The Truth About Hairloss

1timepost

Reaction score
Well luckily I already ate right and worked out before my hairloss. I've never drank soda, I don't eat anything with sugar really, and everything I eat is high in protein. Actually I'm kind of a health/fitness nut haha.

Now I wish I had a NEW hobby but luckily my Playstation 3 can keep me away from the mirror for an hour or two haha. The mind is a weird thing because I'm not sure if I'm shedding more or less on Propecia because I honestly never looked at my pillow and hands until I started taking it. Either way I know I was going bald so even if Propecia does speed it up I figure better now then never. I guess now that I'm looking though I can see my hair getting worse week by week where as before I really wouldn't check.

Come back to my forum on the 3rd month and let me know how you're responding to it. Since were the same age I'm curious if I have anything to look forward to.

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
Good attitude. I took propecia, it worked like magic for a few years, now I'm going bald all over again. It's somehting I;ve had to live through twice. Its tough since I think I was pretyt much ok with it the first time. The only consolation is that I;'m a few years older now and its more common.

1timepost

Reaction score
How long did it work for? And did it thicken up your hair or completely stop hair loss?

And the PS3 is decent :) Not that many games, but XBOX doesn't have many either. I have Rainbow Six, Call of Duty 4, Fifa 08, and Metal Gear Solid and GTA is coming out so I have something to look forward to. Plus it's my blue ray player and MP3 player so it was definitely worth the investment. The only thing XBOX has to offer is Halo, which gets old after about 10 kills lol.

Have you taken minoxidil 30?

1timepost

Reaction score
Oh and my father didn't start losing it until his thirties either. I felt so embarrassed when I asked them to pay for my first few months of propecia and my dads like are you sure? I didn't even go bald until my thirties :[. What sucks is my mothers side is Italian and my brother got her side he is 25 with THICK THICK THICK wavy hair that hasn't budged since he was 18 and I'm stuck with the thin mop top haha :p

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm still 29, for another 3 months. I was basically a NW6 when I was 25, escept for a really $hitty covering of thin hair. At the time, I really didn't care all that much. I mean, I DID care, but not like some people on this site. I mean, I never contemplated killing myself. I took the big 3 all at the same time because I figured I had nothing to lose and maintenance wouldnt be worth anything. So yeah, I've been takign minoxidil for 4 years now. 1 year twice a day and the past 3 only at night.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I also have a PS3, but I only have a couple games, Skate and UT3, but I will get more once I buy a modem and subsribe to a service. Then I'll get COD4- but I actually can't wait until Killzone 2 and Battlefield Bad Company comes out. Dyk, GTA4 is gonna have online- that should be interesting.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I am planning to get one at the end of Feb as well!

1timepost

Reaction score
Just an update.

Just finished first month of propecia. For the last 2 weeks I've been shedding like a mofo. Hair EVERYWHERE, I was kinda taken back that shedding began so fast. Hair literally flys off my head, I sit at my computer and at any given time I'll look down and see 5 or 6 hairs on my desk that I just wiped off an hour ago. I can't even TOUCH my head or a hair is guaranteed to fall. PLUS, now I'm losing these REALLY weird hairs. They are like jet black and they feel like wire, I don't know how they come from my head but they do. I'm losing terminal non terminal long short etc.

It's def hurting my hairline and temples but I figure I obviously got on propecia because I was going bald anyway. I just keep reminding myself even if Propecia does accelerate my hairloss or ruin my hairline, I was going bald anyway. I'm just hoping I bounce back in 6 months and don't become one of the guys on this forum who come back and tell these shitty stories about how they shed for 11 months and never recovered. Luckily I don't care about my hairline or temples because I have Ashton Kucher and I can cover up my hairline but if the Propecia keeps causing this acceleration in diffuse thinning I'll be pretty fucked.

Either way I'm giving it a year whether I go completely bald or not. I was seriously considering stopping last night but I realized I was miserable before Propecia (the reason I got on it) so it only makes sense for me to give it the full year. Hows's your progress going Sowaa? And 30 going on 60 did you shed a lot in the beggining?

