The substance equol

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
from what ive been reading the substance equol is capable of inhibiting DHT, if this is so, does anyone know of any studies being undertaken with the manufacture and application of equol for curing male pattern baldness?

what im really asking is what my fellow male pattern baldness sufferesr know about equol?
here is a link on equol.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=32272

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently their have been some studys on soy and male pattern baldness.
The reason beeing that asianpeople seldom have prostateproblems and male pattern baldness becuse they eat alot of Soy.
They found out that equol is being produced from eating soy and it blocks dht wery well without the sides.
I even think that it is better then finasteride.
The problem was that not ewerybody could produce it or something.
Strange that it hasnt had more attention on the forum, scientists where wery positive about the results.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
rill said:
Strange that it hasnt had more attention on the forum, scientists where wery positive about the results.

I'm not surprised there's been relatively little interest in it. Its effect should be essentially the same as finasteride or dutasteride, and those substances are FAR easier to obtain than equol.

Bryan

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
The team of scientists who discovered it are suppose to be filing for a patent to sell it.

Equol is not an alpha blocker, it attaches to dht and "handcuffs" it. It doesn't change the amount if dht in the body just prevents it's actions.

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I'm not surprised there's been relatively little interest in it. Its effect should be essentially the same as finasteride or dutasteride, and those substances are FAR easier to obtain than equol.

Bryan

Well the thing is that its produced when soy is digested, the problem being that not evereybody can produce it (I think it was like 30-40% or something).
Soy ofcourse is extremly cheap and healthy.

But the key is NO SIDEEFFECTS, no more nutpain!)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
rill said:
Bryan said:

Bryan

Well the thing is that its produced when soy is digested, the problem being that not evereybody can produce it (I think it was like 30-40% or something).
Soy ofcourse is extremly cheap and healthy.

Which is cheaper and easier and more reliable: eating a pile of soy everyday and HOPING that you have the gut bacteria to perform the necessary conversion into equol, or simply swallowing a quartered Proscar tablet everyday?

rill said:
But the key is NO SIDEEFFECTS, no more nutpain!)

HUH?? What on earth makes you think there'd be no side-effects? As I tried to suggest previously, the desired effects AND the side-effects should be essentially the same as using 5a-reductase inhibitors.

Bryan

Bismarck

Reaction score
Bryan said:
HUH?? What on earth makes you think there'd be no side-effects? As I tried to suggest previously, the desired effects AND the side-effects should be essentially the same as using 5a-reductase inhibitors.
Bryan

True if 5ar would only convert T to DHT...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm assuming that side-effects from the use of 5a-reductase inhibitors are caused by the reduction in DHT! :wink:

Bryan

Bismarck

Reaction score
And I'm assuming that 5ar does not only convert T to DHT. Therefore inhibiting the enzymes could lead to other sode effects than just a "DHT-neutralizer". :wink:

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan

Scientists suggest that Equol does not inhibit DHT, it just makes it uselesss (or something like that!).
The body is still full of it not causing sideeffects.
And ofcourse its propably not a good idea to trade in your finasteride for soy but when they find away to go past that issue a possible sideeffectfree treatment will be far bettter then say finasteride or dutasteride.
Sure its possible that you get other sides but but so far they havnt found any!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
rill said:
Bryan

Scientists suggest that Equol does not inhibit DHT, it just makes it uselesss (or something like that!).

If it makes it useless, wouldn't you then call it a "DHT inhibitor"?? :D

Let's all use the correct terminology: don't say "DHT inhibitor", say "5a-reductase inhibitor".

rill said:
The body is still full of it not causing sideeffects.

If the DHT is rendered useless or ineffective, what makes you think there would be no side-effects?

Once again: whether you actually stop the production of DHT or render the DHT ineffective by destroying each molecule, it should produce the same side-effects.

Bryan

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Even though the levels of DHT don't change, there still may be sexual side effects since the DHT is useless.

However since DHT levels remain unchanged, there shouldn't be gyno or increased body fat since estrogen levels should also remain unchanged.
That would be the difference between equol and 5AR inhibitors.

Bismarck

Reaction score
George Costanza said:
Even though the levels of DHT don't change, there still may be sexual side effects since the DHT is useless.

However since DHT levels remain unchanged, there shouldn't be gyno or increased body fat since estrogen levels should also remain unchanged.

Good point George!^

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
George Costanza said:

I obviously agree with your central point, although the actual quantities of equol-altered DHT would probably rise a little bit.

George Costanza said:

What makes you think DHT or estrogen levels would be unchanged? DHT levels should go up (although the molecules would be disabled by the equol), and estrogen as well. I repeat: the effects of using equol should be essentially the same as using 5a-reductase inhibitors.

Bryan

Bismarck

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Yes, I'm assuming that side-effects from the use of 5a-reductase inhibitors are caused by the reduction in DHT! :wink:

Bryan

It is evident that 5ar does produce also other hormones. If so side effects (maybe only longterm) would be others than just destroying the DHT molecule.

muii

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.multiflora.co.uk/

heres the link to the product containing equol...click on the link in the middle of the page that says equol

Bryan, would taking this euol product and propecia be overkill? or is that a smart approach

this product is a topical and an oral

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rill,

I don't think the *main* reason asian people don't suffer from male pattern baldness is due to their diet. male pattern baldness is hereditary. I think the main reason they don't have male pattern baldness is simply that it is not as prominent in their genes. But I won't argue that the use of soy in their diet doesn't have something to do with it.