The Natural Internal Regimen

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
...no you couldn't have, Huckleberry. Back to your drugs, you go. Poof!

- - - Updated - - -

I am pleased (but not satisfied) with my results. Sorry to read that these supplements did not benefit you or that foul attitude of yours in any way. Consider a hair transplant and some anger management sessions.

yes I could have, Quacky. In fact I wish I could have bet money on it, as I would be considerably richer now.

your response to Ginkosama - someone who actually was crazy enough to do your regimen - says it all. You don't like his feedback, but instead of discussing it with him, you simply hurl insults. That's all you can do. Do you really expect anyone - even the most gullible of people - to believe there might be something to your crackpot theories with your hilariously self-important attitude?

And your paranoid defensiveness whenever anyone dares to criticise or even simply ask questions speaks volumes, (ie. that you know your regimen is useless but are too cowardly to admit it)

:bravo:

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
yes I could have, Quacky. In fact I wish I could have bet money on it, as I would be considerably richer now.

your response to Ginkosama - someone who actually was crazy enough to do your regimen - says it all. You don't like his feedback, but instead of discussing it with him, you simply hurl insults. That's all you can do. Do you really expect anyone - even the most gullible of people - to believe there might be something to your crackpot theories with your hilariously self-important attitude?

And your paranoid defensiveness whenever anyone dares to criticise or even simply ask questions speaks volumes, (ie. that you know your regimen is useless but are too cowardly to admit it)

...and yet, this drug addict continues to troll Alternative Treatment threads. SMH. If your drugs work so well, then why are you here, Huckleberry.

And had you bothered to read earlier posts by Ginkosama in this thread, you would have understood my latest response. Back to your drugs, low libido, and C cup bras. Be gone, POOF!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
... If your drugs work so well, then why are you here, Huckleberry.

!

I'm here to help stop hairloss newbies falling for scams/traps such as this one - and wasting precious time believeing they might actually have a hope using bullshit such as this regimen, especially when the creator guarantees it will work.

Time is not something you can afford to waste in the early stages of male pattern baldness. Many have found that out the hard way.

consider what I'm doing as charitable work - and I ask for no payment for my services. I'm a saint, really. :notworthy

- - - Updated - - -

and yes I've read Ginko's earlier posts. He asked a few innocuous, perfectly reasonable questions and was met with a volley of passive-aggressive abuse. That seems to be the only weapon in your arsenal, and you can't even wield that one very well...

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm here to help stop hairloss newbies falling for scams/traps such as this one - and wasting precious time believeing they might actually have a hope using bullshit such as this regimen, especially when the creator guarantees it will work.

Time is not something you can afford to waste in the early stages of male pattern baldness. Many have found that out the hard way.

consider what I'm doing as charitable work - and I ask for no payment for my services. I'm a saint, really. :notworthy

- - - Updated - - -

and yes I've read Ginko's earlier posts. He asked a few innocuous, perfectly reasonable questions and was met with a volley of passive-aggressive abuse. That seems to be the only weapon in your arsenal, and you can't even wield that one very well...

No, you are a drug addict, and an unhappy one at that: You learned that Merck's claim of a "small percentage of users experience sexual side effects" was not only a gross understatement (i.e. a lie), but it, unfortunately, applied to you. But hey don't take your anger out (i.e. project) on me.

If you continue to troll, and try to hijack this thread, then I will take the proper recourse made available to me through rules and regulations of this forum.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
where have I ever said I've had bad side effects with Finasteride? I have no problems getting and maintaining a hard-on, FYI. Only side I've noticed is slightly watery semen. Is pretending people have said things they never actually said, your forte?

I can happily state that I haven't lost any further hair since starting finasteride. Something that anyone who embarks upon your 'regimen' will sadly not have the pleasure of experiencing.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Your posts have been reported as SPAM (for Merck, maker of the low libidos and male boobies)!

Back to natural treatments:

1. Aged garlic extract and vitamin C

a. Increases nitric acid. Nutrition Research (2007, vol. 27, no. 2). Scientists from New York's Pharmaceutical Research Institute at Albany College of Pharmacy recruited six people with marginally high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg). With one-week breaks between each course, subjects completed ten-day doses of vitamin C alone (2 grams per day), then garlic capsules alone (2.5 grams per day of freeze-dried bulb powder), and finally, a combination of the two. Taking vitamin C by itself did not affect the subjects' blood pressure. Garlic alone reduced systolic (peak) blood pressure, but not diastolic pressure (when the heart is resting). But together, vitamin C and garlic reduced systolic levels to between 110 and 120 and diastolic to 75 to 80.

