The new 1mg Generic Propecia does not work?

Hairless Goat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just saw a hair restoration surgeon, who prescribes me Propecia, despite never opting for an hair transplant. Something he said today was a revelation. I began brand name Propecia back in August of 2012, .5mg a day, and in early February, switched over to generic 1mg Propecia when it came out. Well, my doctor said he had heard via an e-mail group with other doctors that the new generic form is not effective. One doctor, in particular, had several patients who lost their gains while on it. My doctor was befuddled as to why Merck would license out the drug to this company. Perhaps, I have been able to see the difference in the two months. Anyone else have a bad experience with the generic?

Thanks,
Dan

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I thought it was made because the patent expired on Propecia?

if it's regulated properly and contains Finasteride then no reason why it shoud work any less than Propecia

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
I thought it was made because the patent expired on Propecia?

if it's regulated properly and contains Finasteride then no reason why it shoud work any less than Propecia

Should*

abcdefg

Reaction score
Its always possible the generic manufacturer has gotten cheap and is trying to cut corners or something illegally or maybe some counterfeit ring is going on that no one knows about. Things happen I guess but its a low chance the generic is different the real stuff but its always possible.

volagsrule

Reaction score
Almost 80% of all prescriptions filled in this country are generic (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesF...afely/UnderstandingGenericDrugs/ucm167991.htm)

If generics were this risky venture you'd think a good chunk of the country would be be up in arms to due to medication not working. This obviously doesn't happen.

Moreover, Merk itself produces it's finasteride oveseas. It says it right on the Propecia bottle :"Finasteride (Active Ingredient)-Made In UK.

CKent

Reaction score
Please help! Can anybody provide any credible feedback. I have noticed the same thing. Due to significant cost savings, I switched to the generic version (by Dr. Reddy's) and I have had a complete relapse. Any gains I have received have ceased, plus I have had some of the other side effects as mentioned above. Is the stuff I'm taking junk? It's obviously not working. Can we know that we are getting the same active ingredients?

Dude01

Reaction score
Presuming the generic is legitimate(Dr. Reddy's is legit), any switch from generic to brand or brand to generic will cause your body to react adversely. Luckily, this reaction usually levels itself out. Reason being, generic companies usually have a wider window of deviation from dosage such that brand propecia may only deviate from 1mg by 0.001(+/-) and generic companies are allowed (by the FDA) to deviate by 0.003(+/-). Tampering with hormones is always difficult on the body be it male or female. I would give it time or consult your prescribing doctor.

Take care & Good Luck

wackyhead

Reaction score
Please help! Can anybody provide any credible feedback. I have noticed the same thing. Due to significant cost savings, I switched to the generic version (by Dr. Reddy's) and I have had a complete relapse. Any gains I have received have ceased, plus I have had some of the other side effects as mentioned above. Is the stuff I'm taking junk? It's obviously not working. Can we know that we are getting the same active ingredients?

I got switched over to Dr Reddy's by my pharmacy around 3 months ago. I was never a believed in the generic vs name brand debate, and always felt that the active ingredient was the active ingredient and there would be no difference. Took the pill, never thought twice about it. About a month into things, I noticed my libido took an absolute nosedive among other common sides, I felt completely out of whack. Didn't even think of the generic propecia at first. I wasn't one of those people just looking for a reason to blame generic. I stayed on it for 2 more months, for the entirety of the generic 90 day pack, convinced it was all in my head. I decided on my last refill to go back to name brand. After about a week on propecia, I noticed things turning around, and I am starting to feel like my old self again.

At this time, the only thing I can conclude is that my body had an issue with Dr Reddy's.

Blondman

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have experienced the exact same issue with the new generic finasteride. I am in my late 30s and had been taking propecia with incredible success for nearly 12 years and maintained an almost complete head of hair after experiencing some thinning areas.

Instead of listening to my gut and sticking with the more expensive Propecia (at least for a year and wait and see), I followed the advice of both my dermatologist and pharmacist that there wouldn't be any difference and since many pharmacies (at least that are around me) are only carrying the generic Finasteride, I went ahead. Needlesstosay, it was a terrible mistake for me personally as the shedding started slowly about 30 days after the switch and has continued to accerelate. I switched back to Propecia (been about 5 weeks) after about 70 days on Finasteride and am still experiencing an accerlation in hair loss that I have not witnessed since my days before Propecia.

Anyway, I know that everyone may react differently but am just sharing my story as well and to those of you that have had similar experiences, best of luck and I am in the same boat. I am planning to visit a different doctor soon about my situation since my current dermatologist has just said they have not heard of this issue but has agreed with the results.

Jyn

Reaction score
I've have no problems at all with generic Propecia. Walmart gave me Dr Reddy's when I refilled it earlier this year. The last refill I got is from Camber. I've had zero issues.

diggiediggie

Reaction score
I have taken Propecia for over 7 years with much success. When I was 22, everyone around me was telling me I was going bald. Within two years of taking it, no one ever mentioned it again, and some people told me I looked like I had more hair.

In order to save money, I switched from name brand Propecia to Walmart's generic 5mg finasteride three months ago. The cost savings was enormous. From $288 for a 90 day supply to just $9!! I was cutting the pills into fourths and have taken them for three months.

