Thinking about taking off my hair system daily

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've been considering hair systems for a while and noticed that the general preference is to have it as long as possible, but most people get 4-5 days.
Due to personal reasons, I have to remove it every time I shower and thus considering daily use.
So my question is, what products and base types should I consider buying to make this work and make it less tedious?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's great if you have a lifestyle where you can remove the system at night. The system would last so much longer and you would feel a lot fresher. I really miss showering without the system!

I have read posts in the past where people using some ultra hold hair gel for daily wear. I think this works better on lace than on UTS - because I tried it with my UTS and the hold was terrible.

I can't imagine using glue for daily wear as this would be time consuming, messy and would ruin the hair very quickly.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only downside I’ve heard of is that the hold is pretty weak, thus making it more likely to come off (for example, if a date pulls on it). But, if you can make it work, and feel the hold is good enough, let us know.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've been considering hair systems for a while and noticed that the general preference is to have it as long as possible, but most people get 4-5 days.
Due to personal reasons, I have to remove it every time I shower and thus considering daily use.
So my question is, what products and base types should I consider buying to make this work and make it less tedious?
Why do you need to remove it every time you shower? You can get a lace base which allows the water to reach your scalp if that is the issue.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you need to remove it every time you shower? You can get a lace base which allows the water to reach your scalp if that is the issue.
Regardless, it's much better for the hair itself if you don't sleep with it on or shower it often.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see no upside to this.

These systems are made to put in place, and stay there for 1-3 weeks.

The constant removal, cleaning off the residue of whatever adhesive you are using, as well as your scalp will cause the system to degrade at a much quicker rate, as well as the potential of increased risk to skin irritation.

What possible reason could there be to remove the system every time you shower?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been doing this a couple of years now, since the COVID quarantine. Don't use gel (Got 2 B Glued). It's not water resistant, so sweat will melt it. You have a choice between using a weaker tape like 1522 to bond, or a tape tackifier like Brandywine/Davlyn Super Stick, or Mastix P Spirit Gum which is intended for theatrical use, or something like Mity Tite which is more like an acrylic wug glue but not as strong. None of these are great options, P Spirit Gum is in some ways the least bad, Mity Tite is probably the strongest.

The only downside I’ve heard of is that the hold is pretty weak,

Yep. For that reason I think you're prob better off with a poly base so that you get more surface area to bond, but I haven't tried this with lace.

The constant removal, cleaning off the residue of whatever adhesive you are using, as well as your scalp will cause the system to degrade at a much quicker rate, as well as the potential of increased risk to skin irritation.

Nope.

Removal is not a big deal because the hold is pretty weak, especially by the end of the day.
I'm not cleaning the residue off daily either, more like every 7-10 days. It works as a tackifier when rebonding the next day.

The major upsides are comfort (giving your scalp so many hours to "breathe" per day, especially when you shower and sleep) and not having to style the hair very often, since you're not sleeping on it the style usually remains intact from day to day... which can *extend* the lifespan of the piece.

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been doing this a couple of years now, since the COVID quarantine. Don't use gel (Got 2 B Glued). It's not water resistant, so sweat will melt it. You have a choice between using a weaker tape like 1522 to bond, or a tape tackifier like Brandywine/Davlyn Super Stick, or Mastix P Spirit Gum which is intended for theatrical use, or something like Mity Tite which is more like an acrylic wug glue but not as strong. None of these are great options, P Spirit Gum is in some ways the least bad, Mity Tite is probably the strongest.

Yep. For that reason I think you're prob better off with a poly base so that you get more surface area to bond, but I haven't tried this with lace.

Nope.

Removal is not a big deal because the hold is pretty weak, especially by the end of the day.
I'm not cleaning the residue off daily either, more like every 7-10 days. It works as a tackifier when rebonding the next day.

The major upsides are comfort (giving your scalp so many hours to "breathe" per day, especially when you shower and sleep) and not having to style the hair very often, since you're not sleeping on it the style usually remains intact from day to day... which can *extend* the lifespan of the piece.
Thank you for the help and recommendations, I have already bought 1522 clear tape and the stronger red tape if the hold was too weak.
I have been concerned about placing tapes on the hairline and these glues might solve the problem for me. What are your thought on Liqui-Tape as it is advertised for daily use?
Also, what do you use to remove the hair system?

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
The only downside I’ve heard of is that the hold is pretty weak, thus making it more likely to come off (for example, if a date pulls on it). But, if you can make it work, and feel the hold is good enough, let us know.
Thank you, I’m on the lookout of different types of tapes/adhesives/ protectors that could give the best combo for easy daily installation/removal.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What are your thought on Liqui-Tape as it is advertised for daily use?

Never heard of it, sorry. I'm down to give it a try. Like I said, I haven't found anything that works too well. It's a scale of bad to worse, tbh.

Also, what do you use to remove the hair system?

Nothing, I'm able to simply peel it off with little to no resistance by the end of the day. The hold is pretty weak. For whatever reason, it hasn't been a problem in hurricane-force winds, but if you're ever in situations where someone might deliberately pull it off your head against your wishes, this is not for you. I say deliberately as I very much doubt some playful tugging from a date who is unaware of the hairpece would do it. But if they know, or find the edge, it would be easy to peel it away.

I use C22 to clean my scalp every night, and alcohol to clean the residue off the base every week or two, but removing the topper from my scalp has not required the aid of any kind of solvent.

Last edited:

Cruise21

My Regimen
Reaction score
.The major upsides are comfort (giving your scalp so many hours to "breathe" per day, especially when you shower and sleep) and not having to style the hair very often, since you're not sleeping on it the style usually remains intact from day to day... which can *extend* the lifespan of the piece.

This is EXACTLY correct.

Daily wear, if possible, can totally extend the life of a piece. By trial and error you learn how to use just enough glue and/or weaker tapes to keep it secure for the day but then get it off easily. You can repeat this for several days before having to remove any residue and wash/condition the hair. It's more hygienic and healthier because you can wash and scrub your head every night. Some days you can just throw on a cap and never attach. And, you always have the option of doing a more secure bond if you need it to last through a whole weekend away, or for a date, etc...

Last edited:

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can repeat this for several days before having to remove any residue and wash/condition the hair.

What I was trying to say^
Thank you for expressing this so clearly.

Some days you can just throw on a cap and never attach.

Yes, I do that often.

And, you always have the option of doing a more secure bond if you need it to last through a whole weekend away, or for a date, etc...

Yes exactly :D

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is it correct that the main reason you want to remove daily is because you want to shower?

aqeel6600

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it correct that the main reason you want to remove daily is because you want to shower?
I do understand that I can shower with the hair system, but I like using a scolding hot water over my head without worrying about melting the glue. That among other reasons

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Nope.

Have you tried this with an ultra thin poly unit? (0.03-0.04)

Cruise21

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Cruise21 what do you use to bond and how do you apply it? As I said I'm not real happy with any if the adhesives I've tried for daily wear...

A very thin line of any of the usual white glues right at the front edge and a few small pieces of daily tape (1522 or whatever) spaced out around the rest. Got2Be never worked at all for me.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Understood, but there is a balance to be had and that is for you to arrive at with the pros and cons of that shower feeling vs time/wear on the piece.

Even without a system, I dont think washing your scalp every day esp under "scolding" hot water is advisable; but thats an aside.

My suggestion is live with it for a period removing daily and also extended period like every other day, every 3rd day etc and over a few months you will reach at whats best for you far better than any suggestion on here.

Over time, you will change and adapt your approach to the signals your body gives.