Blood pressure dropped, researchers theorized, because cells lining the walls of the blood vessels were producing more nitric oxide, a compound that helps to regulate blood pressure and immunity, as well as many other bodily functions. Taking garlic supplements alone caused a twofold increase in cellular nitric oxide production, they said. But combining garlic and vitamin C resulted in a threefold increase. An estimated 72 million Americans older than 20 (1 in 3 adults) have high blood pressure, the number-one changeable risk factor for stroke.

b. “Well, there is at least one factor that androgenic baldness and Alzheimer’s disease have in common: atherosclerosis. The lining of blood vessels produces nitric oxide (‘NO’, as in MiNOxidol, the active ingredient in Rogaine) and possibly other hair growth factors; when this lining is damaged through the accumulation of atherosclerotic plaque, less nitric oxide (NO) is produced.

Please don’t draw the wrong conclusion that a balding man is doomed to go on to Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s. Like most men, he’ll probably die of heart disease, which is a much better way to die. Also, 40% of men die before their 75th birthday, which also helps account for the lower rate of brain disease in the male population. Still, what happens in the scalp of a balding person (including inflammation and free-radical damage) does seem to bear resemblance to what probably goes on in the brain tissue of brain-disease victims.

The incidence of male pattern (androgenic) baldness has been found to be the highest among college professors, and lowest among skid-row winos. Winos are also known to have the cleanest arteries in the world (which of course doesn’t save them from dying of cirrhosis of the liver). Could there be a connection? Let me remind you that alcohol is an excellent vasodilator — there is perhaps nothing quite like alcohol for dilating those peripheral blood vessels. And vasodilatation implies nitric oxide release. (I’m not recommending that anyone take up drinking. For years now I’ve been haunted by the question of whether it’s possible to duplicate the benefits of alcohol in a non-alcoholic way, which would be vastly prefer.”

c. "S-allyl-mercaptocysteine (SAMC), a compound derived from aged garlic, appears to diminish the growth of human prostate cancer cells. Researchers from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City found that the SAMC causes cancer cells to break down testosterone two to four times more quickly than normal—and through a route that does not produce dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a form of the hormone strongly associated with the multiplication of prostate cells. SAMC can be found only in garlic extract that is aged. Several immunotherapies have been approved by the FDA for cancer treatment. Others are still under study."

2. Turmeric (curcumin) and cayenne/ginger

a. "Moreover, during this testing, the patients treated with resveratrol and curcumin surprisingly showed positive improvements in the treatment of psoriasis and the attenuation and even a stop of the hair loss, a reduction of the hair graying and the rebirth of hair in bald areas sometimes even of the original color too.

Regarding its action on hair growth, even if not yet known, it is probably linked to the release of P substance. The growth and the pigmentation of the hair follicle would depend on mesenchymal-epithelium-neiroderic interactions not very well-known yet, where the P substance would stimulate the hair growth in vivo (RaIf Paus et al Investigation Labs, VoI 71, No 1 , p.135, 1994)."

b. I have found that cayenne/ginger work better than resveratrol at quickly circulating curcumin throughout the body. Ginger helps to cool the heat that accompanies the cayenne pepper so that one may benefit from its stimulating effects without experiencing the discomfort from the pepper.

3. Omega 3 (algal oil). A source of Omega 3

a. Recent research has found that with regards male pattern baldness they found that an excessive amount of a protein called prostaglandin D2 or PGD2 was present in those areas of the scalp affected., according to a study. Earlier studies carried out in Japan found that Eicospentenoic Acid (EPA) effectively reduced / blocked the production of the protein PGD2.

EPA or Eicosapentenoic Acid one of the active ingredients in Omega3 – The highest concentration of EPA per capsule is found in a supplement called TakeOmega3 which is an 85% omega3 product with 750mg EPA per capsule. It is also uniquely manufactured in MHRA licensed facilities here in UK and entirely manufactured here in the UK . The study concluded that men may be able to regrow all their hair if the inhibiting protein is removed, said George Cotsarelis, chairman of dermatology at The Perelman School of Medicine in Philadelphia.
We really do think if you remove the inhibition, you get longer hair, Cotsarelis, a study author, said in a telephone interview. We dont know if the follicles will return to their former lengths, he said. The study was funded by grants from the US National Institute of Health the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and other medical groups.

