The Risk

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
92% OF MEN USING PROPECIA REPORTED LOWER SEXUAL AROUSAL.... (Drugs & Medications)
posted by MuscleBoy2, 19.03.2011, 12:14

http://www.aolhealth.com/2011/03/18/men ... 2%7C206549

Men who have taken a popular pill for baldness say they've experienced persistent sexual dysfunction for months, or even years, after stopping the drug.

The new study, published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, found that men who take finasteride, sold under the brand names Propecia and Proscar, may develop an ongoing loss of libido and orgasm, even after they go off the medication.

In some cases, they could have other lasting sexual side effects, including premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction, according to lead researcher Dr. Michael Irwig of George Washington University's medical school.

"It's obviously having some effect on the brain," Irwig told AOL Health. "It's messing up different hormonal pathways. Some of these pathways are important for things like libido and sexual function."

Finasteride, the most common hair-loss pill, has previously been linked to "reversible" sexual impairment, as noted on the drug's label, said Irwig. But "this is the first series to find that symptoms persisted for at least three months despite stopping finasteride," he added.

"Three months was the minimum, but some of these guys had sexual symptoms for years, some ... for five to 10 years after," he told AOL Health. "These were young guys with no medical problems, no psychiatric problems, who happened to develop these side effects."

Irwig and his team interviewed 71 men aged 21 to 46 who had taken Propecia or Proscar and reported new sexual side effects after they started the drugs. None of the participants had a history of sexual dysfunction or other conditions that might have contributed, Irwig said -- and some had only been on finasteride for a few days.

Ninety-four percent said they'd experienced low sexual desire, 92 percent reported a dip in sexual arousal and 69 percent had trouble with orgasm, according to the findings. Another 92 percent said they developed erectile dysfunction after taking finasteride.

On average, participants had been on the baldness drug for 28 months and had chronic sexual problems for an average of 40 months, the research showed.

But 10 percent of those studied had used finasteride for less than a month, Irwig told AOL Health.

"It's scary," he said. "For the lack of orgasm and libido, there is no treatment."

Other reported adverse side effects of finasteride are depression, suicidal thoughts and anxiety. Merck is currently fighting a number of lawsuits involving the drug, including one in Canada and another in Connecticut.

The company does not warn of possible psychological or persistent sexual problems in information about finasteride on its website, nor does it mention those symptoms on its U.S. labeling. Irwig said the drug does carry warning labels in the U.K. and Sweden about ongoing sexual impairment.

"Be aware that this is a potential sexual side effect," he cautioned. "If somebody chooses to take this medicine, there is that risk. They have to make the decision that it's a risk they're willing to take."

Ende

Reaction score
"It's scary," he said. "For the lack of orgasm and libido, there is no treatment."
That's not true, and that statement proves how incompetent some endocrinologists are. However, libido can be difficult to recover, because it's dependent on optimal hormone ratios. Testosterone, DHT, estrogen, prolactin and dopamine are essential when it comes to libido.

Ende

Reaction score
I tolerate minoxidil very well, but I've overdosed - without intending to do so - a couple of times. This resulted in dizziness, chest pain and trouble breathing. It's a long time since I've experienced this now. I recently used 2 ml Rogaine 5% at night, and covered my entire scalp with Rogaine foam 3 times a day for a couple of days, and the only side effect I got was sore eyelids and headache.

T

Timi

Enden Thanks

i am slowly unsure is finasteride or minoxidil blame for the side effects

tolerate my Body finasteride after 17 Years not more??

Timi

Ende

Reaction score
It's hard to tell. Finasteride is a dangerous drug, and the side effects may hit you hard, or creep up on you. If you're unsure whether minoxidil or finasteride is responsible for your side effects, you need to stay away from minoxidil. You obviously don't tolerate minoxidil anyway. All the side effects from minoxidil should be gone within some days, definitely within a week. If you've not used minoxidil for a while, and still are suffering from side effects, it's finasteride.

Your depression may be caused by a lot of things, but androgens - especially DHT affects your brain function. I got depressed too, in april/may 2010, when a shipment with testosterone got seized by customs - and I didn't get the injections which I was dependent on. Depression (and some other symptoms) - for no other reason than androgen deficiency. For the same reason, overdosing androgens properly will cause euphoria, increase energy - both physically and mentally, aggression and a lot of other things. It's weird. Finasteride affects your brain by reducing the DHT level - and thereby stimulation from the most potent androgen.

