The people on Toplace forum seem pretty happy...

FTank

Reaction score
If you look bad bald but look good with fake hair which do you think is better? I used to think I would never consider wearing a wig but I'm starting to wonder. I mean neither option is anywhere as good as having your real hair but I am starting to consider it.

I am sure there is a lot of crap to deal with wearing a wig but people at the toplace forum seem to be happy for the most part. I know you have to develop the correct mindset if you wear a piece but maybe it's better than going around with a horseshoe rim of hair around your head in your 20 and 30s now that todays wigs have gotten better.

When I read the stories of the impact of hairloss on this site and other sites I read a lot of stories of super depressed guys who say their lives are miserable because of hairloss. I wonder if this is a viable option for some of these people to escape their suffering. I guess growing up I never thought this was something I would consider and always said I respected men who just walked around bald more. Well now that I am getting ready to wear that shoe I am second guessing myself.

Any thoughts?

FTank

Reaction score
I dunno I can see why we say real men do not wear wigs. Yet life is also short and if it can increase your life enjoyment, help you to achieve the goals you want, and do the things you enjoy maybe it's an option that has some merit.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Real men probably dont come on hairloss forums either but there you go ...

ARONO129

Reaction score
I've been wearing a hairpiece for over 20 years. I started losing my hair at age 15 1/2. Real men do wear hairpieces. The only stigma is in a persons own mind. Try Toplace.I've read good things about it too. You said yourself that you don't look good bald. I don't either. A hairpiece makes me look 10 years younger than without.

I'm kind of forced to wear one now. I can't shave my head. A doctor did a hair transplant and totally butchered me, I couldn't sue. I live in Canada and suing is hard to do here. Try wearing a hairpiece. If you don't like it you won't be out a lot of money. Chances are you will love your new look.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FTank said:
I dunno I can see why we say real men do not wear wigs. Yet life is also short and if it can increase your life enjoyment, help you to achieve the goals you want, and do the things you enjoy maybe it's an option that has some merit.

To be caught with a wig on, or even suspected as a wig wearer, would be mortifying..
All of us on this board have a problem with the way we think about hairloss but this is a whole new low altogether, I can't imagine a more lonely and paranoid existance.

Having said that.. a select few on this board have mastered the art whilst letting close family and friends know, this is a way of making it work but not logistical for the majority.

s.a.f

Reaction score
UK1 said:
FTank said:

To be caught with a wig on, or even suspected as a wig wearer, would be mortifying..
All of us on this board have a problem with the way we think about hairloss but this is a whole new low altogether, I can't imagine a more lonely and paranoid existance.

Thats the thing is'nt it, how do these wearers live, do they spend everyday in constant fear of being discovered, wondering how it looks? or do they just put it on and forget about it. It is a big secret to live with.

ithappens

Reaction score
What's the worst that could happen......

Well the worst would probably be a lot of embarrassment and you'll be out of some money. Whether it's for you all depends on if you can make it work, and if it makes things easier. As said before there are a select few who have mastered it, but they are in the minority, most guys have decent looking hairpieces yet they are usually detectable to someone who would take notice, and is around the wearer on a consistent basis. The thing is what it comes down to is what's it worth to you: ugly and bald, as the majority of white guys are with a bald head, or better looking with a nice hairpiece, all be it detectable. A lot of guys on here will say straight out they would take the bald look, which is understandable. However, one also has to take into consideration that despite being known for wearing a piece by your peers, and all that goes with it they still don't have the image of you as bald (at least the one's who never saw you without it before). In a way it's sort of picking the worst of two evils, which for some guys such as myself who need a decent head of hair to get by isn't always a straight forward decision. As I've said before if you want to try it my hat goes out to you. I myself don't think it makes any guy less of a man, but just realize that it's not a real set of hair it will not look perfect or fool most people. Overall, just have realistic expectations about it, and if you're not paranoid with people knowing (cause most will) and the persona that goes along with it you can make it work.