During this time, I have noticed my hair shedding much more and looking thinner, and that old tingling in my scalp I had experienced years ago had returned. I am shocked at how quickly my hair started falling out. It may be that for some people, the cheaper option works, but for me, it did not. I called my doctor and switched back to name brand yesterday. I think it is ridiculous how much they charge for it, but apparently, I have no other options that work.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
Notice every single "anti generic" poster in this thread has only just registered at the forums around the time they made their post, and most only have that single post. And they are certain generic doesnt work... accept for killing your libido.

Every veteran poster in the thread with verifiable impartiality is reporting they noticed no difference between brand and generic.

And that doctor/email list story seems a little odd to me. Doctors are finding the generic doesnt work? Really? I do totally believe the OP and that he was told that by his doctor though. Its the doctor Im less sure about.

And for the record, I have switched from brand name 5mg to generic 5mg and had no problems.

jom

Reaction score
Notice every single "anti generic" poster in this thread has only just registered at the forums around the time they made their post, and most only have that single post. And they are certain generic doesnt work... accept for killing your libido.

Every veteran poster in the thread with verifiable impartiality is reporting they noticed no difference between brand and generic.

And that doctor/email list story seems a little odd to me. Doctors are finding the generic doesnt work? Really? I do totally believe the OP and that he was told that by his doctor though. Its the doctor Im less sure about.

And for the record, I have switched from brand name 5mg to generic 5mg and had no problems.

I have been on Dr Reddys cut into quarters for a little over 3 months now. I was losing quite a lot of hair before starting the regimen but it has continued rapidly all over my scalp (not just top front where my original problems were). I now feel like I'm quite thin even on the back and sides. I can definitively say I have seen seen no improvement on finasteride and my that my hair is much worse (should have taken photos for proof). I am still losing hair even at the slightest touch.

If finasteride hasn't started working by now do you think it is likely that I am just not a candidate for the treatment? I'm also considering giving the brand name a try when this batch runs. I was always of the belief that it was identical in chemical make up so don't see how it could make any difference until I saw some posters here. I also don't understand how switching from one to the could make a difference either!? I have been considering quitting as the only effect I'm seeing is excessive shedding but though I'd ride it out. Is it possible that the varied dosage due to difficulty in cutting the tablets accurately is an issue?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

I have GPs in my immediate family who don't have a clue about the subject and it seems like most doctors in general are hardly worth consulting for advice! I have an uncle who is a consultant endocrinologist so maybe he is worth talking to about the effects of this stuff. I'm living overseas however so is a little awkward.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi jom,

No, do not quit. Three months isnt even close to enough time for you to see something going on. In fact three months really is the sort of time you can see increased hair loss. That is part of the process. You really just need to take it religiously for at least a year to see what finasteride will do for you. And ideally forget about you hair in the mean time, but that is very difficult of course.

This is very basic info and there is so so much of it on this forum. Have a good look around otherwise you may well make a serious mistake at some point. Quitting finasteride at three months would be a disaster.

jom

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm definitely going to stick it out for a while. Was half considering replacing Dr Reddys with propecia for my next prescription in the hope of some improvement but not sure if it's worth it. I went to the pharmacy with a prescription for propecia first time round and chemist suggested chopping Dr Reddys 5mg tabs as he claimed it to be the exact same thing. It wasn't until I looked on here and saw some people cursing Dr Reddys that some doubts crept in.

These forums are both a blessing and an absolute curse with so many different experiences/opinions/theories!

robtpenn

Reaction score
For those unsure of the 1 mg generics, and I'm having problems, would a better alternative be to order 5 mg non-generic MERCK Proscar and divide them into quarters?

gnate12

Reaction score
For those unsure of the 1 mg generics, and I'm having problems, would a better alternative be to order 5 mg non-generic MERCK Proscar and divide them into quarters?

What types of problems are you having with the generic? Most people on here say the generic is exactly the same as brand.

robtpenn

Reaction score
What types of problems are you having with the generic? Most people on here say the generic is exactly the same as brand.
I am having visible hair loss in the front. Especially see it when I part my hair. This is after about 5 months on Dr Reddy's and now 3 more months after Camber it is really noticable. I'm not suggesting generics do not work. I take a few now for other reasons, but this one is not working for me. I'll go back to Merck 1mg if I must but they are increasing the price, not decreasing it. Wondering if Merck Proscar would work or has worked for others. I was on 1 mg Merck Propecia for 14 years prior with success

gnate12

Reaction score
I am having visible hair loss in the front. Especially see it when I part my hair. This is after about 5 months on Dr Reddy's and now 3 more months after Camber it is really noticable. I'm not suggesting generics do not work. I take a few now for other reasons, but this one is not working for me. I'll go back to Merck 1mg if I must but they are increasing the price, not decreasing it. Wondering if Merck Proscar would work or has worked for others. I was on 1 mg Merck Propecia for 14 years prior with success

It might be possible that you would have had the same reaction if you stayed on the brand. In theory, they are supposed to be exactly the same. Costco has a new generic made by Aventis and it is $25 for 3 months of 1mg pills.

- - - Updated - - -

It might be possible that you would have had the same reaction if you stayed on the brand. In theory, they are supposed to be exactly the same. Costco has a new generic made by Aventis and it is $25 for 3 months of 1mg pills.

Sorry, that's by *Actavis

viet nom nom

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are in the US then the differences you are seeing are in your head. Generic and name brand are the same by law.