Thinking about expediting this process by going straight to transplants

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 27 and like an nw2.5. Feeling really impatient, and honestly the idea of just waiting around to see if I respond well to finasteride or not seems potentially anti-productive. From what I gather my hairloss is most likely following the same path as my father, who is 60 and an nw4ish(definitely didn't get my mother's side...grandfather died in his 80's with full head of hair). Honestly I don't see myself being nearly as concerned with my appearance when I reach 45-50, so I'm thinking if nw4 at 60 is what's in store for me, I may be able to maintain a fullish head of hair with just transplants. Obviously I need to speak with a hair transplant doctor, but what are your thoughts, fellow male pattern baldness sufferers?

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
get on finasteride anyway as it will maintain for years and then slow down any future balding

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 27 and like an nw2.5. Feeling really impatient, and honestly the idea of just waiting around to see if I respond well to finasteride or not seems potentially anti-productive. From what I gather my hairloss is most likely following the same path as my father, who is 60 and an nw4ish(definitely didn't get my mother's side...grandfather died in his 80's with full head of hair). Honestly I don't see myself being nearly as concerned with my appearance when I reach 45-50, so I'm thinking if nw4 at 60 is what's in store for me, I may be able to maintain a fullish head of hair with just transplants. Obviously I need to speak with a hair transplant doctor, but what are your thoughts, fellow male pattern baldness sufferers?

This is NOT HOW IT WORKS! I will tell you what will happen if there is a surgeon lacking enough ethics to perform an hair transplant on you, and I will sign a contract betting $1,000 this is exactly what will happen.

1) You find a surgeon that will perform this on you without you being on any maintenance medications
2) you go through with it. YEAH!! By 8-12 months I will have a thick head of NW1 hair and my life be complete.
3) Instead, the trauma from surgery caused rapid hair loss of NATIVE hair, you get Telogen Effluvium and become diffuse thin every where
4) IT DOESN'T GROW BACK or if it does, it grows back thin and whispy, or it grows back and falls out again. WHY? Because you're not on finasteride
5) You spend the next few years depressed, and trying various different treatments. They may work, they may not.

I am not saying this only because it is my personal story - but because it is the story of THOUSANDS of others. Research it. Look it up. DON'T F*CKING DO IT.

- - - Updated - - -

Before you completely destroy your hair take one thing into account - The top leading, well respected, IAHRS surgeons WILL NOT perform on you, unless you are on finasteride and have shown maintenance of your existing hair. If you want to ruin your life ASAP, just call Bosley. They will do it for you really quick.

shookwun

Reaction score
As someone who has experience with transplants, they do work but it's all smoke, and mirrors.

The right lighting, and angle will still make you look balding while the appropriate settings can make you look like you have a decent head of hair.

They work, but it's a coin toss. Those with fine hair will never have a good result. If you can see through your forelock, then it'll be 2x that on your temples.

Need rely good donor density to pull it off.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Yes have to agree, I think too many people just assume a hair transplant is a quick fix, they don't realise that hair transplant's look very bad compared to a natural NW1. Density is a huge issue and unless you dense pack it and have very thick hair everywhere else then you likely won't be happy with the result.

shookwun

Reaction score
Look at your forelock on an angle, if it's transparent to the point where you can see your scalp towards the mid area then magnify that by 2.0 on how your temples will look.

The results that hair transplant doctors post up are a showcase of their best results.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I guess it's good I've got this forum with you people to keep me from making foolish, impulsive decisions lol. I think I'll give finasteride and min a shot and keep surgery on the back burner for now.