There Most Probably is a Reason we Lose Our Hair - Darwin

freudling

Reaction score
male pattern baldness is undeniable. The "horseshoe." It is like some piece of twisted art to look at. That classic, in abundance horseshoe pattern. The hairs around the sides stay until we die, save for alopecia areta. But I think the latter is less frequent than male pattern baldness. The purpose? It marks maturity, a trait selected for regarding reproductive attractiveness.

Ok, so baldness is not that attractive, but our genes are our genes. It could happend then that, over time in x culture, if a full head of hair was that important, future generations would have a larger abudance of hair. That is, women would mate with men who have full heads of hair, and not with bald men. The latter genes would fade and future generations will have a greater amount of complimented hair genes from both sides (Gene AB: Hair gene from mother and hair gene from father, both dominant). As it is, we have a mix out there.

A retort maybe that, why would this mark maturity if some very young men lose their hair (19-20, sometimes younger). Well, that is young for us now, but it was half life not too long ago. Males go through puberty around 13-18, so it makes sense that male pattern baldness would start shortly thereafter. In some cases, it is more gradual or appears later in life. Females go through puberty around 9-13. So we are geared to reproduce at a young age.

But the "bald trait" is still around, and attractive women reproduce with bald/balding men. Usually, men with nice hair look younger and better than bald men. What is happening?

In research regarding what traits females look for in men associated with (a) a short-term relationship (b) a long-term relationship, their opinions were a consensus, but each of the latter cases brought forth different conclusions. In (a), females looked for more manly, rugged men. This would be the tall, dark and handsome with little regard for brains. But when (b) was discussed, that image left the scene, and women preferred brains over the looks. They stated that men should be grounded, looks playing somewhat of a role but not to the extent of the (a) scenario.

So baldness may even attract a long-term companion. However, in todays age, this gene maybe deemed "residual" with little evoluntionary purpose now. Although, it still might attract females. So, we have a trait that was selected for years past, that is now "residual", but seems to linger in that females are still attracted to it.

Think of it this way. Other traits over time have disappeared, since they are no longer needed and no longer attractive. If full-headed men, as a trait, was that important, that dominant, it would be disappearing rapidly.

Now, I know that a full-headed male can produce and balding son if he possesses a recessive male pattern baldness gene and his wife has a recessive one too, which is coded in the son. So, perhaps we have two things at play here: that women are attracted to bald men for the maturity aspect, and also by genetic chance: that the parents were both full-headed but their genetic combination brought about a male pattern baldness inflicted son.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
dude, women want good looking guys with loads of money who are stallions in bed and can beat up anyone who ever looks sideways at them....
however, "attraction" doesn't work like that. Emotions are blind pal and bald men can still be great men, which is what women are attracted to.

Britannia

Reaction score
made_guy82 said:
"attraction" doesn't work like that. Emotions are blind pal.

Attraction may be blind, but it cant half smell money.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Women, like men are subconsciously looking for a partner with good genetics. Weather you have hair or not is a minor piece of the puzzle. Sure it helps ascetically but there is so much more to it than simply having a bald scalp. Kind of like saying if a women does not have breasts of a certain size men will no longer see them as attractive.

When i see posts such as "women don't like bald men" or "I'll never get laid now i'm balding" etc etc i cannot help but think if they carry on telling themselves that then they will believe it and it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

For example, if i believed the world was a bad place i would look for the worst in everything to confirm that i'm right all along while discounting the good things about the world or human beings and in the process becoming a miserable arsehole that no one but like minded people would want to know, further cementing my view that the world is a hell hole.

EricTheGreen

Reaction score
freudling,

Thats the type of intelligent post I love. Of course on a deeper level that is true. Women reproduce with bald guys because the traits they value as most important do not include hair.

Thx BenjaminTheBlue

powersam

Reaction score
evolution happens on a grand scale, a scale which it seems is somewhat beyond your imagination. subtle changes take hundreds or thousands of years, and natural selection only comes into play when the person involved is actually breeding. When girls and boys got their drink on and their snack on and married at ages of between 12 and 16, male pattern baldness had little chance to show its ugly face therefore could not be said to be a part of the selection process. this has been mentioned before many times, but apparently the search function on this forum is beyond most. us chrome
dome freaks will be bred out of the gene pool sooner or later given a few odd environmental factors, mark my words.

on a side note, success will get you laid.

freudling

Reaction score
PowerSam:

My point is that, we mate later, and baldness perhaps marks maturity. Matuirty is something women are attracted to and thus, baldness is a trait women 'might' be attracted to.

Yes, I used the search function, thanks.

Britannia

Reaction score
Baldness is not an unattractive trait. If it were it would have been "bred out" of the human race a long time ago via survival of the fittest.

mattj

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's true. The bald guys, if they were considered unattractive, would mate with the less attractive women. There's a partner out there for even the ugliest of people.

Britannia

Reaction score
mattj said:
There's a partner out there for even the ugliest of people.

Even you?

powersam

Reaction score
the point i was making is that now we breed a lot later in life than we used to, therefore baldness has not ever had the chance to be bred out. until now of course. whether it is an unattractive trait or not is a question i can't answer.

EricTheGreen

Reaction score
Baldness

I'm 38 now and balding slightly. But at my age women are far more interested in other traits such as financial stability and ability to make them feel like the most attractive girl on earth. Experience in bed and sense of humour are bonuses also. Add to that if you work out, have a good body and nice smile and eyes, you would be surprised how many balding or bald men are attractive to 30 something stunning looking women :) Thick hair like a woman looks weird on men past a certain age anyway and doesnt match the face in my opinion.

Thx BenjaminTheBlue

liquidfirex

Reaction score
Baldness isn't a factor in attraction. Neil Strauss is "the worlds greatest pick up artists" and is bald, very bald.
Women are NOT like men, looks factor in very little. There are numerous studies that time and time again, say looks don't matter for females. The only time they matter is when YOU think they matter, at that point confidence wanes, and females DO care about confidence, and YOUR self image.

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah we have to take into acount the 'matching hypothesis' which would likely stop the 'bald gene' dying out to some extent.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
mattj said:
I don't think that's true. The bald guys, if they were considered unattractive, would mate with the less attractive women. There's a partner out there for even the ugliest of people.

so true

if a guy is not that good looking, as long as hes got the charm, he is very likely doing well in dating.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with mattj. If women view balding as ugly (and yes, many young attractive ones do), then MOST men (who are broke) will simply have to lower their standards in women they pursue. Sad, but a cut-and-dry truism. This just means that young, broke men will really have a much harder time (although this can sometimes be overcome with a kick-*** personality).

However, there is absolutely no guarantee that an attractive man who has all of his hair will be successful (especially if they are older, and still broke). Lets assume "Brad Pitt" was not a celebrity, had absolutely no personality/game, didn't know how to dress, etc. I guarantee you he would still be in pretty bad shape.