The laser comb is a joke

michael barry

Reaction score
This is a good post from another site that was an answer to a shill trying to sell this hunk of junk, that supposedly has "been in FDA studies" for about 4 years now, whose company somehow duped a few news organizations that it was some "amazing discovery". The shill cited some ridiculous tests that were performed on the laser comb that proved that "it regrew some hair". Thing is, it regrew MUCH LESS than minoxidil or finasteride.....................

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/La ... eport1.pdf This "study" only took place for SIX MONTHS. Therein lies the rub. One year (and really 18 months) are the amounts of time to measure efficacy of alopecia indications. The study only measured a ONE CENTIMETER patch of scalp and the average increase of hairs in that study per sqare centimeter was 12 whole hairs (wow). One inch is 2.54 centimeters. The studies I cite below are of one square inch areas. So if we multipy those 12 hair increases by 2.54 you get between 31 and 32 extra hairs per square inch. You will see this is much less than what the other two treatments provided per square inch.

For instance, we NOW know that propecia sees big increases in hair counts for the first TWO YEARS. The greatest increase over haircount with propecia is at the TWO YEAR MARK. Then haircounts start to fall slightly each year thereafter. At the end of five years men had on average a 277 higher hair count on propecia than on placebo on a one-inch patch of scalp at the top of the head. 65% of men studied either maintained haircount or had more hair at year five on propecia. All placebo users lost hair. This info is provided by the INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF HAIR RESTORATION SURGEONS here http://www.ishrs.org/articles/hair-loss-finasteride.htm. and included 1,553 men.

Minoxidil's performance over 5 years is here http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/mi ... esults.pdf. In it you will see that the biggest increase with minoxidil is at year one with a 273 haircount increase over baseline, and then a decrease in the haircount. However, even at YEAR FIVE, there is a 211 per square inch hair increase over baseline at year one. Minoxidil at YEAR FIVE still gives a guy 211 more hairs than we started using it. This study only used 2 and 3% minoxidil. Not 5% that you can buy over the counter. The study recommends a twice a day application because subjects who used it twice a day in the study had more success than those who used it only once. The study had 126 men.

So lets review shall we. You get 277 more hairs per square inch at year 5 with propecia if youre the average of over 1500 people studied. You get 211 more hairs per square inch at year 5 with minoxidil if youre the average responder of 126 people studied. But with the "amazing" laser comb you get on average 32 more hairs per square inch at 6 months, and proboably less than that over five years, if youre the average responder of a PITIFUL LITTLE STUDY THAT ONLY USED 35 men and 7 women for a whopping total of 42 test subjects!!!!!!!
Id also like to add that this "study" was conducted by a one John Satino and Michael Markou, D.O. What does "DO" mean???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????well, if you scroll down to the end of the articl you will see that John Satino is the "clinical DIRECTOR and laser safety OFFICER" at "The Laser Hair and Scalp Clinic" in Clearwater, Florida. Clearwater is close to Boca Raton, birthplace of the Hairclub Scam by the way.
BUT WHAT INTERESTS ME IS THE """"D.O""""" bullsh3t. THEY ARE NOT EVEN DOCTORS PERFORMING THE "study" of 35 men. They arent Ph.d's. at all. They are performing a "study" on a device they sell THEMSELVES GOSHDAMMIT. How can you fall for this?

By the way, copper peptides, in a FDA phase 2 study, outperformed minoxidil, and proanthocyandrins do about as well. Proanthocyandrins are in apple juice and apple cider vinegar and grape seed extract. I literally believe that soaking your damned head in apple juice might be better than a silly laser light device that might, according to hairbiologist and cloning researcher Dr. Kevin J. McElwee, do long term damage to your follicle DNA if used for years.

Felk

Reaction score
michael barry said:
By the way, copper peptides, in a FDA phase 2 study, outperformed minoxidil, and proanthocyandrins do about as well. Proanthocyandrins are in apple juice and apple cider vinegar and grape seed extract. I literally believe that soaking your damned head in apple juice might be better than a silly laser light device that might, according to hairbiologist and cloning researcher Dr. Kevin J. McElwee, do long term damage to your follicle DNA if used for years.

Hmm that was tricomin wasn't it? I have some problems with that though.

For one thing, why on earth did they stop the trial if it outperformed minoxidil?
Another - the concentration in tricomin today is much weaker than in those trials, though no one knows exactly how much. Why did they dilute the product?!?

Also, shedmaster posted a site which claims folligen is 33x stronger in copper peptide concentration than tricomin, however i thought no one knew for sure the concentrations of cps in tricomin?

Lastly, the five year finasteride trials show on average that hair counts are only 40 hairs more than baseline at year 5, yet your study claims much more. Your link didn't work for me, so i couldnt check it out - is it another long term finasteride trial?

michael barry

Reaction score
Felk asked: "for one thing, why on earth did they stop the trial if it outperformed minoxidil?
Another - the concentration in tricomin today is much weaker than in those trials, though no one knows exactly how much. Why did they dilute the product?"

