The truth about DHT?

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to understand and read about the importance of DHT for the body and I am always finding conflicting results from different sources. I already have my propecia supply in front of me and I do plan on taking it but I am very curious about this subject. By the way I am 20 years old (almost 21), so I am also reluctant about taking propecia at a young age since I may not be completely developed. Some say 25 is a safe age to start propecia, while others say 18 is fine. I always hear the typical "DHT is only important for those going through puberty", but can anyone help shine some light on this topic for me? Perhaps any scientific evidence? Thanks.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
the scientific evidence is the studies that show only a few percent of people get sides. If it was super important you would expect peoples dicks to be going limp every time among other serious problems, but that doesn't happen with finasteride

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
So the reason for people having the side effects from finasteride are because of too low of DHT and/or too much estrogen? especially with people that have low baseline test and DHT?

paulie72785

Established Member
Reaction score
The body has to balance the shift in hormones which causes the sides.They subside after or within 3 months i guess.

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
I have heard from both sides of the argument, some will say to continue taking propecia even if you have sides because they will subside after a month or so, while there are others who say to drop the drug ASAP once you encounter sides or else sides will continue for months or years after discontinuation of propecia. I don't believe that there are complete permanent side effects but I am worried about long term use of the drug and its effect by lowering DHT in my entire body. Many would argue that DHT is not important after puberty, while others would say that DHT is an important hormone at all ages for almost every functioning part of the human body. If I decide to stay on the drug without any sides for over 7 years, I don't want to have any problems down the road later in life. I know propecia is my only option for maintaining what I have, and I am not really worried about the short term use of it, I am worried of the long term use and its effects(5+ years of being on propecia).

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I have heard from both sides of the argument, some will say to continue taking propecia even if you have sides because they will subside after a month or so, while there are others who say to drop the drug ASAP once you encounter sides or else sides will continue for months or years after discontinuation of propecia. I don't believe that there are complete permanent side effects but I am worried about long term use of the drug and its effect by lowering DHT in my entire body. Many would argue that DHT is not important after puberty, while others would say that DHT is an important hormone at all ages for almost every functioning part of the human body. If I decide to stay on the drug without any sides for over 7 years, I don't want to have any problems down the road later in life. I know propecia is my only option for maintaining what I have, and I am not really worried about the short term use of it, I am worried of the long term use and its effects(5+ years of being on propecia).

I think most scientific research on DHT has shown it's only essential in developing young men, and has no necessary function in the adult body. A number of people dispute that claiming it's essential for neural functioning etc..

probably more research is needed on the subject

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
That's good news....I think. Although there will always be two sides of any topic, I wish that there was a correct definite answer to this. I guess it's just a. Risk I have to take. Hopefully I won't have to use finasteride for too long because of new future treatments(probably won't come out for another 20 years). i don't think I will get sides. But if I do get sides, do you guys think it could cause more harm if I stay on the drug or should I quit asap?

Keystone

Reaction score
That's good news....I think. Although there will always be two sides of any topic, I wish that there was a correct definite answer to this. I guess it's just a. Risk I have to take. Hopefully I won't have to use finasteride for too long because of new future treatments(probably won't come out for another 20 years). i don't think I will get sides. But if I do get sides, do you guys think it could cause more harm if I stay on the drug or should I quit asap?

After 3 months of being on finesteride i experienced less hair loss. My dosage is 1 tablet 3 times a week. But I definitely experienced libido loss, nothing significant tho but I certainly noticed it. When I stopped taking the finesteride for a month my libido came back. So my experience is if u notice any libido issues stop taking it temporarily, let it recover then go back to the finesteride.

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
After 3 months of being on finesteride i experienced less hair loss. My dosage is 1 tablet 3 times a week. But I definitely experienced libido loss, nothing significant tho but I certainly noticed it. When I stopped taking the finesteride for a month my libido came back. So my experience is if u notice any libido issues stop taking it temporarily, let it recover then go back to the finesteride.

That's interesting, I have never heard of anyone doing that. It's almost like you are cycling this drug as if it were a short term anabolic steroid lol. Are you back on finasteride or do you plan on getting back on it in the future?

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
A poor balance in hormones pre finasteride use will certainly cause side effects. Someone with low Test can still have reasonably moderate or even high DHT. Their body is basically relying on the DHT.
Again, if someone is sensitive to estrogen, or has high estrogen pre finasteride, it is likely to cause some sort of side. I find it hard to believe someone with a good hormonal balance will suffer sides from
finasteride. This is all just a theory on the matter as I don't think it has been properly researched, but it makes sense.

shookwun

Reaction score
A poor balance in hormones pre finasteride use will certainly cause side effects. Someone with low Test can still have reasonably moderate or even high DHT. Their body is basically relying on the DHT.
Again, if someone is sensitive to estrogen, or has high estrogen pre finasteride, it is likely to cause some sort of side. I find it hard to believe someone with a good hormonal balance will suffer sides from
finasteride. This is all just a theory on the matter as I don't think it has been properly researched, but it makes sense.

