The liver and male pattern baldness

Hoppi

Reaction score
muhu - Sorry if I come across badly, I do understand I can be a bit much lol :)

But I can assure you I have real, full male pattern baldness - I'm losing hair diffusely all over my head with a very strong focus on the male pattern baldness area and a gradually receding hairline but it's still at very early stages. The diffuse thinning is more obvious though (it fills the plughole :( ).

The honest reason I flick around so much I can promise you is NOT because I'm just fickle, although I am antsy for results and so I'm sure that pulled me along, but the reason pretty much 100% is because I research this SO much as I love my hair to bits! Thing is what people don't fully see is that I can't really just jump on normal treatments and forget, because I have my horrible intolerance to egg (and sometimes more minor to other fatty foods) that started at the same time as everything to always remind me something is wrong with my digestion. Literally raw egg (such as mayonnaise) consumed in fairly normal amounts gives me about 2 or so hours of absolutely unbearable cramping inwhich I literally cannot move as the pain is so severe, plus I nearly always faint, and I always get "the runs" lol

So, do you see what I mean? Even if I hopped on a normal regimen which I've considered many times and already put spironolactone cream on my hairline, I'd STILL have to do all this anyway to try to understand and heal my digestive system. And like I say egg is the absolute number 1 liver/bile stimulant, and Justin had precisely the same cramping preceding HIS male pattern baldness. Just how can it be purely genetics, how can it be anything like that when both our bodies were screaming out for attention just beforehand anyway?

Thom said:
I'm not sure because I know people who are experiencing male pattern baldness and they do not get the itch. I didn't get the itch until I moved into a new house in a different part of the city so I always had my theories about the amount of chemicals in the water affecting my scalp. Funny thing is, after moving my cats all started balding on their hindquarters so maybe there's a correlation?

What's also unusual is that minoxidil relieves my scalp itching as where it worsens it for other people.

That's really interesting - I really don't know. I always blamed my itch mostly on... either inflammation, but also the dandruff that was there - I found T-Gel fixed that problem for me very fast but for me it was almost certainly just an androgenetic alopecia symptom :(

Chemicals and stuff... maybe I really don't know! If it's resulting in Androgenetic Alopecia (particularly if accompanied by a body hair increase), then it may be due to toxins hitting the liver and burdening it. Perhaps it could also be an increase in inflammation or the actions of specific chemicals or something like that. My friend mentioned male pattern baldness being commonplace where she lives which is very polluted.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will say I got a shower head filter for it and it alleviated the itching a bit. I need to get a refill now as that was a year ago. I've had co-workers from Asia and North Africa that said their balding/thinning sped up rapidly and their heads started itching more upon moving to the UK and/or the US. They always blamed the water as they were used to natural well water.

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
Well.. If scientists "had an idea" what caused hairloss I think it would have been easier for them to find a cure. Obviously their dht binding to the hair follicle theory wasn't really spot on since their drugs that suppress dht don't always stop hairloss

CCS

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
Do we know that? Could hair loss be an advancement in evolution? We have consistently got less hairy through evolution right.

It is evolution's way of getting us more vitamin D. Living indoors so much is selecting against the hairier people.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
elliotramsey said:
Well.. If scientists "had an idea" what caused hairloss I think it would have been easier for them to find a cure. Obviously their dht binding to the hair follicle theory wasn't really spot on since their drugs that suppress dht don't always stop hairloss

I don't think there's any "DHT binding to the hair follicle" theory, except among relatively unsophisticated theorists. The important point here is that there are other different androgens besides just DHT which can contribute to balding, in my opinion. The use of 5a-reductase inhibitors like finasteride and dutasteride can actually increase the levels of those other androgens a bit. For many years I've thought that the emphasis on Propecia and Avodart is excessive. While the (partial) suppression of DHT by these drugs is certainly helpful, by no means should any reasonable person expect them always to be a cure for balding. They reduce, but certainly don't eliminate androgenic stimulation.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I quite like the way that even though Bryan and I disagree on the means of reducing androgenic stimulation (him with Propecia / Avodart and me with (what I perceive to be) hormonal balance) we at least agree on the key mechanism and the outcome! So we either end up fighting like cats and dogs or agreeing very happily xD

Hoppi

Reaction score
Holy cr*p... this sounds VERY close to what I have! ::

"The bacteria are in the liver because your liver attempted to strain them out of your blood and lymph in order to kill them with bile. Instead they turned around and ''ate'' the bile, turning it brown as evidence. Now every time your liver lets down bile into the intestine (and stomach),a population of these bacteria goes with it."

That would explain why my symptoms in response to mayo and other fats sometimes feel like FOOD POISONING and NOT a gallbladder attack!!! I never, ever get pain in my upper right abdomen (at least not as far as I can recall), which would indicate a gb attack (stones, sludge, etc).

