the lowdown on dutasteride. . .

jetsman5ian

Reaction score
could someone let me know the details of dutasterine (i think thats how its spelt)

my hair is receding quite quickly and ive been shedding for two months now and i was wondering if dutasteride would work for me

wuts the difference between dutasteride and finasteride?

do i need a prescription?

cost?

how long for results?

side effects?

just all the basics

thanx guys

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Somebody answer dis man----I've been wondering about its availibility myself.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride inhibits both enzymes that catalyze the reaction to produce DHT. Furthermore, dutasteride inhibits more of the enzyme that appears to be the guilty party in producing DHT in the scalp. So it is presumably a more potent weapon against hair loss than is finasteride. However, the manufacturer has not completed the FDA tests so that the FDA will allow them to claim it is effective against hair loss. Reportedly, those tests were discontinued because the manufacturer didn't believe the likely return on investment justified the costs of the tests. As a result, dutasteride is approved by the FDA for combatting enlarged benign enlarged prostates only.

You need a prescription for dutasteride in the US. Most doctors will not write you a prescription to use it for hair loss, since they are not supposed to do that. However, you can buy it from offshore sources without a prescription. Here are two sources.

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/home.htm

WARNING: Don't rush out to buy prescription medicine without doing your homework and consulting a doctor. Although the FDA studies indicate that side effects of dutasteride do not appear to be serious to long-term health, this drug systemically inhibits a hormone in the body, and that cannot be taken lightly. I take dutasteride myself, so obviously I have concluded that the risks are slight, but do your own research.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As mvpsoft said, Dutasteride is a dual 5ar inhibitor (both type I and II) while Finasteride is a specific type II 5ar inhibitor.

Finasteride inhibits 85%-90% of type II 5ar (which is likely the main culprit in male pattern baldness). Dutasteride inhibits around 97% or so of type II 5ar.

On paper Dutasteride looks superior to Finasteride and perhaps it is. However, it should be noted that type I 5ar in present in brain tissue and that specific type I inhibitors (like MK386) have had no noticeable effect of male pattern baldness (unlike type II specific inhibitors like Finasteride).

Furthermore, not only is Dutasteride more likely to induce negative side-effects, any side-effects induced by Dutasteride could last for months due to it long half-life.

In short, ALWAYS use Finasteride and Nizoral 2% shampoo FIRST to maintain your hairline. Use Minoxidil to help increase hair regrowth. IMHO, it is a VERY BAD idea to jump right into Dutasteride without trying Finasteride first.