It's also quite disheartening to know that if I'm lucky this will work for 5 years. It's kind of ironic we have to take a pill that can potentially make our hair look like sh*t for a full year (maybe two for some) and then it only holds the hair you finally like MAYBE for another year or few years. For those of you new to to this thread I'd just like to remind you I'll never take dutasteride or Minoxidil.

Anywho, I'll be sure to update my thread in another month or two. -.- P.S., anyone starting propecia I highly suggest you shave your head no matter how bad it looks. I have long hair, and trust me, it's not fun shedding long hair. There's no doubt in my mind shedding would be less intense if I was shedding hair I couldnt see instead of shedding 20 hairs at a that look like if they were tied together It'd be able to make a 100 foot long string of hair. lol

1timepost

Reaction score
Hey, I originally put this in the Shedding forum but I'll put it here as well to tell people following this thread what's going on.

And sowaa, it sounds WAY worse then your shed.

Hi,

I've been on Propecia for 29 days. Two weeks in I've been shedding hair and it's been getting worse, much worse. Literally fall hairs out all night and day. Showers make me sick, each time I literally TOUCH my hand through my hair I easily get 10+ hairs or more. I lose easily over 50-100 hairs in the shower, wake up with 20+ on my pillow, lose another 20 in the sink during drying, etc, etc.

Now I've only been on the pill for 29 days and I haven't taken my last pill. I plan on waiting until Fri for my bloodtests to see if I will continue taking it. Now, I've only taken it for less then a month so if I DID stop, do you think the shed will continue for a long time? My temples and hairlines have been hit hard in less then 29 days, and I'd rather go bald slowly like before then quickly like I am now.

I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS, PROPECIA INCREASES HAIRLOSS (atleast for me I have no doubt that it works for others. My father took it for 7 years and he said he never had a serious shed). I NEVER woke up with hairs on my pillow, RARELY had hairs in the shower, and now my room is COVERED in hair, no exaggeration. PLUS I have long hair so believe me, it's easy to notice shedding. My own dermatologist said in all his years no patient has reported EXCESSIVE shedding like I have and especially this quickly.

I'm shocked a shed began not even two weeks into treatment, and it's THIS intense. I'm curious peoples opinions out there. Should I stop cut my losses and hope my hair goes back to a normal shedding cycle, or plow through this and continue on a medicine that seemingly has VERY negative effects on me. No side effects, but in all honesty after being on this for a month I don't think I'm psychologically prepared to handle the ups and downs. Trust me, this is a VERY bad shed, I went from my hair slowly thinning and not PHYSICALLY noticing it during the day, to seeing hair cover my laptop every 30 minutes.

So basically, seeing as how my shed is this horrendous this quickly in and it doesn't seem to be letting up should I just stop and go back to balding slowly? I'd rather go bald slowly over a few years then have these horrendous ups and downs (IF THERE EVEN IS UPS. Id seriously become depressed if I CHOSE to stick with propecia for a year plus and it only do what I fear it's doing currently)

P.S. by Friday I'll have missed 3 days of my Propecia. Any thoughts on that?

PLEASE GIVE OPINIONS BEFORE FRI

1timepost

Reaction score
Just an update. I will no longer be taking Propecia. This is my THIRD day off it (I've only been on it for 29 days) and what do I notice!? NOT A SINGLE HAIR ON MY PILLOW. Well this is odd, because for the past 2 weeks I've seen 20 waking every morning. I take a shower...what is this!??? ONLY 5 or 10 hairs? Not 100 like before? I go to dry my hair over the sink!? What is this? 1 or 2? Not 30?

I had my appointment today with my derm and even HE advised I discontinue propecia. He said hes had 100's of patients and none have describes a SEVERE increase in shedding. For all of you out there who are starting off your treatment and experiencing a similar shed to mine, it is MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION, that you discontinue the medicine immediately. In 29 days my hairline and crown have been SEVERELY HIT, and I know for a fact that what took years to get thin, got even thinner in a matter of a few weeks. (I originally started on propecia to be preemptive).

