The last resort, critical moment

adanos

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good evening, everybody!

Thank you all for taking your time reading my thread. It means a lot when somebody with a similar problem and bigger knowledge wants to help. I am 27 years old and I have been losing my hair for over 4 years now. For the last year I haven't lost many hair and it seems that the baldness has stopped. My original plan was to lose all the unsteady and weak hair and transplant only the ones which are immune to alopecia. That's why I haven't used any medication, dermaroller, sprays, special shampoos and so on since the beginning of hair shedding. Now with so many bald spots I finally contacted some clinics to ask for a hair transplant. All of them wrote back that my donor area is too weak and sparse and this moment to perform a satisfactory HP. My initial plan backfired. Instead of not using any medications and waiting for weak hair to fall away I should have used finasteride, minoxidil or dutasteryde all along to stop further baldness. Too late now...

In all the replies I was advised to use 1mg finasteride for a year to see what outcome it will bring. I understand that it is necessary for a HP and I am not against using it if an actual HP was to be performed. However what I am against is to use all the chemistry for a year and live with the thoughts of getting back my hair just to be informed after 12 months that unfortunately there hasn't been much improvement in strengthening my hair and the HP would not be possible. In order to avoid such a situation I would like ask for Yours opinion concerning my hair. Do you think that after 12 months of using 1 mg finasteride I might be accepted for a hair transplant? I would like to ask for a honest opinion and have no illusion in the future. I believe ,that this is my last resort, critical moment. Either I fight for the hair or give up. I just don't want to fight for a cause doomed in the first place. Also, since my donor area is sparse and insufficient is it possible to perform a HP from my beard? I heard it's best suited for the crown but again the beard isn't too dense...

Futhermore, if I was hypothetically accepted for a HP and covered all the white spots. How long does a man have to use finasteride/minoxidil or any other medication in order to support the transplanted hair on head? One year, five years, until the rest of the life? That's a very good questions and I didn't come across it in the Internet yet.

To all of You big a THANK YOU for replying on all my questions!

Attachments

• 20210609_211237.jpg
    20210609_211237.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 186489858_239161931301270_1005848115066718425_n.jpg
    186489858_239161931301270_1005848115066718425_n.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 186513791_984344489037486_5211460486632644298_n.jpg
    186513791_984344489037486_5211460486632644298_n.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 186540404_535390421203228_805929666027483222_n.jpg
    186540404_535390421203228_805929666027483222_n.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 186549914_322072576101475_7824403682897131415_n.jpg
    186549914_322072576101475_7824403682897131415_n.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 186556624_186642653331507_7371633502005205410_n.jpg
    186556624_186642653331507_7371633502005205410_n.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 187082743_221967319385392_6575232751250034596_n.jpg
    187082743_221967319385392_6575232751250034596_n.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 187494276_800759337541056_5705348926267944891_n.jpg
    187494276_800759337541056_5705348926267944891_n.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 232

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
To answer your question about finasteride. Optimal results are at 1-2 year mark. Usually 2 years.

But here is the brutal honesty here. You have what is called diffused retrograde alopecia. It isn't very common but basically your donor hair is very weak and a transplant may not be a good option for you. Even if finasteride thickens the donor region and regrow some of the thinning areas, you will need at possibly 4000 grafts to fix this and most of these grafts are going to depend on finasteride. The bad news is if finasterides efficacy wears off, which it probably will if you had this much hair loss in 4 years, then your transplant may not last very long and you just threw 15k to delay the inevitable.

There is a reason these surgeons rejected You and I think you made a big mistake not jumping on finasteride to begin with. Real sorry to inform you this...

adanos

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the answer!

I really wanted to hear an honest opinion no matter how harsh. That's probably for the best. Paradoxically I feel actually better now. No illusion, no pipe dreams about hair. Only a slow road to acceptance. Thank you, truly.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
OP your plan wasn't a bad one but I have a question. If you noticed your donor thinning earlier, why did you not get on finasteride then?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I still see some regions in the back that could be used. Here is your best bet though.

