The smoking debate

How many of you male pattern baldness sufferers out their smoke regularly?

• I don't smoke at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I smoke regularly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
I ask becuase I smoke myself and I've read theories on how smoking can contribute to accelerated hairloss.

jeffsss

Reaction score
I think anything that plays a huge factor in body stress can accelerate hair loss.. kinda like Telogen Effluvium

this is why i've really cut back on drinking heavily anymore.

either way it has to be good for you to stop smoking and drinking.. health wise anyway.

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
i agree, but I wanted to see a percentage of men on these boards. I'm hypotheszing that we'll have more smokers than non-smokers. At work a good 85% of the smokers out front taking smoke breaks are bald or balding.

very interesting.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never smoked a single ciggarette, joint, bong, nor have I ever snorted anything off of a hookers ***.
I've only been *very* drunk once in my life, and besides that I can count the amount of times I've been reasonably drunk on two hands, yet I'm a norwood 2.

I'm 19 years old.

My mom still coddles me like I'm a 5 year old. "Oo, look at this big strong muscles" she'll say, even when I'm blatently muscleless. Another thing she does that annoys the hell out of me, is when I'm complaining about my (blatently) receding hairline, she'll say something like "No, you're not going bald. You've never smoked so you won't go bald."

I've heard that smoking accelerates baldness, but somebody must be forcing me to smoke cartons in my sleep if thats whats causing my baldness.

My grandpa never smoked, and he sure as hell is bald. Then again, everything falls off when you're that age. Last thanksgiving. Plop! Ear in his soup.

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey so I was wrong, no biggie. I'm sure smoking doesn't help but at least i know it's not an actual cause.

Zim

Established Member
Reaction score
Never smoked one cigarette in my life and cant stand to be around smoke.

I dont think smoking would actually trigger male pattern baldness if your not susceptible to it, but if you have male pattern baldness it could well make things worse.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll agree with that.
While I don't think smoking is a magical cause of balding, it certainly wouldn't help. Smoking doesn't help anything.

When I look at my dad, he is a lot balder than his brother.

But, again, that isn't saying much because they aren't identical twins or anything...

My uncle recently got a hair transplant that looks pretty good, though.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it really plays a huge role; I started losing hair over a year before I started smoking regularly.

My dad didn't start losing hair till about 10 years after quitting smoking. But anyway, I doubt exchanging anecdotes will help us find the link between smoking and hairloss. There are just too many variables IMO regarding all the different mechanisms in the body that we are still a ways off from determining exactly how androgens affect the follicles.

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
Smoking definately made me shed more. However if u are prone to hairloss then u are gonna lose the hair wheather u smoke or not.
Jonny Dep, Brad Pitt, John Couger Melloncamp, Eddie Van Halen, ...all smokers...all have lot's of hair....LOTS..