The Side Effects

MusicMan

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to have side effects from ingesting finasteride. However many report the reduction of these side effects with continued use. I being a sufferer of the sides was wondering if those who have overcome the sides could share their experience. Do they go away gradually? How long did it take for the sides to start reduction? Does reducing the dose have an positive effect? (hasn't on me... yet?).

Thanks in advance for your responses

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
I had really bad testicle pain. Went to the doctor twice because of it.

Took about 2 months to go away.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
For me they never got better, just worse, even after cutting the dose significantly. It was about 6 months in total with no improvement. Lots of fluctuating - just when it seemed like it was better it would fall back into total disfunction, and then back again, etc. I've since stopped and waiting to get back to normal.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
libido decrease occurred after about a week. It didn't totally go but was a noticeable decrease. Things went back to normal about 2 weeks later. Didn't do anything - just kept taking the propecia and hoped things would work out :)

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I started on 0.5mg and got the usual sides, decreased libido, achy balls etc. I couldn't handle it and didn't want to stick with it and see if the sides went away. Instead, I took a break and then started again with 0.25mg. I have read that 0.25mg can be just as effective so thought I would give it a go. I haven't had any seriously noticeable sides on 0.25mg, maybe only a very slight reduction in libido, but I also haven't had any regrowth either and my hair has continued to fall out.

Alternatives

Reaction score
biff said:
I started on 0.5mg and got the usual sides, decreased libido, achy balls etc. I couldn't handle it and didn't want to stick with it and see if the sides went away. Instead, I took a break and then started again with 0.25mg. I have read that 0.25mg can be just as effective so thought I would give it a go. I haven't had any seriously noticeable sides on 0.25mg, maybe only a very slight reduction in libido, but I also haven't had any regrowth either and my hair has continued to fall out.

As I have posted in another thread, I took propecia for about a month with heavy changes in my libido and the firmness of my erections and got off it. I just checked the bottle (i still have 2 months left) and noticed that these are 1 MG pills. From what you are saying I might attempt cutting these pills into 4 (going to be tough to achieve) and maybe trying it out for awhile. Sadly I have feeling that like you, it won't have any positive effect on my hairline.

vdiddy

Reaction score
so I guess a 1 mg dose is pretty strong? I started taking propecia at first sign of hair loss so I got pretty much all my hair back. I just took 2 weeks off and Now I'm playing with the idea of taking on 2 days / off 2 days (1 mg) and so far so good. I guess that works out to .50 mg average over a 4 day span.