100% correct.

Their seems to be a correlation between LOW T, High E, and low thryroid function and those who get estrogen related sides. When taking finasteride, the blocked conversion of T to DHT is being turned into estrogen in return. So in hindsight perhaps these chubby guys who store lots of BF have to much estrogen receptors, especially around the pectoral area which further agravvates the glands, and produces the itch, and gyno development. All these guys who seem to get side usually have low T, and are swimming in a pool of estrogen. Typically skinny fat bodies, and androgynous.

Ive yet to seen a lean person with high T get side effects from finasteride. Why because they dont have much estrogen receptors to begin with.

Im going to search into this, even if what I say sounds anecdotal.

ive taken 600MG tesosterone without an AI whilst on finasteride, and while others said I will develop gyno if an AI is not taken. I never did whilst on cycle. It was when I came off, and my hormones were shutdown while still taking finasteride that my estrogen rebounded, and I stated developing the glands.

It all has to do with high estrogen output. its simple... those who get sides are estrogen prone, and have to many receptors to begin with,

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
Awesome info Shookwun and Smyth. I should be taking my full hormonal blood test which shows, total test, free test, estrogen, DHT, etc within the next couple of days. I am a gym rat myself and was thinking about getting on a cycle but was too worried about my hair and the additional costs lol. I stay lean all year round and my body fat ranges from 9%-12% depending on the time of year. So hopefully this will help me with not developing gyno and other sides. The higher the body fat=the higher estrogen levels, I think. lol

shookwun

Reaction score
Awesome info Shookwun and Smyth. I should be taking my full hormonal blood test which shows, total test, free test, estrogen, DHT, etc within the next couple of days. I am a gym rat myself and was thinking about getting on a cycle but was too worried about my hair and the additional costs lol. I stay lean all year round and my body fat ranges from 9%-12% depending on the time of year. So hopefully this will help me with not developing gyno and other sides. The higher the body fat=the higher estrogen levels, I think. lol

Test is pretty safe while on finasteride.

Just stay away from the very androgenic compounds such as masteron, tren, anadrol and winstrol. Biggest influences on aggravating male pattern baldness on cycle are fluctuations in hormones, this causes inflammation, and acne break outs. Long esters seem to be more hair friendly then short ones. I found test Propecia made me start itching, and thinning while test E never had any negative effect. Again I believe it all falls back to stable blood levels. Short esters are like a roller coaster ride which will aggravate those sensitive to sides.

Cycling is safe as long as medication has stabilized your loss, if otherwise then I wouldnèt consider as it would just aggravate the inevitable. finasteride is like a clothe in a sink, and the test is the water. 30% will still get through, but 70% will be blocked. So Put 2, and 2 together, and youll still have a surplus of hormones regardless of finasteride usage. More T adequate to more DHT.

Get RU58841 mixed with Minioxidil, and rub along hairline, and temples if your considering cycling.

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
I have thought about cycling for a long time, but for now, I'm too focused on my hair. Once I'm able to stabilize my current hair situation then I'll start thinking about getting on test, although tren and dbol are what I was interested in. I feel like anything topical is just a pain in the arse, that is why I am not using minoxidil until i am in desperate need of every hairloss weapon I can use, the same goes for RU. I really appreciate the information, Shookwun. I'll probably make a progress thread once I take my first propecia pill by next week. In the mean time, I will do some more research on my own about balancing hormone levels and the importance of DHT. I don't think there really is a 100% correct answer to the question of "does DHT play any important role after puberty?", but I will keep searching. I think a good experiment would be to see the effects of using 1mg of propecia daily for over 20 years on men of all ages. Thanks again guys.

Keystone

Reaction score
That's interesting, I have never heard of anyone doing that. It's almost like you are cycling this drug as if it were a short term anabolic steroid lol. Are you back on finasteride or do you plan on getting back on it in the future?

I'm back on it at the moment. I've also recently came back from korea and visited many hair transplant surgeons and learnt a great deal. Using a new type of treatment through the dermis of the scalp that is showing signs of regrowth!!! So hopefully if this treatment turns out well I might not even have to consider hair transplants, tho its alot more economical in seoul than Australia. Everything is expensive here