The switch from finasteride to dutasteride

theswitch

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently 27 and have been on finasteride+minoxidil for roughly 7 years. The combination of the two did wonders for my hair, and I've experienced no sides, although about 2 months ago I started shedding at a much more aggressive rate than I had seen since starting. Even though I've always shed quite a bit, my hair seemed to maintain and appear very full. I style my hair daily and I went from shedding 10 hairs per style to 30-40. At first I assumed I was just going through one of my phases and it would stop, but after two months I'm fully doubting that.

Over the last two weeks I've upped my finasteride dosage from 1mg to 2mg and also started using nizoral shampoo. Although the results have been somewhat negligible, my hair looks a bit healthier thanks to the shampoo. The shedding as continued at the same rate.

My primary question is whether I should make the switch from finasteride to dutasteride? I've ready received an order from ADC, but I'm extremely nervous about making the switch. I still have a pretty good hairline but I'm losing hair in my crown at a rapid rate. Is it worth it to make the switch now? What should I expect upon making the switch? Will the shedding worsen and if so for how long?

Any help or opinions would be appreciate tremendously. I've googled so much about dutasteride and its so hard to find more than a handful of forum threads similar to my issue. :(