The story so far...

jimboleics

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm pretty new to this site but decided to get Propecia and THEN I found this site and I think this place is absolutely marvellous.

Anyway, I always knew I was going to go bald... my Dad's been bald pretty much as long as I've known him, and he always liked to remind me that that was the way I was going to go too. My hair's always been really thin, so I've been stressing for years about whether or not the inevitable had already started. And then, about a year ago, I really noticed how thin my hair was, and how many hairs were coming out every time I ran my fingers through it.

Anyway, I was a broke law student at the time, with no funds to do anything about it, but now I've got a job and i'm throwing all the resources I can at the situation.

Started on Propecia about 2 months ago, and a couple of weeks ago I noticed that when I ran my fingers through my hair, few (if any) hairs were coming out. AMAZING.

Now, I'm not sure that I've had any regrowth yet, but it may have happened... I'll wait for the six month mark before deciding on that. Either way, it's just so nice not to be getting hairs in my mouth when I have a shower any more... it's pretty disgusting when that happens.

I know that this is only a brief respite in the inevitable ageing process, but I have faith in the wonders that modern medicinal advances can provide. I mean, ok, maybe I won't retain my hair for 5 years, but I reckon that chances are that someone's going to invent a more permanent solution in the not too distant future. Hair cloning sounds promising (though a last resort), and drugs are constantly improving with all this stem cell and genetic research. Damn, if they can grow a human ear on the back of a rat, then I'm sure that being able to keep hair on people isn't too far off.

So, well... being optimistic... here's to keeping my hair until they find a baldness cure!

Also, cheers all, I'm glad i'm not the only obsessive compulsive hair-counter around. This site is awesome, keep it up because it gives us all a little bit of hope.

PS I love Merck.

djthomas85

Reaction score
mate, i think im pretty much in your situation too.
whats your hair like now?

propecia's studies have shown that on average, people will have more hair after 5years than they do to begin with however much it may be!, which is fine by me. with the addition of minoxidil ur chances of surpassing 5 years is great!

ive been on finpecia for 2 weeks and minoxidil foam for about 5 weeks, and my hair has got thinner on top, but as far as temples, i rekon ive gone from a norwood 1.5 at worst to a norwood 1.25.

stay with it mate, ull be fine!

jimboleics

Reaction score
Ahh, someone else from Essex on here, wasn't expecting that!

Hair's still pretty thin, but I've had some regrowth on my left temple, it's not really that noticeable on that side now. Not really noticed much on the right hand side though, but it's early days.

Where you buying your stuff from? I can tell this is going to be a long term investment, so it's worthwhile trying to find the best prices. Not on the minoxidil yet, but i'll sort that one out with my next pay packet, hehe (sod Christmas, I need hair!).

By the way though, I really don't see any sort of problem with your hair, it looks good and you can actually style it nice and stuff... I got this crappy "flyaway" hair that needs a good amount of wax in to thicken it up.

Also, I've just ordered this Retin-A stuff because apparently it's pretty good for improving your temples... you know anything about this? I got a bit of a spot problem, so i'll at least (hopefully) get some benefit from it either way, but it'd be great to kill two birds with one stone.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear that it's all positive for you so far, I've been on Proscar about the same amount of time as you and found exactly the same thing with the hair not falling out anymore, hopefully it will continue that way but like you am also ready for some possible ups and downs.