Thinking I'm About To Start minoxidil-need A Little Advice

Mccoybob17

Reaction score
I posted this thread in another sub forum, but I'm thinking I'll get more results here. This is what I posted:
Hello everyone, I'm a 26 year old male and I started thinning out when I was 20/21. It started with my temples, but I didn't really care/worry about it. A couple of years ago I noticed my crown was thinning out. I still have hairs on my crown, but they are MUCH thinner than any other hairs on my head.

I've decided I need to do something, and rogaine it is. I'm not all that comfortable in taking finasteride, so this is what I'm left with. I plan on getting 5% foam and giving it a run, but here is where I need the advice.

Should I only be applying the rogaine to the crown of my head? This is the real problem area, and is what I am most concerned with attempting to treat. Or should I be applying to foam to my entire scalp? Or at the very least to the front of my scalp. The hair on the front of my head is a lot thicker than the crown, but I have noticed that it is also starting to thin (not nearly as bad though).

So should I stick with only applying the rogaine to the crown? This is the area that desperately needs some help. Perhaps Icould start with the crown, and should the front continue to thin then I could apply it all over.

Or just go after the male pattern baldness right now, and apply the foam all over my head? I'm not on any DHT blockers other than nizoral.

I worry that only putting the minoxidil on my crown will make it stand out and look different from the rest of my hair. Because of the shed I would rather only put it on my crown to see how I react. Is there any harm in starting with the crown and moving to the entire head should I notice my front hair continues to thin?

I know the science behind rogaine shows that hair that is not damaged will not be changed by rogaine. So applying it to the front of my head should, in theory, be no risk/high reward.

I'm nervous about starting this, but if I wait much longer I won't have any hair to save. Any advice is greatly appreciated

tooldude

Reaction score
Sorry, but unless you get on a dht blocker, you'll most likely lose any hair gained by minoxidil and all other vulnerable hairs in due time(1st hand evidence). If i had one do over, it would be to start finasteride at a much younger age and never touch min.

Mccoybob17

Reaction score
Sorry, but unless you get on a dht blocker, you'll most likely lose any hair gained by minoxidil and all other vulnerable hairs in due time(1st hand evidence). If i had one do over, it would be to start finasteride at a much younger age and never touch min.

Unfortunately my doctor told me it would be a very bad idea for me to start finasteride due to a pre-existing condition. He did say I could have some success with minoxidil, though.

I wouldn't really mind going bald someday, just not today haha! If rogaine could be used to thicken up my crown, and possibly add some time before I have to start shaving me head, I would be all for it.

Do any DHT blockers exist that do not mess with hormones? I'm assuming no, as even saw palmetto can be a problem. I am on nizoral, but that is incredibly mild in the fight against hairloss.

Mccoybob17

Reaction score
That's a smart decision to start Rogaine. Apply it liberally EVERYWHERE. That includes your hairline, the bald areas, and
the top.

Also, feel free to use more than a half capful. I wouldn't recommend skipping doses.

Do you apply it twice a day? The foam looks really easy to apply, but I was considering trying one dose. I had read that the half life of minoxidil would allow for once a day application. If the general consensus is that once a day is a waste then I have no problem going twice a day. Just trying to make this as easy as possible on myself.

Would there be any harm in starting by only applying to my crown? Perhaps adding it all over in the next year or two if I see the rest of my hair thinning? Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really needed this!

Mccoybob17

Reaction score
No harm at all. But I would seriously consider putting it on your hairline as well. You have recession going on.

I think I will end up doing that at some point, but for the first 6ish months I'm on it, I think I'll stick to putting it on my noticeably thinned crown. I want to see how well I respond, and if I shed it out, well it won't be that big of a deal because it's very thin up top anyway. Since I initially noticed my hairline falling back (at least 5-6 years ago) I really haven't lost much on my hairline, so I'm hopeful that waiting to apply it won't destroy my chances. I just seem to be balding in that crown area at a significantly higher rate.

I'll try and get some pictures up at some point. Perhaps if you guys can visually see what I'm working with you all can be more equipped to help me make these decisions.

tooldude

Reaction score
Bummer about not being able to use finasteride. All good though! GL with min, ive seen threads on here with guys having plenty success with it. Just not sure it'll hold in the long term.

Great attitude about your future and hair. Never knew so many men absolutely hated themselves over their appearance until i visited this forum.

All the bald guys i know irl would never stop making fun of me for visiting a site like this...maybe they're secretly on here too:)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil alone will keep you above baseline for a good 2 years, maybe 5 if you're lucky.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil alone will keep you above baseline for a good 2 years, maybe 5 if you're lucky.

I was kind of hesitant to get on minoxidil, but at the moment, about 5 months in, I'm glad I did. Even though I haven't gotten regrowth at this point that's provided any cosmetic improvement, the fact that I have even a small cluster of hairs that sprouted up next to my forelock tells me it's likely helping keep me above baseline for the moment(don't think I've been on finasteride long enough to attribute any improvement to it). Also, since switching to the foam for morning use, it's not nearly the hindrance and hassle I feared it might be. As others have said, it's just another thing like brushing your teeth...it's actually faster than brushing your teeth for me.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was kind of hesitant to get on minoxidil, but at the moment, about 5 months in, I'm glad I did. Even though I haven't gotten regrowth at this point that's provided any cosmetic improvement, the fact that I have even a small cluster of hairs that sprouted up next to my forelock tells me it's likely helping keep me above baseline for the moment(don't think I've been on finasteride long enough to attribute any improvement to it). Also, since switching to the foam for morning use, it's not nearly the hindrance and hassle I feared it might be. As others have said, it's just another thing like brushing your teeth...it's actually faster than brushing your teeth for me.
yeah... I don't get the minoxidil fear. It's a commitment yeah, but it's hardly a difficult one, and it restores more native hair. More hair is always better than less hair and the price is a small one to pay. It's a bit greasy for an hour then it dries and leaves your hair feeling dry but voluminous. No big deal before bed and easy to work into your morning routine.