Again, not sure, just thinking out loud :)

ALL THREE of us alternative guys who separately researched male pattern baldness have pointed the finger massively at bacteria and parasites (even though I never thought I would) ...

And god I'll be so embarrassed if it turns out all this was caused in essence by FOOD POISONING and I didn't even know! What an idiot >.<

Hoppi

Reaction score
Oo and I have a question!

Let's say this works. Let's say for arguments sake it is bacteria in my liver, I clean it up, and my liver goes back to filtering out hormones as before and my male pattern baldness gradually subsides and disappears, for argument's sake. Would you guys then accept (if I were to post pictures and updates of the regrowth that would follow) that the liver has a large role to play in "making or breaking" male pattern baldness? :)

EDIT - omg!!

"Schiffenbauer explained how adding full
strength pomegranate juice to various
samples of viruses and bacteria destroyed
them within about 10 minutes . It was
literally up to 100 % effective. Besides the
E.coli B and the S. aureus (the cause of
many staph infections) , the juice was found to destroy bacteria S. mutans (cavity
causing bacteria ) , and B . cereus ( a
common cause of food poisoning )."

http://www.suite101.com/blog/yavrom/the ... megranates

" In May 2007, Pace University scientists
discovered 100 - percent pomegranate juice significantly reduced microbes that
commonly cause cavities, staph infections,
and food poisoning , including a form of E. coli. "

http://www.qsrmagazine.com/articles/exc ... Telogen Effluvium-1.phtml

Pomegranate seems a perfect start to resuming liver and digestive health. Used for long enough and plentifully it should even purge cholesterol from the liver too like malic acid, and remove parasites :)

Yay! ^_^

EDIT AGAIN - Right well I've just got back with a whole litre of organic, pure pomegranate juice - I intend to drink a whole bottle every day! Anything could happen I think...

Hoppi

Reaction score
Hm, I have a question hopefully to break this thread's silence - did anyone else's male pattern baldness start with any kind of digestive issue or health issue like mine did? Or perhaps pains of any kind around the abdomen? The connection for me was quite obvious chronologically :)

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I have always had digestive problems, being "irregular" and all. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thom said:
Well I have always had digestive problems, being "irregular" and all. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though!

Hm, I would deeeefinitely say you should address your digestion, especially if it's already resulted in some improvement!

It's really very simple down there lol

You just have the stomach (usually messed up by the bacteria H. pylori, if anything), the liver, gallbladder and pancreas (messed up by bacteria, parasites and fat, if anything), the intestines (which can be messed up by a lack of bile / pancreatic juice, too much bad bacteria, too little good bacteria, candida, parasites and also some less likely but possible conditions like celiac, etc). Common allergens are worth looking at as well like wheat, gluten and cow's milk.

Of course there can simply be a lack of stomach acid, bile, p. juice, etc, caused by other factors, but it's really down to the individual as to what is most likely. However I believe that to cause male pattern baldness the liver has to usually be quite firmly tied in. The best place to start for young people I think is general health, exercise, pomegranate, malic acid or apples, kefir, things like that to knock things back into balance! I'm gonna try to get hold of some vegan kefir today to get some good bacteria into my system! Whoppee! ^_^

tsiroutraw

Reaction score
I also do believe male pattern baldness has to do with a lot of other stuff than just dht in the scalp. Personnaly, to answer your question hoppi as i remember when i was young and had perfect hair i could eat one russian meal that my mother was doing in any amount (its fried and fat heavy with meat). Now, i feel like vomiting if i eat too much of stuff like that. Another thing is my father and grandfather both have male pattern baldness, however my grandfather always followed a healthy lifestyle and still has more hair than my father now ( hes is in his 70s my dad is in his 40s)

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I've gone through periods, and by periods I mean months, of eating very well yet the digestive system shows little improvement. Honestly I have my own theory and blame it on a slightly curved spine. My family is formed the way you might called swayback. I'm sure you've seen the people who walk like roosters with their hindquarters stuck out? Haha well I don't look like that and it's not noticeable except when I do situps or crunches they tend to be harder due to the curvature. Also, I've never been able to sleep flat on my back because it gets uncomfortable after awhile.

My theory is that the way my spine is formed arranges the intestines in such a way that it just takes longer for the stuff to do it's work. May sound silly but after many diet changes over the years it's the only theory I have!