The researchers looked at all the genes in the scalp samples from five men, comparing the bald parts to the haired parts. They found higher expressions of the gene that produces PGD2 in the bald samples, compared to the spots with hair. With that as a guide, they found in samples of 17 men with hair loss that PGD2 was three times higher in the bald spots than where hair was growing. The scientists then used mice to show that excessive PGD2 decreased follicles.

Previous work has shown that the stem cells that create hair are still intact in bald men, Cotsarelis said. The follicles are also there, though they look smaller and produce thinner, shorter hair. Over time, the hair is so short it no longer passes the surface of the skin.

The study concluded that men may be able to regrow all their hair if the inhibiting protein is removed, said George Cotsarelis, chairman of dermatology at The Perelman School of Medicine in Philadelphia.

We really do think if you remove the inhibition, you get longer hair, Cotsarelis, a study author, said in a telephone interview. We dont know if the follicles will return to their former lengths, he said.

Whilst there are drugs in development and existance that block the D2 pathway surely a natural alternative would be preferable ?
In an earlier study carried out in Japan it showed that Eicosapentaenoic acid (Omega 3 EPA ) inhibits prostaglandin D2 generation by inhibiting cyclo-oxygenase-2 in cultured human mast cells. Obata T, Nagakura T, Masaki T, Maekawa K, Yama****a K. Source Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of DNA Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is catalysed by cyclo-oxygenase (COX), as is arachidonic acid, and is a competitive inhibitor of arachidonate metabolism.

OBJECTIVES: We examined the effect of EPA on prostaglandin (PG) D2 generation in the cultured human mast cells with IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation.

METHODS: Cultured human mast cells were incubated with EPA (1 micromol/L) for 20 h, then challenged with anti-IgE incubation after treatment with IgE. At the same time, COX inhibitors were tested to identify COX-1 and COX-2 activity. PGD2 synthetic activity was also assayed in a cell-free homogenate of cultured mast cells with COX inhibitors and EPA. Histamine in the culture medium and in cells was assayed with the HPLC-fluorescent method. PGD2 and PGD3 were assayed with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and the stable isotope dilution method.

RESULTS: Although EPA incubation did not affect histamine release by cultured human mast cells in response to IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation, it did decrease PGD2 generation by inhibiting the COX-2 pathway. In contrast, in the cell-free homogenate of cultured human mast cells, EPA inhibited both COX-1 and COX-2 activities.

CONCLUSION: Pre-incubation with EPA primarily affects the COX-2 pathway in cultured human mast cells and reduces PGD2 generation in response to IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation. These findings suggest that COX-1 and COX-2 have different substrate flow systems in mast cells. They also suggest that endogenous EPA diet supplementation would reduce PGD2 production and could serve as an anti-inflammatory substrate in human mast cells.

4. MSM

a. The Effectiveness of the Use of Oral Lignisul MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) Supplementation on Hair and Nail Health
Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D.

Methods

Hair study

Twenty-one subjects (16 men and 5 women) with a mean (± SD) age of 53 ± 14 y (ranging from 34 to 81 y) were recruited for the hair study. Participants were randomly assigned to two groups. Eleven subjects (9 men and 2 women) were asked to take daily capsules containing MSM at the dose 3,000 mg/day, for a period of 6 weeks. The remaining 10 subjects received placebo in identical capsules, for the same period of time. The placebo substance consisted of sucrose and a small amount of quinine sulfate added to create a slightly bitter taste, similar to that of MSM. The investigators and the subjects were blinded as to whether supplement capsules were with placebo or with MSM.

The hair health status was evaluated by Certified Cosmetologists under the direction of the Principal Investigator at the beginning of the study period ((t = 0) and after 6 weeks (t = 6 wk). The assessment of hair length, diameter and brilliance was done using industry-standard measurement scales.