FTank

Reaction score
Thankyou. That was a very well thought out and informative response. Like you said each side has it's drawbacks. Since I have really white skin and am only 27 I do think bald really does dimish my appearence big time. I understand the hairpiece thing will make a lot of people laugh behind my back if I do it or maybe even to my face. Yet if I can get it to look good I think I can enhance my appearence and increase the enjoyment I get out of everyday life. Also if it is close to undectable then it could help avoid having to suffer baldness discrimination. I guess I can try it and see if it works. If it doesn't I can always g

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Real men probably dont come on hairloss forums either but there you go ...

i agree

Sean68

Reaction score
given the choice between having no hair or wearing the toplace then saddle me up id take my chances. it would be the last resort though. hopefully dutasteride might kick in soon! :woot:

FTank

Reaction score
Well I think there are many many downsides to wearing a piece from what I have read up. That being said I have read story after story of young guys going bald and being miserable and basically not being able to function right in life. From the many different stories I read at toplace the young wearers all would have preferred to have had their hair yet they seemed to be getting along a lot better in life. The only way I will know for sure is if I try. The shaved head for me has not panned out.

wheresbaldo

Reaction score
FTank said:
Well I think there are many many downsides to wearing a piece from what I have read up. That being said I have read story after story of young guys going bald and being miserable and basically not being able to function right in life. From the many different stories I read at toplace the young wearers all would have preferred to have had their hair yet they seemed to be getting along a lot better in life. The only way I will know for sure is if I try. The shaved head for me has not panned out.

You can put me in that category of young men not being able to enjoy life because of it. I was the last person to want to do a hairpiece but after doing good research and deciding upon a full cap piece (totally undetectable) at toplace.com, I've now been able to enjoy life, dating, and everything in between. It's all about the mindset...don't let the haters get to you. Concealers and Rogaine can only go so far with trying to get something that truly satisfies you. I've done it all and have had success with those products but nothing like a full cap piece. It isn't for everyone but it doesn't hurt to try it out at least once.

FTank

Reaction score
I am glad to hear you are enjoying life. I think you are right about the mindset. I think it will be more about making it look as best as possible. Yeah there are downsides but if you look bad or creepy bald and handsome with the piece and your young then I think it can be a tool to help improve life quality. A generation ago we would have been totally screwed but now we at least have some different options. For some meds is the answer, for others the shaved look works well, and for others the truth be told a good piece that is affordable and kept up well is probably the best answer.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't go as far as some and say that "real men don't use wigs", but I certainly wouldn't use one. Balding and probably baldness too makes me look much worse than I did with good set of hair, but f*** it, that's the way it is then. I'm not resorting myself to wear fake hair on my head and stress about getting caught and spend a lot of money on the wigs, not to mention the time that would be spent on fixing that rug everyday to make it look "perfect". If I'll ever get a permenent solution for this problem, it will have to be something that grows from my head, not something that just sits on top of it. The very thought of a wig makes me shiver, I find it rather disgusting.

BTW: no one who is handsome with hair looks creepy bald, unless they have some skull mutation or something...

wheresbaldo

Reaction score
ghg said:
I personally wouldn't go as far as some and say that "real men don't use wigs", but I certainly wouldn't use one. Balding and probably baldness too makes me look much worse than I did with good set of hair, but f*** it, that's the way it is then. I'm not resorting myself to wear fake hair on my head and stress about getting caught and spend a lot of money on the wigs, not to mention the time that would be spent on fixing that rug everyday to make it look "perfect". If I'll ever get a permenent solution for this problem, it will have to be something that grows from my head, not something that just sits on top of it. The very thought of a wig makes me shiver, I find it rather disgusting.

BTW: no one who is handsome with hair looks creepy bald, unless they have some skull mutation or something...

Yea, I can't imagine someone stressing about getting caught or spending lots of time on making it look perfect. I just use it simply to enjoy my young years while I still have them. I could care less about anyone knowing that I wear and don't need to spend more than 300 bucks every 6 months/3 minutes per day attaching it. That's the beauty of a full cap...of course something you can't buy is confidence and if you don't have it then I would suggest not getting a piece. Look at people who get fake teeth, breasts, and other modifications...sure they aren't natural but it makes them feel better and gets them through the day. I've done the shaved head thing for too long (well, technically I'm still doing it) and I'm happy to have 'hair' again. I've been open about it to everyone close to me and they can't believe how real it looks...even my best friend recommended it to her boyfriend and he is going to get one.

Shaved head, concealers, a rug...do what makes you feel good about yourself. Don't be a prisoner to such a 'flaw'.