There will be no civil war and I'm proud of America today.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I side with the republicans on many issues. And as a republican I actually feel good about America today.
In my view Obama hit it out of the park last night with his speech. And Mccain conceded with class. Seeing
that unfold last night makes me feel like I did after 9/11... united. Regardless of your political views you have
to credit Obama for his ability to get this done and you have to be happy for him and our country. You have
to be happy seeing the crowds that came out to see his speech. You have to appreciate the historical
significance. You have to be proud to be American.

I hope every Republican gives him a chance. I don't agree with him on many, if any issues. But we are
going into a battle. A battle to save our way of life, a battle to save our country. And with that in mind
I'll choose a great leader over someone that agrees with me any day. I saw something different last night
in Obama. I think he is a leader like we have not seen in a LONG time, maybe ever. And unlike all the
politicians in recent history Obama seems to have "it". I see the possibility of him being the greatest
leader of this generation. Bigger than Reagan, bigger than JFK. The past two Democratic candidates, pale
in comparison to the aura of Obama. I think Obama's leadership can unite us, but the divisive polities must end
today. He got a great start with his speech last night but he's got to control the old guard of Polsie and Reed.
They will continue to rip this country apart if he does not silence them. Our country depends on it.

So as a republican let me say congrats to Obama and congrats to his supporters, good for you guys. Now
get busy and get this thing fixed. Washington.... you have fours years to work together and fix this mess, and if
you don't, I say we toss every last one of you out. We don't have much time left.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I’m glad you guys are happy, but he hasn’t done anything yet. Just remember Hitler was great at speeches. I’m not saying he is like Hitler...lol, I’m just saying speeches don’t make you a great president.

I am undecided on the man. I think he talks the talk, but let us see if he walks the walk.

Tony Blair talked the talk....but he was sh*t...

I'm not American so my view means nothing anyway... :)

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe that he walked the walk when he did not come out last night and give
a divisive speech after what we republicans have put him through. He rose above
it and that is what I think we need. And that shows real leadership. McCain did too... too
bad he was too late.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow... what a difference a day makes. It's politics as usual for Obama I guess. I'll have
to take back all the good things I said if his choice of Rahm Emanuel as
COS is any clue. I cannot think of a more partisan player in Washington.

Wow just wow... a truly jaw droppingly poor pick.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I think Rahm Emmanuel is a solid choice for chief of staff. The guy gets sh*t done, period.

I know the conservative talking heads are all whining about him being a partisan Democrat, and that's true, but chief of staff is NOT a policy formulation position. I think Alan Colmes put it well when he said that the chief of staff's job is to make sure that "the trains run on time" and serves as a traffic manager for how the executive office runs.

Rahm Emmanuel is a proven adminstrator, has a fat rolodex of DC players, and is a Chicago guy so Obama feels comfortable with him. A newbie to DC NEEDS a person like Emmanuel to steer an adminstration through the bureaucracy.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I think Rahm Emmanuel is a solid choice for chief of staff. The guy gets sh*t done, period.

I know the conservative talking heads are all whining about him being a partisan Democrat, and that's true, but chief of staff is NOT a policy formulation position. I think Alan Colmes put it well when he said that the chief of staff's job is to make sure that "the trains run on time" and serves as a traffic manager for how the executive office runs.

Rahm Emmanuel is a proven adminstrator, has a fat rolodex of DC players, and is a Chicago guy so Obama feels comfortable with him. A newbie to DC NEEDS a person like Emmanuel to steer an adminstration through the bureaucracy.

I totally agree. Emmanuel might have been considered partly due to the service he's done to the party, but he's an organizer and a motivator. I think its a very good pick (I've also met him a few times, he is, among other things, a good tipper). Some of Obama's staff is going to be staunchly liberal, thats just the way it is. I would reserve judgement until more appointments are made.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
tembo said:
I prefer Israel being an independent country, but at some point it has to be privately supported by the rich American jews and not by politicians. I guess Emmanuel will convince Obama to bomb Iran for a brief period like Syria and Pakistan at the moment.

No, I'm pretty certain this will absolutely not happen. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the importance of this post. Chief of Staff is not a policy-setting position, its an administrative position. Emmanuel essentially has to be the bad cop so Obama can be the good cop. It will be his job to make sure that agenda that has been set is carried out. Even assuming for the moment that this was not the case, and that Emmanuel will have input on policy, I simply don't see him persuading Obama into direct military action against Iran. You have to understand that most of the attacks against Emmanuel are not so much based on his politics, but on his ability to get things done, which was directly responsible for the Dems taking over the house in the 2006 midterm elections. This caused a lot of bad feeling among the Republicans who sought to blame him for their loss.

The Gardener

Reaction score
tembo said:
Emanuel’s father: His son will not “clean the floors of the White Houseâ€￾ like an Arab

I'm sure a lot of people have fathers who have made comments based on stale ideologies of the past. Many fathers were born into a societal context or location, decades ago, where the thinking was different than it is right now. Times have changed. Significantly. And you can't blame an American immigrant son for comments made by his father, who grew up in a completely different continent, in a different country, and a far more blinkered and contentious time in history.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
tembo said:
Emanuel’s father: His son will not “clean the floors of the White Houseâ€￾ like an Arab

http://www.infowars.com/?p=5826

First of all, I agree with Gardener. Rep. Emmanuel is not responsible for the words of his father. Second, did you actually read that article? His father wasn't making a slur against arabs. He was saying that Rahm isn't arab, so he will be pro-israel. I'm surprised you misinterpreted that, I don't think arabs being floor cleaners is really a common stereotype.