Statistics

Changes in hair or nail health status induced by MSM vs. placebo supplementation were analyzed using non-parametric test followed by unpaired t-test and/or Wilcoxon test (for change in hair/nail length and hair diameter) and by chi-squared test (for changes in hair brilliance, nail thickness and nail lustre). The non-parametric tests were selected because of limited number of values and because the values within groups were not normally distributed. Results

Hair study

All subjects completed the study and no adverse effects were reported. The results of the hair health assessment in control vs. treatment group are presented in Table 1 (all subjects) and Table 2 (males). In all subjects, and also in males given the MSM supplement, hair brilliance was significantly improved when compared to the controls (p = 0.012 and p = 0.034 for all subjects and males, respectively). The moderate improvement in hair brilliance (+ 1 point in the scale 1-4) was observed in 55% of all subjects (6 out of 11) and in 56% males (5 out of 9) treated with MSM. In contrast, no changes in hair brilliance were reported in any of the placebo-treated subjects or males. The results obtained in females remained inconclusive due to very small sizes of placebo and treatment groups.

Analysis of changes in the remaining indicators of hair health status, hair length and diameter, did not show significant differences between the groups. Hair length increases tended to be greater in MSM-treated males than in their placebo-given counterparts (+20%, p = 0.20, p = 0.10 by unpaired t-test and by Wilcoxon test, respectively) but a similar trend was not observed for all subjects. Hair diameter did not tend to improve after 6 weeks of MSM supplementation.

Discussion

The results of the above pilot studies confirmed previous finding that in humans, chronic supplementation with MSM is unlikely to produce adverse health effects (6). The results also suggested that in healthy human subjects, a 6 wk supplementation with MSM (3 g/day) might beneficially affect the appearance of hair by significantly improving its brilliance. This observation is consistent with previous reports, which showed improved hair health parameters in animals fed diets supplemented with sulfur-rich compounds (1-2). Treatment with MSM did not produce significant changes in other parameters measured, such as hair length and diameter or nail length, thickness and luster, although male subjects given MSM tended to experience a better hair growth than their placebo-treated counterparts. The limited positive changes in hair health and lack of statistically significant improvement in nail health observed after MSM intervention are likely related to small group sizes and short periods of treatment. To verify this preliminary data, future full size trials should involve larger groups of subjects and longer periods of MSM treatment. The new trial should also utilize a crossover design, with periodical monitoring of blood sulfur concentrations as a marker of compliance.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
ahh... panicking, losing the argument - the last resort: whine to the administration. So this is your attempt to duck out '(dis)gracefully'...? :laugh:

btw I've never used a Merck product in my life

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Your posts have been reported as SPAM (for ukfinasteride :nono:, maker of the low libidos and male boobies)!

Back to natural treatments:

1. Aged garlic extract and vitamin C

a. Increases nitric acid. Nutrition Research (2007, vol. 27, no. 2). Scientists from New York's Pharmaceutical Research Institute at Albany College of Pharmacy recruited six people with marginally high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg). With one-week breaks between each course, subjects completed ten-day doses of vitamin C alone (2 grams per day), then garlic capsules alone (2.5 grams per day of freeze-dried bulb powder), and finally, a combination of the two. Taking vitamin C by itself did not affect the subjects' blood pressure. Garlic alone reduced systolic (peak) blood pressure, but not diastolic pressure (when the heart is resting). But together, vitamin C and garlic reduced systolic levels to between 110 and 120 and diastolic to 75 to 80.

Blood pressure dropped, researchers theorized, because cells lining the walls of the blood vessels were producing more nitric oxide, a compound that helps to regulate blood pressure and immunity, as well as many other bodily functions. Taking garlic supplements alone caused a twofold increase in cellular nitric oxide production, they said. But combining garlic and vitamin C resulted in a threefold increase. An estimated 72 million Americans older than 20 (1 in 3 adults) have high blood pressure, the number-one changeable risk factor for stroke.

b. “Well, there is at least one factor that androgenic baldness and Alzheimer’s disease have in common: atherosclerosis. The lining of blood vessels produces nitric oxide (‘NO’, as in MiNOxidol, the active ingredient in Rogaine) and possibly other hair growth factors; when this lining is damaged through the accumulation of atherosclerotic plaque, less nitric oxide (NO) is produced.

