Thinking Of Getting A Hair System After Trying Hair Loss Treatments

chipper82

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm 33 and pretty damn bald! I started the big 3 a month ago and I'm going to see how that goes for 6 months. If I don't get decent results then I'm thinking of trying a system, my hair is quite thin on the sides though so am I likely to get a good result from a topper? See pics

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi, in pic 1 it doesnt look too bad on top but in pic 3 it does look thinner. It would be interesting to see how it is longer, but that said you have front recession.

A topper should work, but you need to grow your sides out for the blend.

The result depends very much on your approach and the supplier you work with.

Coming on here is a good start, but do read and research as much as possible because yes a good result is very possible.

chipper82

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I haven't had it any longer for about 5 years as I hate the way it looks like a dog chewed tennis ball when it starts growing!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Chipper

You look well even without hair, and you can definitely go with the shaved look. That said, I can understand the wish to have hair, and I am pretty sure a topper would work fine for you. For a bald lad you have very good temple points - not receded at all - and that is the most important factor for making a system look good (your temple point is the little forward-pointing triangle of sidehair halfway up your forehead). You don't actually need that much hair at the sides to make a system look good. In fact with the undercut styles in vogue at the minute you can be almost shaved at the sides.

As Grincher said, keep reading and asking questions so that you are an educated consumer of whatever solution you end up going for. Maybe go along to a decent hair system studio and just see what they look like.

Good luck with the meds in the meantime.

Noah

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Chipper,
IMHO, you look totally natural. You have a good shape to your head and the super short cut looks very clean on you. You look to have good donor hair-have you considered hair transplant?

Mary411

Reaction score
Hi, Chipper...

Sorry to butt in here. I know it's the men's forum, but I just wanted to tell you I don't think you need a system. Just my personal opinion, but I think you look great just the way you are. You're a handsome guy. If no one has told you that today, somebody ought to, so I thought I would. ;)

chipper82

Reaction score
Thanks you both for the kind comments, I'm currently on finasteride and minoxidil and haven't cut my hair for 3 weeks, going to see if the meds can help to regrow some hair. I haven't looked into transplants as I know they are very expensive and don't really guarantee great results. I'm only considering a system as I've seen some excellent looking examples on YouTube, they actually look better than my real hair did!

shookwun

Reaction score
Mate, I don't see the point of you getting a system seeing as your on medication and can get a great result from reputable surgeon.

two surgeries. All though you might even be content with just one.

[video=youtube;cXazIHKwGaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXazIHKwGaY[/video]

chipper82

Reaction score
That is very impressive mate I reckon I would need around 6000 to 8000 grafts to get a result I would be happy with and I'm not sure my donor area could support that, also in guessing I'd be looking at around £10,000

chipper82

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give a quick update on my situation, I tried a hair system for a month, it looked great at first but the problems began almost immediately. I had problems with the hairline from the beginning I tried 3 different glue and even tape but just could not get an undetectable hairline and it kept lifting and needing re bonding daily. While the system did sometimes look ok I found it very difficult to style, it doesn't behave like hair growing from the scalp would it's hard to explain! Anyway a few days in the sun faded it badly so I decided I'd had enough and removed it and shaved my sides. At the moment I don't look good as I've had to shave down to a 0 which really doesn't suit me, so my experience wasn't a great one but at least I've tried a system and now I know it's not for me. I'm not sure what I'll do now or if a hair transplant could be a viable option maybe I'll just have to accept the hand I've been dealt!

NeedHair101

Reaction score
Hi Chipper82, I also tried a hair system for 20 days and I couldn't deal with it. Constant itchiness, bothered me while laying down sleeping or at the bench press while working out at the gym. Hairpiece dint feel good while styling it or combing it.
I like to play basketball and I had to be limited to play less due to not sweating a lot. I had to limit my outdoor activities such *** cutting my grass in the middle of a sunny day.

The most IMPORTANT thing that I missed while wearing the hairpiece is taking a FULL shampoo hot shower and the pleasure of washing my head with water. I dint enjoy not showering my head while taking a shower due to wearing the hairpiece. Nothing better than getting in the shower rinse your entire head with water. Even though I liked the look of a hair piece I couldn't handle the effects of it. Hopefully the new JAK Inhibitors lotion comes out soon to cure Male Pattern Baldness and regrow our hair.
(My hairpiece was French lace front with poly perimeter and center was also French lace)
I live in hot and humid state of Texas so using a thin skin with no air circulation might feel better but migh come off easily due to the hot and humid summer.

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, the piece looked good, but you can definitely also carry off the shaved look well, especially with the fuller beard.

It's hard to know why these things work for some but not others. Maybe it is a question of how desperate you are to have hair (very, in my case). For most of the problems (itch, sweating etc) there are solutions, but if it doesn't feel right and you can't warm to the concept, then you have to accept is not for you and move on. I think if you have given it a month and you still feel uncomfortable with it, it's time to quit.

The only thing I would say is that for a guy who is bothered by hairloss it's worth trying. If it works it can be a great solution, and if it doesn't you haven't lost much.

PeetaPeeta

Reaction score
I am sorry wearing hair didn't work for you...

When I started I had the exact same problems you described. Learning to wear does not happen within a month -- I've been wearing for a year an I am still trying new bases, glues, leaning new techniques, ect. All the damn time. It's frustrating but w/ me wearing a piece and having temple recession is like night and day. I just look that much better w/ hair even if it's f**king fake, lol.

I distinctly remember going crazy when I first started, had to reattach daily an never dared show my hairline. A year later This ain't the case no mo.

If you've found your peace I'm happy for you, but I just want to say wearing a craft, a finesse and it gets better overtime. One month is not enough. That is unless you have tonnes of cash to blow in hairclubs, but even then the result isn't always great.

shookwun

Reaction score
it definitely isnt for everyone. I tried it myself, and couldnt deal with it.

Commend you on your efforts.

I believe a system is a good option for advance bald men who simply wont benefit much from transplants visual wise. it is to much work in the early stages for cleaning, and maintenance . It is not a good option for NW2-3 with good density. Enjoy what you have because a system is a lot of effort.

I agree with how it feels on your head while you sleep, and not having the luxury of washing your own scalp freely. That was one of my favourite parts of taking it off, washing my scalp and give it a good rubbing. it is important to keep the hair at a relatively longer length, and go on the lighter density side while obtaining the thinnest lace.