I would maximize what I could with FUE with only expert surgeons, and then get sparse SMP to fill in the regions around the FUE grafts.

Your ultimate goal should be to look like you are balding, which FUE and SMP with an expert surgeon could work. To me, this is better than being slick bald, and is what I would do if I was in your shoes, because at least then I could have "some" hairline.

Do not, however, get very dense SMP. That will not look natural. And also do not get a very straight hairline. You should be ok with like a Norwood 3 or even Norwood 3.5 hairline, because again, to me this is much better than being a slick bald Norwood 7 which is ultimately what it seems you are going toward.

You could make large improvements with both finasteride and minoxidil, so if I were you I would give it a try before doing anything else.

Yes, you have to commit to using them, just like the rest of us pathetic sufferers on this site. However, it is a tradeoff we must live with if we want hair. Does it suck? Yes. But life could be worse in the grand scheme of things, popping a pill once a day and applying minoxidil is no different than brushing your teeth in many respects.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I still see some regions in the back that could be used. Here is your best bet though.

I would maximize what I could with FUE with only expert surgeons, and then get sparse SMP to fill in the regions around the FUE grafts.

Your ultimate goal should be to look like you are balding, which FUE and SMP with an expert surgeon could work. To me, this is better than being slick bald, and is what I would do if I was in your shoes, because at least then I could have "some" hairline.

Do not, however, get very dense SMP. That will not look natural. And also do not get a very straight hairline. You should be ok with like a Norwood 3 or even Norwood 3.5 hairline, because again, to me this is much better than being a slick bald Norwood 7 which is ultimately what it seems you are going toward.

You could make large improvements with both finasteride and minoxidil, so if I were you I would give it a try before doing anything else.

Yes, you have to commit to using them, just like the rest of us pathetic sufferers on this site. However, it is a tradeoff we must live with if we want hair. Does it suck? Yes. But life could be worse in the grand scheme of things, popping a pill once a day and applying minoxidil is no different than brushing your teeth in many respects.
I mean I suppose it is possible to save his hair but it would be a major commitment. More importantly if finasteride loses efficacy, which it does as you get older, he could have a very strange looking scalp of thin hair and smp.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I mean I suppose it is possible to save his hair but it would be a major commitment. More importantly if finasteride loses efficacy, which it does as you get older, he could have a very strange looking scalp of thin hair and smp.

Finasteride can lose efficiency but it also may not, if you look at the studies it is all individual.

However, if his hair loss bothered him enough that the wanted to try something, I think it would be worth it to give it a shot.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride can lose efficiency but it also may not, if you look at the studies it is all individual.

However, if his hair loss bothered him enough that the wanted to try something, I think it would be worth it to give it a shot.
Sure, I'm just giving out the risks.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's over my man, sorry. It's DUPA, you also have thinning on sides. I have this exact same pattern, except it's in a very early stage. I'll try to save it but I know it won't last long. My grandfather had the exact the same pattern, with the island at the front, but his sides and back were thick as f***. God knows why mine is DUPA.

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hello there,

i just readed an interesting post Propecia and 5AR1 | HairLossTalk Forums toward finasteride, as we know fina block only type 2 of the 5ar enzyme. However type 1 5ar is present on the skin/ scalp and hair. Then i think it is possible that the increase of T that fina causes when it block 5ar2 might increase the activity of the 5ar type 1 which is present in your hair an skin, that's could explain why fina did't have any effect on dupa hairloss and maybe caused also an increase of acne for some of us. Maybe us duppa sufferer can be fucked up equally by 5ar1 and 5ar2

Thats why i am asking if any dupa sufferer out there tried dutasteride or topical dutasteride sell by minoxidil max. Dutasteride seems to block type 1 and 2 of 5ar.

I found one post who claim to have stopped his hairloss with duta :
Was dutasteride the right call for someone with DUPA? | HairLossTalk Forums

any thought so far ?

