The TRUTH about hairloss here:5 Years Later:Aged 16 - 22

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
I just happened to look through my profile and archived posts. I am 22, i posted on this site when i first started going bald at aged 16.

Wow, its staggering to look back at my old posts and see the way i thought before. I even posted here about genuinely considering suicide. That was the lowest point in my life.

My vanity stole years of my life. I was a child i suppose, i could not accept hairloss. I thought that if i lost my hair that i would be ugly and therefore that i would become worthless and pathetic.

Im writing this message because the truth about hairloss is that it does not matter. It can become an obsession, it is possible to lose your personality in it, it is possible to become so brainwashed that you believe that only if your hair was better then your life would be better then you would be better.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

The truth is that as man you are judged on your actions and words. You are not judged on how much hair you have. Of course, if you harbour beliefs that your hairloss has detrimented your identity then you will find that others treat you negatively but it is not because of your hair it is because of what you believe. It is because you are weak and because you are constantly seeking the validation and acceptance of others.

f*ck the validation and acceptance of others. Dont be self conscious. Happiness is not something elusive that you can find in external things like women and money. Happiness is a choice. You decide how you feel.

Gossip magazines, trash movies, advertsing: they all say that if you're not beautiful you're worthless. Afterall thats why you spend money on Rogaine, on spironolactone, on propecia.

ITS ALL A LIE. Be an individual, not a puppet.

Accept baldness, take control of your own life, be strong, believe in yourself.

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
Accepting it does not mean i enjoy it.

Perhaps my circumstances are exceptional. My message is simply: Once hairloss begins you cannot put your life, your personal development on hold in the hope that potions x,y and z will return your hair to the state it was before hairloss was an issue.

Route66

Reaction score
Last blade said:
Dont waste your time on these forums!!! The only thing stopping you getting what you want is your attitude not your hair.

He wrote this in March 2008, and he's still here!

These forums are full of men who tell others that they've got to man up, and accept it, but they can't do that themselves.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Guys, why don't you just take the underlying message of Lost Blade's post, which is that hair loss is not the end of the world although it does seem like it, especially when you're younger.

Lost blade is only trying to tell you not to go to hard on yourselves. Not a hanging offence is it?, or shall we hang him anyway :woot:

Reaction score
Probably the only real important thing that concerns me about hair loss and baldness is whether or not it will cause to me to miss employment opportunities. Sure, people are more accepting of the buzzed head or bald look nowadays, but still I wonder if I will get in a situation where a potential employer will pass over me for a job and hire someone else will a more fuller head of hair.

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score
DragonQuestFan said:
Probably the only real important thing that concerns me about hair loss and baldness is whether or not it will cause to me to miss employment opportunities. Sure, people are more accepting of the buzzed head or bald look nowadays, but still I wonder if I will get in a situation where a potential employer will pass over me for a job and hire someone else will a more fuller head of hair.
Doubt it, I would think they'd go for the right man for the job not the man with the most hair. Unless your auditioning to be a in a shampoo add or something.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
What Norwood are you Last blade?

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I will have to take the middle ground here and steer right down the center of what Last Blade is saying.

Yes, it's absolutely true that the only person that can define you in life is you. And yes, there are a lot of kids on this site that are absolutely over-reacting and misjudging their mild hairloss and likely becoming far too superficial/narcissistic/vain in the process. I don't think anyone can disagree with you on that, and of that issue I think your point is well-taken and well-deserved.

But at the same time, I do believe there are lot of people on this site who truly have been faced with serious male pattern baldness from an early age and are independent and intelligent enough to know that they deserve a better look if they so desire. We do live in a very superficial and commercial society in which the media provides us with an unrealistic standard upon which to base our self-image--they want you to feel self-conscious and they want you to feel worthless so you will buy their products. And yet, I think there are many like myself on this site who don't want to look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, but just want to maintain or regrow what they have. Not for anyone else. Simply for the self.

I would also be curious to know what Norwood stage you are at Last Blade--as there are different platitudes of male pattern baldness, which I am not totally sure you are aware of. Becoming completely bald at 23-24 is ALWAYS a very traumatic experience, whatever the ultimate outcome. It changes a person; trust me, I know a few.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
Gene_Fighter said:
I think I will have to take the middle ground here and steer right down the center of what Last Blade is saying.

Yes, it's absolutely true that the only person that can define you in life is you. And yes, there are a lot of kids on this site that are absolutely over-reacting and misjudging their mild hairloss and likely becoming far too superficial/narcissistic/vain in the process. I don't think anyone can disagree with you on that, and of that issue I think your point is well-taken and well-deserved.

But at the same time, I do believe there are lot of people on this site who truly have been faced with serious male pattern baldness from an early age and are independent and intelligent enough to know that they deserve a better look if they so desire. We do live in a very superficial and commercial society in which the media provides us with an unrealistic standard upon which to base our self-image--they want you to feel self-conscious and they want you to feel worthless so you will buy their products. And yet, I think there are many like myself on this site who don't want to look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, but just want to maintain or regrow what they have. Not for anyone else. Simply for the self.

I would also be curious to know what Norwood stage you are at Last Blade--as there are different platitudes of male pattern baldness, which I am not totally sure you are aware of. Becoming completely bald at 23-24 is ALWAYS a very traumatic experience, whatever the ultimate outcome. It changes a person; trust me, I know a few.

good post...its true. Going bald young does suck....I'm personally caught in the dilemna of.."should I try to maintain or regrow with propecia and/or rogaine...or should acceept it and continue shaving my head?" The first choice would be benefitial if it worked without side effects...but obviously potential side effects are an issue...and then there is also the issue of being a slave to the medications...and the uncertainty of whether they will work or not. The benefit to shaving your head is that if you pull it off...it can eliminate the need for all of this worry or concern...and I think that if you can frame it properly in your mind...you can use it to distinguish yourself from the crowd, which to me...has always been an appealing thought. I like being different in a positive way.

BaldNative

Reaction score
DragonQuestFan said:

I would be more concerned about you're punctuation than you're hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
BaldNative said:

You're punctuation. :whistle:

barcafan

Reaction score
BaldNative said:
DragonQuestFan said:

lol

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I don't know if the op intends on answering questions concerning his level of hairloss. He preaches that at the end of his long journey with hairloss that he has figured out the secret to life or something and he winds up being an nw1.5 :roll:

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm Norwood 3 now with significant diffusion through the middle of my scalp to the crown.

"We do live in a very superficial and commercial society in which the media provides us with an unrealistic standard upon which to base our self-image--they want you to feel self-conscious and they want you to feel worthless so you will buy their products. "

The above point sums up everything i am rallying against. I was so vain, so weak. I believed everything they said: bald = ugly, worthless, failure with women. Consequently life became a self fulfilling prophecy.

My hairloss will continue slowly. It will be several years until i am NW6. Heres the thing though: I am not going to accept a life of unfullfilment, of sadness and dissatisfaction. I think its important to realise that being attractive to women and being conventionally good looking are two different things.

Imo attraction is about confidence, positivity, originality, individuality, dynamisim, desire....what does any of that have to do with hair?