Btw, while we're on the subject of diet changes and hair growth you might want to check out this article that was posted in the general forum. It's quite interesting!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... -diet.html

Hoppi

Reaction score
Re:

colgate360 said:
I also do believe male pattern baldness has to do with a lot of other stuff than just dht in the scalp. Personnaly, to answer your question hoppi as i remember when i was young and had perfect hair i could eat one russian meal that my mother was doing in any amount (its fried and fat heavy with meat). Now, i feel like vomiting if i eat too much of stuff like that. Another thing is my father and grandfather both have male pattern baldness, however my grandfather always followed a healthy lifestyle and still has more hair than my father now ( hes is in his 70s my dad is in his 40s)

hm, if I were you I'd liver cleanse (for cholesterol) with malic acid, choline (ideally with inositol) and Chanca Piedra, and if you think you may have bacteria or parasite issues then high dose iodine and Humaworm respectively seem the best two. Also psyllium husks and pineapple seem great for intestinal health :)

Pomegranate is a great all-rounder!

The fact that it's to fatty food and is connected to male pattern baldness does hint at the liver for me :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thom said:
Well I've gone through periods, and by periods I mean months, of eating very well yet the digestive system shows little improvement. Honestly I have my own theory and blame it on a slightly curved spine. My family is formed the way you might called swayback. I'm sure you've seen the people who walk like roosters with their hindquarters stuck out? Haha well I don't look like that and it's not noticeable except when I do situps or crunches they tend to be harder due to the curvature. Also, I've never been able to sleep flat on my back because it gets uncomfortable after awhile.

My theory is that the way my spine is formed arranges the intestines in such a way that it just takes longer for the stuff to do it's work. May sound silly but after many diet changes over the years it's the only theory I have!

Btw, while we're on the subject of diet changes and hair growth you might want to check out this article that was posted in the general forum. It's quite interesting!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... -diet.html

hehe possibly!

And erm... that woman probably just had anaemia or something didn't she? o_O

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but last year I was wondering if my hair loss was due to low testosterone (turns out it's opposite) and I got my blood tested and the doctor said my only problem was my iron levels were a little low. I didn't know that contributed to hair loss until reading that article so I'm looking into more iron now!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Right well I just did 22 drops of Iosol iodine, 450mg of 10x concentrated oregano oil and about 450mg of broccoli seed extract! I've been on high doses of iodine for a couple of days now (10-15 drops 4 times a day) but am now at the full dose that Hulda Clark recommends for salmonella (which equates to 21 drops of Iosol a time)! Of course, I don't know it's salmonella, but iodine is such a powerful and comprehensive antibacterial, a few days on this dose (150mg a day total) really should start to make a dent, if my problem is indeed bacteria/parasites. If not, I'm still on the malic acid and Chanca Piedra for cholesterol and stones. Come on little bugs - die!

Oo and on the plus side I feel pretty much fine on this dose of iodine. My breathing might feel slightly odd but it might be in my head. Thing is as long as it kills all the bugs, I'm happy! If this doesn't work I'll get some SSKI (Potassium Iodide drops) which can be taken at a much higher dose than standard (elemental) iodine! *crosses fingers!*

Thom said:
Not sure, but last year I was wondering if my hair loss was due to low testosterone (turns out it's opposite) and I got my blood tested and the doctor said my only problem was my iron levels were a little low. I didn't know that contributed to hair loss until reading that article so I'm looking into more iron now!

Hm, yeah high T can be bad if not enough is bound to SHBG. If you have a significant amount of body hair and are/were losing hair in the male pattern, then I doubt it's a nutritional deficiency at your age, but who knows! You could always try taking a high quality multivit! My eyes would still be on the liver though, as always! :)

(Also of course bear in mind that the liver also produces SHBG, a lack of which is blamed by some as being THE main or sole reason why some guys lose hair in their teens (I'm unsure if I agree with this or not, but that's an unrelated issue!) )

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've never had much body hair to be honest. Just a small patch on my chest and light blond hair on my legs and arms but I'm not a hairy person. Are very hairy people more prone to going bald? I've never heard that! Yeah it could never hurt to at least help the liver anyway. I'm aiming for overall health in every area this year.

Hoppi

Reaction score
hehe no I don't think hairier people are more prone to going bald! But I think that RELATIVELY speaking, someone may notice an increase in body hair that coincides with their hair loss, probably down to a build-up of androgens due to a toxic liver (IMO).

Oh, for the record... I know now I do in fact have parasites :( I saw them earlier, and while I can't be sure... they were pretty damn obvious lol

I reckon it's all the antiparasitic things I've been having recently - particularly the oregano, pineapple and fibre. They were all dead of course, and I have no idea if they are related to my egg intolerance or male pattern baldness, but I'm starting Humaworm on Monday so I'll soon find out!!!

(I tell you though, I freaked out quite a bit when I saw them!! I actually mouthed to myself loudly "What the f*** is THAT!?" lol)

Let's hope this is all over soon..... >.<

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Haha wow that is creepy! What's scarier is they were big enough for you to visibly see them. Yeah good luck with the humaworm.

I'm a bit unnerved to think of large parasites infecting my body lol