Thinking About Going On Propecia, Questions

glideoverthis

My Regimen
Reaction score
i just want to know how low of dose can i go to get good results while also reducing chances of side effects? i plan on stopping it if i get any.

any long term harm that it can cause in low doses? cancer risk, etc?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well the dosage curve for finasteride is flat. So studies found that 0.05mg yields the same reduction in DHT (and presumably results) as 1mg. As side effects are believed to be as a result of the suppression of the enzyme that converts test to DHT, the side effects will be the same at any dose...However, anecdotal reports of users show that when people cut from 1mg to .5mg or even less, then the sides diminished somewhat.

Perhaps try .5mg or even 0.25mg a day and see if you get sides. If not, carry on or increase. Do remember however that just because you dont 'feel' sides, doesn't mean they're not occurring internally.

glideoverthis

My Regimen
Reaction score
what sides occur internally? i just don't wanna mess up my health because in the long run i would rather be bald and healthy, rather than have hair and have cancer, or sever irreversible side effects

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
what sides occur internally? i just don't wanna mess up my health because in the long run i would rather be bald and healthy, rather than have hair and have cancer, or sever irreversible side effects

Well thats the problem with finasteride. Some people have taken it and after 10 years get blood work done that appears relatively normal, whilst others have gotten blood work and whilst they feel normal, their bodies have sort of changed and adapted their hormonal structure in a weird way. Like converting excess test to estrogen and having way too much estrogen, or others experience some weird testosterone resistance.

Look at it this way. If the thought of such things happening to you bothers you more than the idea of hairloss in the future - then dont take it. If hair loss will depress and bother you more than the (potential) side effects of finasteride, then maybe try it.

glideoverthis

My Regimen
Reaction score
ive started taking green tea, circumin, cocunut oil, saw palmetto, multivitmain and nizoral shampoo 3 times a week as some of these reduce dht and also have positive effects, i also read that inflammation is a big part of male pattern baldness , so lots of inflammation reducers. if these don't work, i guess ill try finasteride low dose.
i am thinning mainly on top on crown. ive read minoxidil cause collagen reduction making you look older, so i don't want that. i assume it just depends on the individual wether this stuff would work at regrowing and maintaining

Last edited:

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
ive started taking green tea, circumin, cocunut oil, saw palmetto, multivitmain and nizoral shampoo 3 times a week as some of these reduce dht and also have positive effects, i also read that inflammation is a big part of male pattern baldness , so lots of inflammation reducers. if these don't work, i guess ill try finasteride low dose.
i am thinning mainly on top on crown. ive read minoxidil cause collagen reduction making you look older, so i don't want that. i assume it just depends on the individual wether this stuff would work at regrowing and maintaining

Unfortunately natural remedies wont be enough to reverse male pattern baldness - perhaps only slow it down slightly. .25mg of finasteride should reduce DHT by the same amount as 1mg so side effects shouldnt actually be reduced unfortunately... but start low if you do chose to anyway. Thats true about Minoxidil it can cause your skin to age.

How old are you ?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are other options like topical AAs such as RU. Along with PGD2 suppressors like setipiprant (oral and topical)

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
do any of those have less side effects? like less severe than finasteride?

Yes they have less side effects however a lot of the topical AAs are experimental compounds so there always that unknown risk.

Seti is actually being trialed as a hair loss drug at 2g a day. You can buy it from Chinese suppliers but matching the dose of their trials will cost about 10/11 $ a day...

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was thinking just like you about sides before I started.... so I started off with 0.25mg... I'm coming up on the 1 month mark this week no real horror story side effects, I got ball ache the first few days, watery/less of a load little bit of brain fog other than that everything seems fine so far il stay at 0.25 for another month or so see how the body and hair reacts and maybe bump up to 0.5mg and hold it there and see what happens

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People talk on here as if Finasteride will 100% give you side effects when in fact it's suppose to be 2% of people who are effected. What gives?
So if anyone takes finasteride they will see sides? How can they get away will selling it at that rate.