the most potent anti androgen or dht blocker

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
If you looked at my regimen, you'd see i don't use finasteride, i'm mostly anti-finasteride because of the risk of sides but i have been considering it.

Fair enough though, i stand corrected, i didn't see where you'd written that finasteride doesn't stop working after 2 years.

However, it sounds as though there's no topical DHT inhibitors out there that make a difference, certainly none with even a quarter effectiveness as oral finasteride, or with the same cost.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
Bryan is saying, although it may lose it's initial effectiveness, it still works to a degree where you lose less hair but not as much as if you didn't take it all, right?

Yea, and I'm saying that why use a drug that starts to lose power after a period # of years when there are topical DHT inhibitors that continue to work as long as you use it without decline?

Oh, you think there are topical "DHT inhibitors" [sic] that were tested for male pattern baldness in just as careful and precise a fashion as finasteride was tested for male pattern baldness by Merck, and found to work even better than Propecia? :) You're dreaming, friend. I suspect that any topical 5a-reductase inhibitor would probably have the same long-term effect on haircounts as Propecia did (a slight decline in haircounts, after the peak at one or two years). In any event, there's no point in even making such a claim, without actually testing it first, to see what happens in that regard.

ripple-effect said:
These are not accurate statements. It implies after 2 years the drug stops working, which is clearly not the case.

You need to read everything I wrote out. I made sure everyone knew that I did not imply with those statements the way you say I mean. If I meant that when I said that then I would make it clear right now.

I think it's clear what you were saying during your original posts that Propecia "dies off" after the first two years. I give you credit, though, for realizing the error of your ways, and considerably modifying such a false and egregious claim.

ripple-effect said:
I also think it's "laughable" that these comments are coming from Propecia users.

I'm not a Propecia user. I've never taken a molecule of finasteride in my entire life.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
UKmale;

What do you mean by a topical DHT inhibitor? Regarding your comment that none exist, the jury is out on Eucapil, and Ketoconazole is more effective than many think.

I say this time and time again, there is some evidence that low dose topical dutasteride is under-appreciated, especially since a little may go a long way and it is easy to obtain.

What do you have to lose? I month's oral supply of 30 gel caps (0.5 mg) will last 4 months at 0.25 mg every other day and perhaps even that dose is a bit too high.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Keto shampoo, and occasionally applied keto cream. Has topical dutasteride done anything for you? How do you apply it topically?

Rocky V

Established Member
Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
I use Keto shampoo, and occasionally applied keto cream. Has topical dutasteride done anything for you? How do you apply it topically?

how has keto cream been for you?

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
rubbish. just aggravates my skin, although i'm sure it's something you probably have to use every day or two days for a period over 3-6 months to see anything.

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe you guys didn't pick up on the fact that finasteride DOESNT INHIBIT ALL YOUR DHT. It blocks ~85%. That's still 15% or 1/7th left. Thats why it trends back towards the baseline slowly, although in some men 1/7th is enough!

If you think the 15% could be an issue, use dutasteride since it blocks ~98%.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
Rutt;

Technically, neither finasteride nor dutasteride inhibits DHT. They block the action of the enzyme that converts T to DHT.

Therein lies the problem. For some men, it does appear that DHT needs to be "inhibited" nearly 100% and that may not be achieved without significant side effects and risks.

A good discussion point too is circulating DHT. Studies are equivocal regarding its contribution to hair loss, as are studies regarding Type I 5-Apha's contribution to hair loss, as this enzyme is not blocked by finasteride.

I have said this many times, I saw no appreciable gains of any kind until I stated a combination of topical Dutasteride and 2% Keto. I needed to stop minoxidil due to side effects and had some regression that appears to have been reversed by Bimatoprost. This was recently supplemented with Eucapil.

And I don't use too much Dutasteride. Only 0.20 mg every other day.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
Rutt;

Technically, neither finasteride nor dutasteride inhibits DHT. They block the action of the enzyme that converts T to DHT.

Therein lies the problem. For some men, it does appear that DHT needs to be "inhibited" nearly 100% and that may not be achieved without significant side effects and risks.

A good discussion point too is circulating DHT. Studies are equivocal regarding its contribution to hair loss, as are studies regarding Type I 5-Apha's contribution to hair loss, as this enzyme is not blocked by finasteride.

I have said this many times, I saw no appreciable gains of any kind until I stated a combination of topical Dutasteride and 2% Keto. I needed to stop minoxidil due to side effects and had some regression that appears to have been reversed by Bimatoprost. This was recently supplemented with Eucapil.

And I don't use too much Dutasteride. Only 0.20 mg every other day.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
Rocky V said:
how often do you use it? did it stop or slow down your hairloss?

I don't use it, i've used it about 5 times, not really enough for me to make a claim it counters hair loss, lol.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JohnNYC said:

I _do_ recommend that people use the same terms that doctors and scientists use in professional journals. The term "DHT inhibitor" is just a bastardization used by people on hairloss forums. Doctors and scientists don't say that! They say "5a-reductase inhibitor". :)

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah although bryan argued some stuff relentlessly he had a lot of good points and knew a lot about male pattern baldness. He would always correct people when they spouted non sense as happens so often on the forums

g.i joey

Reaction score
rip to bryan, when i first noticed hairloss, i would seek his opinion for approval on everything i was researching, sucks we dont have such a reputable person on these forums anymore.