Please don’t draw the wrong conclusion that a balding man is doomed to go on to Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s. Like most men, he’ll probably die of heart disease, which is a much better way to die. Also, 40% of men die before their 75th birthday, which also helps account for the lower rate of brain disease in the male population. Still, what happens in the scalp of a balding person (including inflammation and free-radical damage) does seem to bear resemblance to what probably goes on in the brain tissue of brain-disease victims.

The incidence of male pattern (androgenic) baldness has been found to be the highest among college professors, and lowest among skid-row winos. Winos are also known to have the cleanest arteries in the world (which of course doesn’t save them from dying of cirrhosis of the liver). Could there be a connection? Let me remind you that alcohol is an excellent vasodilator — there is perhaps nothing quite like alcohol for dilating those peripheral blood vessels. And vasodilatation implies nitric oxide release. (I’m not recommending that anyone take up drinking. For years now I’ve been haunted by the question of whether it’s possible to duplicate the benefits of alcohol in a non-alcoholic way, which would be vastly prefer.”

c. "S-allyl-mercaptocysteine (SAMC), a compound derived from aged garlic, appears to diminish the growth of human prostate cancer cells. Researchers from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City found that the SAMC causes cancer cells to break down testosterone two to four times more quickly than normal—and through a route that does not produce dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a form of the hormone strongly associated with the multiplication of prostate cells. SAMC can be found only in garlic extract that is aged. Several immunotherapies have been approved by the FDA for cancer treatment. Others are still under study."

2. Turmeric (curcumin) and cayenne/ginger

a. "Moreover, during this testing, the patients treated with resveratrol and curcumin surprisingly showed positive improvements in the treatment of psoriasis and the attenuation and even a stop of the hair loss, a reduction of the hair graying and the rebirth of hair in bald areas sometimes even of the original color too.

Regarding its action on hair growth, even if not yet known, it is probably linked to the release of P substance. The growth and the pigmentation of the hair follicle would depend on mesenchymal-epithelium-neiroderic interactions not very well-known yet, where the P substance would stimulate the hair growth in vivo (RaIf Paus et al Investigation Labs, VoI 71, No 1 , p.135, 1994)."

b. I have found that cayenne/ginger work better than resveratrol at quickly circulating curcumin throughout the body. Ginger helps to cool the heat that accompanies the cayenne pepper so that one may benefit from its stimulating effects without experiencing the discomfort from the pepper.

3. Omega 3 (algal oil). A source of Omega 3

a. Recent research has found that with regards male pattern baldness they found that an excessive amount of a protein called prostaglandin D2 or PGD2 was present in those areas of the scalp affected., according to a study. Earlier studies carried out in Japan found that Eicospentenoic Acid (EPA) effectively reduced / blocked the production of the protein PGD2.

EPA or Eicosapentenoic Acid one of the active ingredients in Omega3 – The highest concentration of EPA per capsule is found in a supplement called TakeOmega3 which is an 85% omega3 product with 750mg EPA per capsule. It is also uniquely manufactured in MHRA licensed facilities here in UK and entirely manufactured here in the UK . The study concluded that men may be able to regrow all their hair if the inhibiting protein is removed, said George Cotsarelis, chairman of dermatology at The Perelman School of Medicine in Philadelphia.
We really do think if you remove the inhibition, you get longer hair, Cotsarelis, a study author, said in a telephone interview. We dont know if the follicles will return to their former lengths, he said. The study was funded by grants from the US National Institute of Health the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and other medical groups.

The researchers looked at all the genes in the scalp samples from five men, comparing the bald parts to the haired parts. They found higher expressions of the gene that produces PGD2 in the bald samples, compared to the spots with hair. With that as a guide, they found in samples of 17 men with hair loss that PGD2 was three times higher in the bald spots than where hair was growing. The scientists then used mice to show that excessive PGD2 decreased follicles.

Previous work has shown that the stem cells that create hair are still intact in bald men, Cotsarelis said. The follicles are also there, though they look smaller and produce thinner, shorter hair. Over time, the hair is so short it no longer passes the surface of the skin.

The study concluded that men may be able to regrow all their hair if the inhibiting protein is removed, said George Cotsarelis, chairman of dermatology at The Perelman School of Medicine in Philadelphia.

We really do think if you remove the inhibition, you get longer hair, Cotsarelis, a study author, said in a telephone interview. We dont know if the follicles will return to their former lengths, he said.

