The link between chronic caffeine intake an increased androgenic sensitivity

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
You linked a study on rat prostates. Did the rats also go bald? Don't worry about the caffeine. I'm against consuming it for other reasons, but it won't mess with your hair.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think rat studies mislead. Apparently male rats are hairier than the female ones and this has led to wrong-thinking about estrogen not improving hair and even promoting hair loss. Nope. Anyway, studies where they actually shave rats and then see if various things make the fur grow back faster are relevant and that's where the use of polysorbates started in hair loss. It was an accident though like minoxidil and we don't know why either works although as topicals, they are mostly for maintenance. Then some dude somewhere drank his minoxidil and was like, "wow" but I am not telling anyone. I am puzzled why females have been using low dose oral minoxidil for years and as to why it took Upjohn/males essentially 40 years to figure out that oral minoxidil works far better but sometimes it takes information and studies many years to sink into the public consciousness but I digress.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
They first found minoxidil grew hair when they noticed it as a side effect in people using oral minoxidil. They formulated a topical because it's safer. The FDA would never let them advertise oral minoxidil as a hair loss treatment.
Thanks for that. Even at my age, the minoxidil emergence and testing by Upjohn was before me and the public had far less access to potential treatments and knew little about different ingestion methods and we often still don't.

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2008:

'Caffeine Stimulation of Cortisol Secretion Across the Waking Hours in Relation to Caffeine Intake Levels​

[...]

Conclusion​

Cortisol responses to caffeine are reduced, but not eliminated, in healthy young men and women who consume caffeine on a daily basis.'

2013:

'Coffee may help perk up your blood vessels​

[...]

The caffeine in a cup of coffee might help your small blood vessels work better, according to research presented at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2013.

A study of 27 healthy adults showed -- for the first time -- that drinking a cup of caffeinated coffee significantly improved blood flow in a finger, which is a measure of how well the inner lining of the body's smaller blood vessels work. Specifically, participants who drank a cup of caffeinated coffee had a 30 percent increase in blood flow over a 75-minute period compared to those who drank decaffeinated coffee.'

Last edited:

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Caffeine intake drives down iron absorption so that could be a reason for oral hair loss from it.

Results: Increased smoking duration (p < 0.001) and the presence of dandruff (p = 0.028) were significantly associated with increased frontal hair loss

Increased exercise duration (p = 0.002), consumption of more than four alcoholic drinks per week (p = 0.042), and increased money spent on hair loss products (p = 0.050) were all associated with increased temporal hair loss.

Daily hat use (p = 0.050), higher body mass index (p = 0.012), and higher testosterone levels (p = 0.040) were associated with decreased temporal hair loss.

Factors that were significantly associated with increased vertex hair loss included abstinence from alcohol consumption (p = 0.030), consumption of more than four alcoholic drinks per week (p = 0.004), increased smoking duration (p = 0.047), increased exercise duration (p = 0.050), and increased stress duration (p = 0.010). Lower body mass index, more children, increased caffeine consumption, history of skin disease, and abstinence from alcohol were significantly associated with increased hair thinning scores (p < 0.05).

Conclusion: This study offers substantial evidence that exogenous factors may have a clinically significant impact on hair loss.

Restore iron with lactoferrin and not ferrous sulfate. Lactoferrin scavenges excess iron too which it is easy to OD on. Notice in the below study ferrous sulfate increased serum IL-6 and lactoferrin did not.

One of the most well-known characteristics of LF is that it is antibacterial (19, 144148), antiviral (99, 149151), antifungal (152154), anti-inflammatory (26), and anti-carcinogenic (155). Its ability to of limit iron availability to microbes is one of its crucial amicrobial properties. Bacteria have, however, developed various ways to sequester iron (156). Figure 4 shows how bacteria acquire iron through receptor-mediated recognition of transferrin, hemopexin, hemoglobin, or hemoglobin-haptoglobin complexes and also LF (30). As well as binding it directly from the environment, bacterial siderophores can obtain iron by removing it from transferrin, lactoferrin, or ferritin

Enteric coating allows LF release some distance from LF-degrading pepsin activities in the stomach, allowing it to remain intact, in the form capable of binding small intestinal LF receptors for uptake and eventual transfer into the systemic circulation (182). In a rodent study, the “absorption” of enteric-formulated LF was approximately 10-fold higher than that of regular LF introduced into the stomach of experimental animals (128). In view of these investigations, the authors of this paper regard enteric-coated LF as superior to regular LF supplements with respect to bioavailability and potential application for the prevention or therapy for coronaviruses such as the SARS-Cov-2 involved in COVID-19.

