The Most Undetectable Systems I've Ever Seen?

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of commentary online about Dan Abrams and William Shatner wearing hair. Recently I watched Shatner on a reality show episode, and Abrams interviewed on a network news show. I must say, if these really are hair pieces they are the most convincing I have ever seen. Shatner's scalp was somewhat visible on the top and sides, very age appropriate density. Abrams' hair was combed back and quite graduated at the hairline, again very age appropriate.... and as much as I tried to detect an edge at the hairline I couldn't see one. After seeing this I'm now kind of skeptical that these guys actually wear, but if they do, both of the systems are fantastic . Does anybody know what kind of systems they are wearing (if they are wearing)?

Got a screen capture of Shatner but couldn't get one of Abrams.

bill.PNG

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's well-known that Shatner's worn wigs for decades. He's had a long time to perfect the art.

It shouldn't be hard with his unexposed hairline to be undetectable. Once you control for color and density, that's 90% of the tells. I swear 2/3 of the pieces I see are too thick, time to reduce it up! Also has designed a great contour.

Also remember this is TV, they put on makeup to hide what they don't want seen.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's well-known that Shatner's worn wigs for decades. He's had a long time to perfect the art.

It shouldn't be hard with his unexposed hairline to be undetectable. Once you control for color and density, that's 90% of the tells. I swear 2/3 of the pieces I see are too thick, time to reduce it up! Also has designed a great contour.

Also remember this is TV, they put on makeup to hide what they don't want seen.

I have seen a couple of obvious pieces at a local grocery store, both were employees in their 60's with very thick, black hair.
Shatner's was impressive because it was light density and there was scalp visible on top and sides. I imagine that would have to be a skin base, or is it also achievable with lace? But you are correct, it might be a completely different impression away from cameras, and under the bright sun.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shatner wore a piece when he was on star trek back in the day.

He wears a full cap now apparently. And it's absolutely amazing. His light density and contour are just amazing.

https://www.closerweekly.com/wp-con...rop=297px,44px,1984px,1125px&resize=1920,1080

Look at that one. His side is too defined and while almost nobody would pick him out for it, it seems like a giveaway.

With hair like that I think the stigma needs to go away. It's the thick and unsightly pieces that give the rest a bad name unfortunately

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of obvious pieces at a local grocery store, both were employees in their 60's with very thick, black hair.
Shatner's was impressive because it was light density and there was scalp visible on top and sides. I imagine that would have to be a skin base, or is it also achievable with lace? But you are correct, it might be a completely different impression away from cameras, and under the bright sun.

Lace is more invisible than UTS, at least in bright light. You just need to make sure the knots are fully bleached, which sometimes is hard with factory pieces due to thicker knotting and fabric dyes.

Noah

Reaction score
I don't think I could tell Shatner is wearing now, but some of the pieces he wore on Star Trek have been rendered detectable by high definition remastering of the film stock. They were theatrical hairpieces, with a wide strip of lace left on - never intended to be viewed in real-life conditions. Also there have been a few "tell all" accounts from his fellow cast members about seeing him in make-up having his toupee applied etc. He doesn't seem to have been a much-loved colleague - envy possibly.

IMG_9589.PNG IMG_9590.jpg

Dan Abram's units are superb now, but earlier in his career they were less good. There are a few pics where his front lace has been caught by the harsh studio lighting. The combination of the harsh theatrical lighting and the high definition cameras make it very difficult for these guys.

IMG_9587.jpg IMG_9588.PNG

Bastien

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think I could tell Shatner is wearing now, but some of the pieces he wore on Star Trek have been rendered detectable by high definition remastering of the film stock. They were theatrical hairpieces, with a wide strip of lace left on - never intended to be viewed in real-life conditions. Also there have been a few "tell all" accounts from his fellow cast members about seeing him in make-up having his toupee applied etc. He doesn't seem to have been a much-loved colleague - envy possibly.

View attachment 139425 View attachment 139424

Dan Abram's units are superb now, but earlier in his career they were less good. There are a few pics where his front lace has been caught by the harsh studio lighting. The combination of the harsh theatrical lighting and the high definition cameras make it very difficult for these guys.

View attachment 139427 View attachment 139426

Only someone who knows hair units world would notice for Dan Abram I think.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apparently Shatner's supplier is LA-based Ed Katz, who uses synthetic hair. He also did Burt Reynolds pieces, which always looked excellent, as well as Tony Curtis', which looked like a joke.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since it was brought up - lets talk about synthetic hair? My units comprise of 60% color matched natural hair, and 40% gray synthetic hair. I struggle with my hair lightening up between maintenance intervals. I know the synthetic hair will not fade, but aside from that - what are the advantages of synthetic - and who on here wears it?

Also, bleaching knots are important to me because I use a thinner density unit. Do they have a way to accommodate for the bleached-knot effect with synthetic hair?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
We use synthetic hair for grey hair, which holds up well, and does not fade, nor are you required to bleach the knots. It's all about the quality. Cheaper synthetic looks shiny, and fake. Good synthetic, like mine, looks and feels, amazing.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We use synthetic hair for grey hair, which holds up well, and does not fade, nor are you required to bleach the knots. It's all about the quality. Cheaper synthetic looks shiny, and fake. Good synthetic, like mine, looks and feels, amazing.

I know on gray hair you don't bleach the knots - but on med- brown (in my avatar it my hair looks lighter than it is for some reason) I assume I would need/want to. how about styling? Are there any limitations to styling?

I am completely uninformed on synth. hair.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I entered an elevator in a hospital 2 weeks ago and there were 2 guys wearing and me so that was 3 of us. The one was wearing a definite wig; it was parted and ...you could just tell by the part; it was not a lace unit...more like one you would wear on Halloween. THe other guy was of middle eastern decent with a very VERY thick density piece for his age and his bio hair above his ears was white and not black like the piece. Very obvious. I think mine looked much better.