I think the problem is for us young people especially, when we notice a little recession or a bit of thinning we immediately freak out due to our age and rush to start throwing things in our mouths and onto our heads. Beyond the fact that Propecia severely impacted my hairline, the drug is a TOTAL mindfuck. Your constantly wondering WILL IT COME BACK, SHOULD I STOP AND PRAY MY HAIR COMES BACK OR SHOULD I KEEP GOING BECAUSE I'M STUCK!? I cant IMAGINE those of you who are 6 months in and have to make the decision to stop or keep going. I've only been on it a month and I agonized for 10 hours straight on what to do.

Needless to say, its SO much less stressful knowing I'm going bald NATURALLY then AM I BALDING FASTER BECAUSE OF PROPECIA OR BECAUSE MY HAIRLOSS IS GETTING WORSE. True I'll now still be balding, but I can tell you RIGHT now mentally I feel SOOOOO much better (just due to the mind games) and it's nice to NOT BE AFRAID OF MY f*****g SHOWER ANYMORE. I literally wouldn't shower for 3 days on end because I couldn't bare to see hair completely cover my hands.

I don't blame myself OR propecia. I made a logical and conscious decision to take action and try and treat my hairloss early. Unfortunately it didn't work. Does it suck? You bet it does, but I know my intentions were good and I'm willing to cut my losses. My father took propecia and said he never had a significant shed. If you notice, ALOT of the posts in forums about successful propecia users (were talking the 5+ years users) never had a serious shed. (my father was on it for 6 years). My own derm said in all his years not a single patient came back and mentioned the fact they were unhappy with the drug due to extensive shedding.

Yes I know, no before and after pictures, your mind plays tricks on you, so on and so on. I don't give a sh*t what you think :] I know my hair best and I'm an EXTREMELY logical person who isn't influenced easily by power of suggestion. Today is clear proof (to me atleast) that Propecia was NOT the way to go. Even if it DID grow back a year later, I'm not mentally equipped to deal with the mindfuck this drug causes due to the ups and downs and what if what nots should I have done this or should I have done that.

NOW, if I get to the day where I NATURALLY shed as many hairs as I was shedding on Propecia, then sure it's worth the payoff. But with a full head of hair (now much thinner with a worse crown and hairline) I don't see the point in playing russian roulette with my body and head. Plus, I thought to myself, I'm 21, if I get lucky the drug will work WELL for 5 years (if I'm lucky some works for 10 years plus). Then I have to go through this f*****g garbage AGAIN later on and life and then come off the drug lose a SHITLOAD of hair (as my father did when he stopped), worry about side effects, and then be depressed ALL over again.

Personally, I've decided it's healthier for me to go naturally bald then delay the inevitable. I don't want the rug pulled from under me TWICE. I'd rather accept this NOW then have 6 years of my life occupied with worrying and sitting in front of the mirror like I was on Propecia. Propecia actually DID help. Now I can look at my hair and say, oh im balding, thats life. Where for 29 days I would think to myself...omg...I'm going to be bald next year...will this be better...wont it...what do i do when it stops working...what do I do if I need to raise my mg to dutasteride?

The payoff isnt there for me mentally or cosmetically. I believe this drug works and I believe there are people and shed who ride it out. Personally, like I said even if I made a mistake and didn't let the drug do its thing, I don't personally believe going from not shedding to losing 200 hairs a day is normal AND OR POSITIVE. My derm agreed, my father agreed, and his hair transplant Doctor that he spoke to agreed.

Sorry for the long post but this seems to be my final acceptance of NATURAL hairloss until something like HM comes along (which by the I'll probably be to old to care what the fucks on my head)

I wish luck to all of you and I'd like to thank you again everyone for helping talk things out with me.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Isn't it such a cruel game that these companies play with us? It's not worth it and it is definitely not with our best interests in mind. I think its designed to suck the life and money out of vulnerable people and line the pockets of the almighty pharmaceutical industry.