thinking about starting dutasteride...

deckard2080

Reaction score
ok i ve been on the big 3 for 4 years now...had good regrowth but im looking for more...should i add adovert? is it safe? is it a good idea?

Obsidian

Reaction score
Are you still stable on finasteride?

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to fear monger, but I too had great regrowth from the Big 3 for 2 years and decided to switch from finasteride to dutasteride, thinking I'd get even more regrowth. Man was I ever wrong.

Gave dutasteride one year and was losing hair nonstop throughout. It became clear that dutasteride wasn't working for me so I decided to quit and go back on finasteride. So far I've only been on finasteride for a week but I'm praying that I can get back to the point I was before I started dutasteride.

You could go on dutasteride and get great results from it, however, you also could be jeopardizing the gains you made with finasteride. From my experience, I would advise that you don't make the switch unless finasteride doesn't work or stopped working for you. But if you decide to go on dutasteride and you do get good results, I'd consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

G

i am thinking to switch to dutas too, just to achieve more regrowth

T

Timi

i was 2Years on dutasteride (Avodart)

i have lost so many Hairs (Hairloss Nonstop all over the Head)

the same as @kalbo

dutasteride has destroyed my Hair and my Live

Timi

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing to keep in mind when taking dutasteride, is the reason why you first started taking it.

By this i mean, you start taking dutasteride becuase the finasteride isnt working anymore or your begining to lose ground. If you then take dutasteride and continue to lose ground i dont think its a positive assumption to blame the drug for your hair loss.

You loose ground because its the process of going bald, not because you started using dutasteride. It's a drug taken to help with hairloss, i dont see how it could negatively effect your hair unless you are in the unlucky 2% category.

Obsidian

Reaction score
But if it is not failing on him or giving him sides, why should he change? You don't fix something if it's not broken.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
I never said he should or shouldn't take it. I only mentioned that if he decides to start dutasteride, remind yourself why you're taking it and dont blame the drug so much if your hair loses maintenance, such as Timi stated.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Whoops, misread the statement.

G

Timi,

The hairloss you experienced may be due to your hairloss, not due to dutasteride. Don't blame dutas. There are so many guys who switched from finasteride to dutasteride and got amazing results

T

Timi

Sonic-X

i am 45 Years Old
15Years finasteride my Hair was good!!!! the last 2Years with dutasteride and all sh*t

i have lost arround the Head 50%my Hairs Front 75%
all Hairs get to straw and become a Yellowish Color
i had never Hairloss arround the Head and thinnig all Hairs

but th last 2Years with minoxidil (Foam)
can minoxidil make all Hairs so bad???
shedding arround the ears -Neck and so on

i think No or??? it must be dutasteride that works so bad for me

i have stoped dutasteride and minoxidil take finasteride allone
that was all the Years the best for me

Timi

G

thenational,

I did read your regimen button. You're using dutasteride twice a week as well as finasteride a day.
Can you say the addition of dutasteride(twice a week) has been beneficial(i mean better results, regrowth, etc) ?

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
Iv been on it about 3 months and so far iv noticed next to no shedding when i shower any more, which is a positive step as maintenance is my main goal.

As for side effects they are non existant, havent noticed anything in the slightest, i just never think about them to be honest. I feel a lot of side effect contribution is mental attitude.

Thats just the way i look at it though.

G

Thanks thenational,

I wanted your opinion on this.
Adding dutasteride to my regimen twice a week while taking finasteride 7 times a week as well, isn't better, than taking finaster 5 times a week and dutast twice a week? Will there be any reaction between them?

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
I honestly dont know if the drugs will coincide with one another, i actually got inspiration for taking dutasteride twice a week from the forummer ShadowX. I believed i was slowly losing ground but still felt finasteride was helping so i didn't want to change a good thing (too much).
I only take finasteride 5 times a week and dutasteride twice, i dont see the point in taking two dose's of different drugs on the same day. I also read that dutasteride has a half life of 5 weeks, roughly , so i don't feel there really is any need to take it everyday if the drug is that potent.

Are you thinking of taking dutasteride along with finasteride?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sonic-X said:
Adding dutasteride to my regimen twice a week while taking finasteride 7 times a week as well, isn't better, than taking finaster 5 times a week and dutast twice a week? Will there be any reaction between them?

Probably not, but why take a chance? I don't think it's a good idea to use those two drugs at the same time. Use one or the other only.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
thenational said:
I only take finasteride 5 times a week and dutasteride twice, i dont see the point in taking two dose's of different drugs on the same day. I also read that dutasteride has a half life of 5 weeks, roughly , so i don't feel there really is any need to take it everyday if the drug is that potent.

The half-life of dutasteride depends to a considerable extent on the level in your blood. The often quoted figure of "5 weeks" (which is actually probably closer to 4 weeks) applies to the steady-state level of the drug that you get when you take an Avodart capsule every day. It declines significantly when you take less and less of the drug. At a dosage of 0.5 mg only twice a week, the half-life is probably only around three or four days.

One more thing: ever since dutasteride came out, there's been a great deal of confusion over its pharmacokinetics. People have _constantly_ been saying things like "dutasteride has a long half-life, so there's not really any need to take it every day, because it's so potent." That statement is ambiguous and misleading for other reasons than just the fact that the half-life declines at lower doses. dutasteride is about three times more potent than finasteride on a molecule-for-molecule basis, but you also have to keep in mind that with normal use, dutasteride builds up in the bloodstream. Its greater "potency" comes about from BOTH of those aspects. If you reduce the dosage to only twice a week, you will significantly reduce the amount in your blood. Ultimately, taking dutasteride twice a week will only be a little more effective than taking Propecia every day.

G

Thanks thenational for the reply and the info

That's right mate
I am thinking of adding dutasteride to my regimen twice a week while taking finasteride a day as well. I am thinking of taking finaster in the morning and dutasteride in the midday just to prevent the reaction between them. I am sure that this will be a great addition to my regimen as I want to achieve more regrowth.

Best of luck with everything mate.......