T

Timi

i had no Depression

but
High blood pressure
glassy eyes
red face
red hot ears (i think high Bloodpressure)
Difficulty in breathing

I have noticed when i take finasteride my Bloodpressure goes high
than red face!
Difficulty in breathing
red face

slowly i think it is finasteride and not minoxidil!

Timi

Ende

Reaction score
Are you using minoxidil? When was the last time? If you notice those effects when using finasteride, it's definitely a side effect of the drug. Maybe you're allergic to some ingredients.

Are you still using oral corticosteroids? They have side effects too. Are you using any other drugs?

Ende

Reaction score
If you're unsure whether or not your symptoms are caused by finasteride, you should quit treatment for 2 weeks and see if they improve. 2 weeks are theoretically all it takes for hormone levels to return to baseline values after treatment with finasteride.

T

Timi

Thanks

i make this
i stop Finasterid for 2 Weeks
and take than first minoxidil

Timi

beaner

Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Where in the world did that 92% number come from? It wasn't in the link provided.

It is very misleading I agree.

It is stating that 92% of 71 men that reported side effects from finasteride had a decrease in sexual arousal. So we're talking about 63 guys.

It is not stating that 92% of men on finasteride have this problem.

T

Timi

Enden

i have forget
i take Salbutamol is a Asthmaspray without Cortison

i have it take for 2Hours
my Lungs burning as fire-my Face burns-Neck burns
Heartracing-heavy headache-tremble Hands
Blurred vision
my throat is flame red
Nausea

i think more that is the Ground, i had never bevor
with finasteride Heartracing or a Red Face or burning Lungs

i go Morning to my Doctor
i have found that Salbutamol makes this side effect

i had never bevor so a Reaktion from finasteride or minoxidil
it was beginning with the Asthmasprays
bevor Symbicort-Inuvair-Aarane-
today Salbutamol

Timi

Ende

Reaction score
Why did you switch? Local treatment with corticosteroids is effective and generally well tolerated. I thought those B2-agonists were rescue medication only, and that corticosteroids were used for maintenance.

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to discuss this with your doctor.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What a rediculously misleading article. This is a perfect example of how the media takes news and puts a completely inaccurate spin on it. It's simply saying that of the people that had new sexual sides (2% of users), 92% of those reported decrease in sexual arousal.

T

Timi

finfighter said:
Timi said:
Thanks

i make this
i stop Finasterid for 2 Weeks
and take than first minoxidil

Timi

Dude don't take minoxidil ever again you're crazy! I saw your pics, you must be allergic or something!

You're right

minoxidil is not for me
i have make many many Tests and swollen Face
comes from minoxidil

and i had No Asthma bevor minoxidil!!!!!
or is it No Asthma ,and it is a simply Allergic Reaktion!

Timi

Ende

Reaction score
Are you telling me that the doctor prescribed you rescue medication for asthma - which you're taking regularly because of an allergic reaction to minoxidil which makes it hard to breath?

Get off everything (besides finasteride) if that's the case, and only use the B2-agonist if you need it. Talk to your doctor. You don't tolerate minoxidil, so don't use it.

T

Timi

i have do nothing today

i take the Asthmaspray one hour later full red face
and Heartracing

i have take finasteride without sides all the Years

i have take minoxidil for a few Years, i had no red face
or was swollen!

i think it is the Asthmaspray
i go to my Doctor ,I have an appointment today
there's something wrong

Timi

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is another article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... 91704.html

A new study says that between five and 23 percent of the millions of men who take the drug may become impotent and have lowered sex drives because of the active ingredient finasteride, according to ABC News. About half of them suffer the side effects indefinitely.

How the hell can they say this? According to this article: in the most conservative estimate, if 1,000,000 take finasteride, 25,000 of them will experienced permanent sides. For arguments sake, I have read that approximately 4,000,000 people worldwide take finasteride. This article states that 100,000 of them will experience sexual sides INDEFINITELY.. even in the most conservative estimate. If this statistic were true, there would be absolutely no way the drug would have made it even a year on the market without being pulled, let alone over 15 years without a single medically documented and conclusive case of this phenomenon ever occuring.

Just to be clear, i'm not saying permanent sides don't happen; I truly believe that it can and does occur in rare cases. It's just rediculous how the media takes a story and puts such a rediculous spin on it, fudging the numbers and basically outright lying about what the medical article is saying.