Bacteria are warring with us in our guts trying to take our iron.
Although LF has various means to counteract bacteria as part of its immune function (131), it is also capable of being hijacked to benefit the activities of bacteria. Thus, bacteria can also exploit LF by removing its bound ferric iron (19, 30). This process involves (1) synthesis of high-affinity ferric ion chelators by bacteria, (2) iron acquisition through LF or transferrin binding, mediated by bacterial-specific surface bacterial receptors, (3) or iron acquisition through bacterial reductases, which are able to reduce ferric to ferrous ions (19, 144148).

Several Gram-negative pathogens including members of the genera Neisseria and Moraxella have evolved two-component systems that can extract iron from the host LF and transferrin (157). N. meningitidis is a principal cause of bacterial meningitis in children. While the majority of pathogenic bacteria employ siderophores to chelate and scavenge iron

It is fairly well established that male pattern baldness is a low grade systemic disease too which depletes iron even further AKA "anemia of inflammation"

Their research, published in a July 16 report in Nature Communications, found that the genes involved in metabolizing iron in the blood are connected to longer, healthier lives.1

In addition, abnormally high or low levels of blood iron can lead to age-related health conditions, like liver disease, Parkinson’s disease, and a decreased ability to fight off infection.

"It appears that humans become less effective at incorporating iron into red blood cells as we get older," Kalea Wattles, ND, a naturopathic physician and clinical content coordinator at the Institute for Functional Medicine, tells Verywell.

Wattles says that, as a result, more iron is left behind to create something called free radicals.

Conclusions: These findings suggest that OSA may be a risk factor for male pattern baldness in men who have a family history of hair loss and that low serum TSA(serum transferrin saturation) levels associated with hypoxia may be involved in a pathway linking OSA and male pattern baldness.

I will add about erythrocyte sedimentation rate and male pattern baldness later....

Last edited:

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I loose my hair because I dont drink alkohol?
Yes...it apparently is a factor. Moderate alcohol consumption is also associated with longevity so there is something to it.

What % of a factor is it? IDK...10%ish(pure guess) but not the most important one like androgens of course.

"If you're in good shape, moderate drinking makes you 25% to 40% less likely to have a heart attack, stroke, or hardened arteries. This may be in part because small amounts of alcohol can raise your HDL ("good" cholesterol) levels. Heavy drinking, on the other hand, boosts your risk of heart disease."

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
im gonna become a drunk
Not quite that far...but I do know a few who are not cheating themselves of alcohol intake and have NW0 hair lines and in their 50's and zero gray.

Mechanisms Related to Alcohol’s Positive and Adverse Effects on CV Conditions​

Many of the CV conditions outlined above share the pathophysiologic process of atherosclerosis and inflammation. Therefore, alcohol may exert its protective or enhancing effects on these conditions by modifying three broad categories of mechanisms: risk factors (e.g., lipid profiles, carotid intima-medial thickness [cIMT], and insulin sensitivity), hemostatic factors (e.g., fibrinogen levels and platelet reactivity), and inflammation. In addition, and specific to CHD, alcohol consumption may modulate ischemia–reperfusion mechanisms as blood flow is restored to tissues after oxygen deprivation. Several of these potential mechanisms are briefly reviewed below.

BPH is another androgen driven disease and....

Compared to no alcohol intake, an alcohol intake of 36 gm daily or greater was associated with a 35% decreased likelihood of benign prostatic hyperplasia (OR 0.65, 95% CI 0.58 – 0.74, p 0.001). Of the 4 studies that used lower urinary tract symptoms as the primary outcome 3 demonstrated a significantly increased likelihood of lower urinary tract symptoms with alcohol consumption. Conclusions: Alcohol consumption is associated with a decreased likelihood of benign prostatic hyperplasia but not of lower urinary tract symptoms. Further studies are needed to determine the mechanisms by which alcohol modifies the risk of benign prostatic hyperplasia

The metabolic syndrome is associated with systemic inflammation and oxidative stress,29 and histological BPH consistently occurs with inflammation.30 Thus, it is possible that metabolic disturbances promote microvascular disease and inflammation, which in turn contribute to ischemia, oxidative stress and an intraprostatic environment favorable to BPH. It is also possible that alcohol intake may modulate BPH through alterations in sympathetic tone.

How many grams of alcohol in a 12 oz(5%) beer.....14 grams.

Last edited:

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1636503028029.png

I drink four of these every day. Two in the morning and two in the evening