obsession, it's time to move on.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
so drinkdrum are you saying finasteride affects the ability of one to think or process information?..how about feeling tired alot on finasteride?..cause ive noticed i feel tired..all the time..

G

Thanks guys.

It defo has an effect on your body. But it does not affect all people. My advice is to at least try finasteride to halt hair loss. Then if you feel that it is affecting you in your dialy life then stop it.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I was the first to laugh when I used to hear about guys complaining about "brain fog" and lethargy while on Finasteride.

Not anymore. I was nable to accomplish anything while I was on Finasteride.

Sexually, I was fine. I friggin' go-getter as always. Mentally, I was as sharp as a polished stone. This is NOT GOOD for someone trying to maintain a high GPA trying to get into a leading law school.

At any rate, I got off Finasteride and made a leap of faith to - *drumroll* - Dutasteride! And not just ANY GENERIC Dutasteride. Avodart, baby. Yeah!

After about 6 months you know what I feel? Fine. Great. I'm not lazy and lethargic anymore. I don't leave my keys in my door when I come home anymore. I don't forget that I actually did turn off the stove and have to go check it - twice - anymore.

Now, I'm not saying that this will be the same for anyone else and I am not saying that it WON"T happen to me. I'm still knocking on wood here, but I have heard this testament from a few other guys. They had whatever side effect on Finasteride that didn't cross over when they started Dutasteride.

I am no chemist, biologist, or physicist so I cannot give you any more info than that. Perhaps the inhibition mechanisms of the two medications are different and that is the reason? Hell, I don't know and won't pretend to.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
What is this "fog" you guys speak of?

I am as sharp and witty as ever. A bit confused. I'm 9 months into finasteride. Am I going to become a mongoloidal dufus?

And after the first second month libido dip I have been fine.

Wanna ask my girlfriend? I will put her on here. She will not hesitate to confirm that I F her just fine.

I seriously think you guys are nuts.

G

You just seem to be in a kind of day dream. It's difficult to focus on things. You lose interest in work and stuff like that. You just don't want to do anything.

But sex is always there abouts. Never had a problem on that score...

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's kind of like when you wake up from a nap that went on for too long. You know how you wake up from those in the middle of REM sleep and nothing makes any sense for a few minutes? It's kind of like that only slightly lesser ALL THE TIME. It's just really weird. The worst part (or perhaps best) is that you actually realize that you are like that, yet there is nothing you can do for it.