Whilst there are drugs in development and existance that block the D2 pathway surely a natural alternative would be preferable ?
In an earlier study carried out in Japan it showed that Eicosapentaenoic acid (Omega 3 EPA ) inhibits prostaglandin D2 generation by inhibiting cyclo-oxygenase-2 in cultured human mast cells. Obata T, Nagakura T, Masaki T, Maekawa K, Yama****a K. Source Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of DNA Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is catalysed by cyclo-oxygenase (COX), as is arachidonic acid, and is a competitive inhibitor of arachidonate metabolism.

OBJECTIVES: We examined the effect of EPA on prostaglandin (PG) D2 generation in the cultured human mast cells with IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation.

METHODS: Cultured human mast cells were incubated with EPA (1 micromol/L) for 20 h, then challenged with anti-IgE incubation after treatment with IgE. At the same time, COX inhibitors were tested to identify COX-1 and COX-2 activity. PGD2 synthetic activity was also assayed in a cell-free homogenate of cultured mast cells with COX inhibitors and EPA. Histamine in the culture medium and in cells was assayed with the HPLC-fluorescent method. PGD2 and PGD3 were assayed with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and the stable isotope dilution method.

RESULTS: Although EPA incubation did not affect histamine release by cultured human mast cells in response to IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation, it did decrease PGD2 generation by inhibiting the COX-2 pathway. In contrast, in the cell-free homogenate of cultured human mast cells, EPA inhibited both COX-1 and COX-2 activities.

CONCLUSION: Pre-incubation with EPA primarily affects the COX-2 pathway in cultured human mast cells and reduces PGD2 generation in response to IgE-anti-IgE challenge incubation. These findings suggest that COX-1 and COX-2 have different substrate flow systems in mast cells. They also suggest that endogenous EPA diet supplementation would reduce PGD2 production and could serve as an anti-inflammatory substrate in human mast cells.

4. MSM

a. The Effectiveness of the Use of Oral Lignisul MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) Supplementation on Hair and Nail Health
Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D.

Methods

Hair study

Twenty-one subjects (16 men and 5 women) with a mean (± SD) age of 53 ± 14 y (ranging from 34 to 81 y) were recruited for the hair study. Participants were randomly assigned to two groups. Eleven subjects (9 men and 2 women) were asked to take daily capsules containing MSM at the dose 3,000 mg/day, for a period of 6 weeks. The remaining 10 subjects received placebo in identical capsules, for the same period of time. The placebo substance consisted of sucrose and a small amount of quinine sulfate added to create a slightly bitter taste, similar to that of MSM. The investigators and the subjects were blinded as to whether supplement capsules were with placebo or with MSM.

The hair health status was evaluated by Certified Cosmetologists under the direction of the Principal Investigator at the beginning of the study period ((t = 0) and after 6 weeks (t = 6 wk). The assessment of hair length, diameter and brilliance was done using industry-standard measurement scales.

Statistics

Changes in hair or nail health status induced by MSM vs. placebo supplementation were analyzed using non-parametric test followed by unpaired t-test and/or Wilcoxon test (for change in hair/nail length and hair diameter) and by chi-squared test (for changes in hair brilliance, nail thickness and nail lustre). The non-parametric tests were selected because of limited number of values and because the values within groups were not normally distributed. Results

Hair study

All subjects completed the study and no adverse effects were reported. The results of the hair health assessment in control vs. treatment group are presented in Table 1 (all subjects) and Table 2 (males). In all subjects, and also in males given the MSM supplement, hair brilliance was significantly improved when compared to the controls (p = 0.012 and p = 0.034 for all subjects and males, respectively). The moderate improvement in hair brilliance (+ 1 point in the scale 1-4) was observed in 55% of all subjects (6 out of 11) and in 56% males (5 out of 9) treated with MSM. In contrast, no changes in hair brilliance were reported in any of the placebo-treated subjects or males. The results obtained in females remained inconclusive due to very small sizes of placebo and treatment groups.

Analysis of changes in the remaining indicators of hair health status, hair length and diameter, did not show significant differences between the groups. Hair length increases tended to be greater in MSM-treated males than in their placebo-given counterparts (+20%, p = 0.20, p = 0.10 by unpaired t-test and by Wilcoxon test, respectively) but a similar trend was not observed for all subjects. Hair diameter did not tend to improve after 6 weeks of MSM supplementation.