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's over my man, sorry. It's DUPA, you also have thinning on sides. I have this exact same pattern, except it's in a very early stage. I'll try to save it but I know it won't last long. My grandfather had the exact the same pattern, with the island at the front, but his sides and back were thick as f***. God knows why mine is DUPA.
Why not start treatment then?

hello there,

i just readed an interesting post Propecia and 5AR1 | HairLossTalk Forums toward finasteride, as we know fina block only type 2 of the 5ar enzyme. However type 1 5ar is present on the skin/ scalp and hair. Then i think it is possible that the increase of T that fina causes when it block 5ar2 might increase the activity of the 5ar type 1 which is present in your hair an skin, that's could explain why fina did't have any effect on dupa hairloss and maybe caused also an increase of acne for some of us. Maybe us duppa sufferer can be fucked up equally by 5ar1 and 5ar2

Thats why i am asking if any dupa sufferer out there tried dutasteride or topical dutasteride sell by minoxidil max. Dutasteride seems to block type 1 and 2 of 5ar.

I found one post who claim to have stopped his hairloss with duta :
Was dutasteride the right call for someone with DUPA? | HairLossTalk Forums

any thought so far ?
Type 1 and 2 is in the scalp. Most people only need to inhibit type 2 since they are not as sensitive to dht.

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
actually i would like to know if any dupa dude tried dutasteride or duta topical for himself .
For info i started this week with 1ml 0.1% topical duta from minoxidilmax once per week. will keep in touch if there is some improvement.

adanos

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yes, you have to commit to using them, just like the rest of us pathetic sufferers on this site. However, it is a tradeoff we must live with if we want hair. Does it suck? Yes. But life could be worse in the grand scheme of things, popping a pill once a day and applying minoxidil is no different than brushing your teeth in many respecD

Do you know some expert surgeons who could take up my case? I didn't use finasteride before on my thinning donor area because I grew my hair just for the pictues. Normally I just shave my head so I didn't notice any thinning on sides or the back. Futhermore, I always thought that hair on sides and back are immune to thinning.

Also, do you know if people complain about side effects of using finasteride and minoxidil? That's the main reason I stayed clear of the medications because I am freaked out when it comes to pills and applying some stuff on my head. FUE and SMP sounds interesting. Thank you, I didn't think about before. In the wort scenario I will just make a SMP for the whole scalp once I have lost all unsteady hair.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
@adanos yes there are expert surgeons who could take on your case, for instance Dr. Lorenzo in Spain, perhaps Hasson and Wong in Vancouver, Eugenix in India.

They will probably not accept you as a candidate though if you do not show improvement/stabilization on medication.

Yes, some people do have side effects, the large majority do not. However, it all depends how much hair matters to you, if you are willing to take a chance.

Do not do SMP over your whole head. It will not look natural and you will regret it.

Nghtly

My Regimen
Reaction score
but anyone tried dutasteride for dupa out there ?
I saw that you did a bloodwork For DUPA how did the blood work turn out? Did you find any solution? I think i have DUPA aswell i have hairloss all over my scalp I tried finasteride but my hair loss whent from 200 hairs a day too 500 I had Reflex HyperAndrogencity My skin whas oily my libidio whas high and my scalp whas burning

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Diffuse hairloss responds better to oral topical Melatonin than it does to finasteride or Min.

I suspect that Androgenetic Alopecia with diffuse hairloss is a different beast to standard Androgenetic Alopecia.

Androgenetic Alopecia + diffuse under-responds to anti-androgens, but it seems to have a higher efficacy rate with anti-oxidant compounds such as topical Melatonin, responding almost as well as FMPB.

Read below an anecdotal experience plus clinical study

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the answer!

I really wanted to hear an honest opinion no matter how harsh. That's probably for the best. Paradoxically I feel actually better now. No illusion, no pipe dreams about hair. Only a slow road to acceptance. Thank you, truly.

I think the donor is okay but you would need to manage expectations.

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
actually i would like to know if any dupa dude tried dutasteride or duta topical for himself .
For info i started this week with 1ml 0.1% topical duta from minoxidilmax once per week. will keep in touch if there is some improvement.
How is ur hair now?