Think I'm Experiencing Brain Fog On Finasteride?

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know propecia could cause depression, fatigue or brain fog prior to taking it. The mental and physical fatigue was absolutely not a placebo.

I think it's a fantastic drug but let's not downplay the fact that people can have adverse reactions. Incidently I think the long term sexual sides are a load of shite.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was made for guys who couldn't piss with swollen prostates. Not for young kids. I hope down the road you don't regret taking it God bless those who it works for. I wish I could hsve been one of them

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I started fiansteride almost a week ago, the only side effects I noticed before was a slight ball ache and watery semen and I still have them, I've heard those side effects are quite common and go away. My libido and everything else is fine and if it makes a difference I'm taking 0.5mg everyday. I first noticed it a day or two, I don't know if it's just placebo because when i experienced the other two side effects I got really worried and my head felt weird so it could be that. The thing is brain fog isn't even listed as an official side effect and I was reading that anxiety and depression can cause it which I both have. Some people who experience it say they ride it for a month or so and it's fine but I've got exams in the coming month which is my main concern.

The feeling is weird it's a bit hard to explain it feels like I'm zoned out or kind of detached form my body a little, I don't know if it's had any effect on my memory though.
Did it go away?

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I started fiansteride almost a week ago, the only side effects I noticed before was a slight ball ache and watery semen and I still have them, I've heard those side effects are quite common and go away. My libido and everything else is fine and if it makes a difference I'm taking 0.5mg everyday. I first noticed it a day or two, I don't know if it's just placebo because when i experienced the other two side effects I got really worried and my head felt weird so it could be that. The thing is brain fog isn't even listed as an official side effect and I was reading that anxiety and depression can cause it which I both have. Some people who experience it say they ride it for a month or so and it's fine but I've got exams in the coming month which is my main concern.

The feeling is weird it's a bit hard to explain it feels like I'm zoned out or kind of detached form my body a little, I don't know if it's had any effect on my memory though.
Did you stop cold turkey? And how long did it take to go away afterward? I stopped 3 days ago and still have horrible derealization and brain fog

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean its scientific proven that it affects neurosteroids and the brain chemistry..honestly id stop

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
i might add that i only took 0.25mg
just wait if you took more than that.
Ah okay thanks. Yeah I took 1mg, 1mg, day off, 1mg, stopped - and now I have this horrible confusing brainfog. It’s been three days since I’ve been off and it’s driving me nuts

g.i joey

Reaction score
No,never ever take Finasteride tablet on important days like Exam/weddings/functions.

I am not talking about sexual effects.
I felt it affected my alertness levels on such critical days.
I have no scientific data to back this.

I don't think its Nocebo but still,its best to avoid in exam duration.

This is actually great advice.... I noticed I have a little more anxiety on the days I take propecia, nothing major but I do feel off.

for example, a class presentation on a day that intake finasteride is soooo much more nerve wrecking, and feels almost impossible to overcome the anxiety, but if I take my dose on a Monday and have a presebtation Wednesday, that sh*t is literally a breeze, I construct my thoughts and what I’m going to say a lot more fluently than if I were on a dose of propecia.

The weird thing is, some days I can take a dose and still feel spry as f***, but I’ve honestly tested this tooo many times for it to be just nocebo

what I do is take it sun-thurs and take the weekend off.

Literally 26 hours after my last dose I feel a lot more alert/on the ball/witty and after 48 hours of my last dose the “brain fog” is completely gone.

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
i hope that you're feeling normal again @Mattb
I’m feeling normal again, but it took about 10 days off the drug and it was intense and scary. I only had mental sides, and now I need to worry about this “crash” everyone speaks of. It’s just insane that even though I feel better I still have to worry about this. Thanks a ton for asking.

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score

Min0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man check out lions mane. Haven’t don’t too much research, but I hear it blocks a good amount of DHT, along with other positive mental effects.
nice to hear that you're ok.
for me i'm leaving DHT alone, i'm recently researching Seti/Fevi.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
haha I don't think I'm that crazy yet, I still choose to trust the scientific studies, there's no official report of brain fog as far as I'm aware. I hope this is just placebo.
I had brain fog to. ...and it was.real

Merica

My Regimen
Reaction score
The brain fog is real but just for those pre disposed to have that side effect. If your wondering if your having brain fog then your not having brain fog it's not something you wonder about, it's intense and very disturbing.I took finasteride for seventeen years with no brain fog, I switched to dutasteride and got cognitive slammed hard. Still working back from it, it's been a year. Headaches daily, balance problems and word finding problems. I Skyped Dr Alan Jacobs the New York neuroendrocronologist that has been working with these post finasteride cases. He confirmed what many of us already suspected, the 5ar blockers decimate the neurosteroids in the brain which causes the amygdala to go into hyperactive mode as it no longer has the calming gaba and alopreg that keep it in check. If you check all the cognitive symptoms everyone has they are all symptoms of anxiety. He says 99.99% will recover. I am supplementing with creatine and sorghum to increase 5ar activity. Dr Jacobs put me on Ativan for the short term to help calm the brain activity. I am also meditating to help calm the stress receptors. Btw I have managed to keep a full thick head of hair and I'm off the finasteride and dutasteride for a year, check my regimen...it actually works and I've been losing since my 20's I'm 48 .

UserNamesMustBeUnique

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, just registered to join this conversation. I use finasteride now for minimal 3 years. 1 MG of dose each 2 days (sometimes I forget to take and take it the 3rd day). As the latter might even be because ever since I'm a lost object "brain fog" which you guys describe here. Often late, forgetting what I'm busy with and zoning out some of the numerous examples. I even forget to text people back after I open a text message or totally forget why I opened my phone for.

Recently I notice sometimes I'm totally feeling disorientated, like energy level to maximum and feeling totally weird at the same time. Like 1000% on coffee. This happens a couple of hours after I take finasteride. Now I'm wondering if this side effect isn't causing me more harm than my hair-loss. Lowering to 0.5 mg each two days or totally stop at all. I mean, I have a good running company, a innovative start-up project on the side and things feel to fall apart with me in the my state right now.