Discussion

The results of the above pilot studies confirmed previous finding that in humans, chronic supplementation with MSM is unlikely to produce adverse health effects (6). The results also suggested that in healthy human subjects, a 6 wk supplementation with MSM (3 g/day) might beneficially affect the appearance of hair by significantly improving its brilliance. This observation is consistent with previous reports, which showed improved hair health parameters in animals fed diets supplemented with sulfur-rich compounds (1-2). Treatment with MSM did not produce significant changes in other parameters measured, such as hair length and diameter or nail length, thickness and luster, although male subjects given MSM tended to experience a better hair growth than their placebo-treated counterparts. The limited positive changes in hair health and lack of statistically significant improvement in nail health observed after MSM intervention are likely related to small group sizes and short periods of treatment. To verify this preliminary data, future full size trials should involve larger groups of subjects and longer periods of MSM treatment. The new trial should also utilize a crossover design, with periodical monitoring of blood sulfur concentrations as a marker of compliance.

TheShopKeeper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi The Natural, I see you have changed your regiment and not using curcumin anymore. Is there any reason for this?

I've been in MSM, Curcumin, Resveratol, Vit C and Tocomin for a while now and it's been an awesome combo for me. I feel no itching in my scalp when exercising and most importantly shedding under control.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I think a natural regime will help if you get on it at an early enough stage...but that is a fine line...I probably needed to get on beet juice and better my diet when I was 29, not 43!!

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi The Natural, I see you have changed your regiment and not using curcumin anymore. Is there any reason for this?
I've been in MSM, Curcumin, Resveratol, Vit C and Tocomin for a while now and it's been an awesome combo for me. I feel no itching in my scalp when exercising and most importantly shedding under control.

Hey, be careful now TheShopKeeper, the drug addicts out here might disagree with your experience - LOL! Glad to read of your continued success.

I have been experimenting with TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) for several months now, and found that a hair & skin product that contains fo ti extract, eclipta alba plant, amla berry extract, lingstrum fruit has the same effect on my scalp as curcumin and resveratrol: no dandruff, no itch, and no shed.

Vitamin C and MSM remain in my regimen.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a natural regime will help if you get on it at an early enough stage...but that is a fine line...I probably needed to get on beet juice and better my diet when I was 29, not 43!!

:)

TheShopKeeper

Established Member
Reaction score
I see... I don't think I'll be changing my regiment any time soon since my general health has benefitted. I plan on carrying on for at least a year and re-asses the situation then.

But having said that I definitely know that Amla is a great addition. Coming from an Indian background, my mum swears by the stuff and even applies it to her scalp topically by using Amla powder and making a paste overnight.

I'll also add The Natural, be sure that your Amla is pure. I've seen many that contain a very small % of the active ingredient.

Ginkosama

Reaction score
If someone wants to give this regimen a shot I am selling a box of Curcumin (120 caps), one of Boswellia (180 caps), 2 of MSM (250 grams each) and one of Ginger (100 caps).
At a discounted price of course.

LouReed

Reaction score
The incidence of male pattern (androgenic) baldness has been found to be the highest among college professors, and lowest among skid-row winos. Winos are also known to have the cleanest arteries in the world (which of course doesn’t save them from dying of cirrhosis of the liver). Could there be a connection? Let me remind you that alcohol is an excellent vasodilator — there is perhaps nothing quite like alcohol for dilating those peripheral blood vessels. And vasodilatation implies nitric oxide release.

Is there a citation for this claim (the winos vs professors part)? I found the source material in a google search, but there is no citation.
http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/biology_of_baldness.htm

I'm confused as to why aged garlic is your recommendation for vasodilation. I am sure supplemental vitamin C and garlic are good for you, but wouldn't coffee, chocolate, ginseng, or gingko also work just as well?

Mekalg

Reaction score
male pattern baldness Research

Honestly man the I go you are giving people is really great! Taking a more natural approach to hair loss in a multiplicity of angles including DHT, inflammation, hormone balancing like SHBG levels and other oxidative stress naturally will benefit most people. I'm 18 and I've had a small bit of reccesion on the right side of the hair line. Finding this out I went to male pattern baldness-research.org and the guy there has a great source of info. I was wondering how long have you been doing this and if you've had any regrowth or hair thickening? I've had a personal Natural Regimen for the past 2 months and its been improving!