the Norwood 7 pattern

agittprop

Reaction score
Friday April 22, 2005 10:07 AM (NEW!)

I had a doctor tell me balding to a NW6 and to NW7 represent different patterns of baldness

I'm kind of skeptical as it seems like NW7 is just the next step after a NW6

If one starts balding in their late teenage years and are significantly balding by early 20s (crown and recession), will they always progress to a NW7 untreated? (if so, by what age? is NW7 (thinning of even NW6 hair) something that happens at only an older age?

Also, it is 'easier' to maintain side/back hair than to maintain frontal and early crown balding

Like the more progressed you are as a Norwood the easier it is to just maintain? Or is this not true.

thanks

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
disregarding any other motives for your post, i dont think anybody cares if they go from NW6- NW7.

its the norwood 1-5 that matters!

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be curious if there are any early indicators if someone is going to be a Norwood-2.5 or if it will keep receeding to a Norwood-5 or more.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Full Head of Hair said:
I would be curious if there are any early indicators if someone is going to be a Norwood-2.5 or if it will keep receeding to a Norwood-5 or more.

Absolutely!

If you're a NW2.5 and you're still losing hair and go to a NW3.... and are still losing hair and go to a NW4.....and are still losing hair and go to a NW5....

It aint rocket science :wink:

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
U cant predict male pattern baldness in that way...male pattern baldness is unpredictable..That's the problem..u can be a NW2.5 or 3 till the day u die.....

arjun17

Reaction score
NW7 vs. NW6

On one hair transplant site its written that "People who become severely bald (NW7) usually, although not always, show a significant amount of loss
in their 20's". I've seen many stable NW6 men who will most likely never go to a NW7. Basically, what are the differences between the two? In NW6 there is an elevated triangular segment of hair starting from the hair on the sides of the head and extending quite a long way upwards on either side - its the residual hair of the bridge which had separated the receding hairline and balding crown in NW4 and NW5. This segment is absent in NW7. Another thing is - most NW7s have significant thinning even on the sides and back, and will have very sparse hair on the nape of the neck. The bald crown also extends very far down the back of the head. Few NW6s have this kind of thinning, most have good hair on the sides and back.
Also ,if you look carefully, most severely bald men will have lost the temple hairline ( that little projection of hair which extends from the hair on the sides to join the hairline, not to be confused with the hairline above the temples, which is what recedes first, and what we call as "temples"). Losing this hair is considered to be a sign of likely progression to NW7. So there is a pretty big difference between NW6 and NW7, more so than between other Norwood classes.
Cheers,
Arjun

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's been mentioned here before, but not everyone that experiences male pattern baldness goes all the way to a Norwood 7. Sometimes the balding stops short of the next phase. For me, if I hadn't done something pro-active, I would have become a Norwood 5 or 6.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
My 61-year-old dad started losing it at 21, and has stayed at Norwood 5.5 since his late 30s. I doubt he's going any higher. (Not counting his alopecia areata, which sometimes makes the back pretty thin.)

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ya know what, something tells me that there's one name that every guy or gal here WOULDN'T call their son. Guess what name that would be... NORWOOD:) Eeeesh!

G

i wonder what Norwood Norwood is?

f*** Norwood.

I'm gonna find out where he lives and take a sh*t on his doorstep.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
i wonder what Norwood Norwood is?

f*** Norwood.

I'm gonna find out where he lives and take a sh*t on his doorstep.

I drive past a "Norwood St." one street away from my therapist and I feel pissed when I see the street sign. Its a charged word for me no doubt.