Graftcyte, the company that makes tricomin, probably yanked it because they knew the positive buzz that would be elicited from the Phase 2 results would move (sell) product quite well WITHOUT having to pay for the very expensive phase 3 trials. (For those of you in Rio Linda, there are 3 phases to FDA trials, I,II, III and then a 10-12 month review process by the brass. Phase 3 involve lots of subjects and are very intense. They are the "expensive set" of trials). Dr. Loren Pickart, the inventor of the peptide product that is Tricomin (on which American Crew copper peptides are based) also invented Folligen, which is a bunch of random copper peptides when you dissolve cupric chloride in soy protein. Folligen is quite concentrated, but who is to say if these random peptides are as good as the lysine, alanine, hysitidl peptide complex in tricomin.

"Why did they dilute the product?" wish I knew, maybe they want ya' to have to apply twice a day, or at least every day to sell more. Sucks that they did though. In my opinion, if you dilute a substance that was tested, you should not be able to claim its FDA test results when you sell it and its dishonest to do so.

Felk also wrote : "Also, shedmaster posted a site which claims folligen is 33x stronger in copper peptide concentration than tricomin, however i thought no one knew for sure the concentrations of cps in tricomin"

I'd have to look it up to be for certain, but I think Tricomin has 9% peptides vs. 33% for Folligen. Thats not necessarily 9% in the bottle, but it was a measure of concentration in some form or another. It was on Pickart's site, and its been a while since I read that. Folligen will sting you scalp literally, its so concentrated, and I believe Pickart has said that many users seem to indicate more success when they use Folligen every other day. Its blue-green in color its so concentrated as a matter of fact (I have a bottle of it). Again though, the lysine, alanine, hystidil copper complex in tricomin has been tested by the FDA and a South Korean dermatological study that I posted on here a while back. The RANDOM peptides that result when one mixes copper and soy protiens havent been tested by a third party to my knowledge, but the inventor of both, Pickart, states that Folligen performs better on his lab animals (but he has a financial interest in saying this).

Felk wrote: "Lastly, the five year finasteride trials show on average that hair counts are only 40 hairs more than baseline at year 5, yet your study claims much more. Your link didn't work for me, so i couldnt check it out - is it another long term finasteride trial? "

My study was haircounts over placebo (men who got nothing), not baseline (what they had five years before). That haircount in the study I cited (which is here at hairlosstalk's library) count over placebo is actually about the same. I wish there was 10 year finasteride data available. I dont think Merk is interested in tracking it that long for the obvious reason that haircounts will continue to slowly decline. Finasteride alone "slows the inevitable" a great deal. It does not stop ALL DHT. Hairloss-research.org does not even include Propecia in its recommended protocol for men over 45. The do, however recommend Dr. Proctors Prox-N and Folligen and emu oil and some herbal prostate remedies, and soy isoflavones, and green tea extract and nizoral and NANO right off the top of my head.

However, the reason I started the thread was to illustrate the extremely flimsy 6 month study that deceptively measured hair increases over a simple square centimeter (very small) as opposed to a square inch and to also show how finasteride and minoxidil grew much more hairs if you extrapolate the centimeter figures and multiply them to an area equal to a square inch. The "study" was also administered by the folks WHO SELL THE DAMNED COMB. Lots of hair scams like the laser comb and HairClub (and outrageously overexpensive wig provider who calls their products "hair systems" instead of "wigs" to get you to schedule a consultation where they give "you" the hard-sell) seem to be located in Boca Raton or Ft. Lauderdale Florida. This seems to be a little bees nest of hair scams. Probably run by the same scum.

Whats "dangerous" about the comb to me is something that Stephen Foote mentioned, and Dr. Kevin McElwee (who's researching cloning right now I think) is that long term use of lasers really might damage the stem cells in the philosebaceous unit. Much better would it be to use minoxidil, copper peptides, proanthocyanidins (that you can make yourself out of green apples, alchohol, and a couple of herbs-----reicipe on hairsite) as a growth stimulant in your regimine than a device that might do harm over the years. Even electromagnetic therapy had one little pubmed study backing it up (used with the essential oils, which may have been the efficious part of the routine) to grow a "little-not much" hair. I think the laser comb is a great scam. They get their money up front, so you cant "take it back" after a good couple of years of use when youre inevitably dissatisfied with the meager results. I have no idea how Lexington International (paid off?) a few journalists to get the thing in Time Magazine, and on a few news stations local outlets (one Fox and one ABC, I think). They claimed they were being tested by the FDA, but didnt tell you it was as "a cosmetic". Anyway, the tests would definitely be over by now. Havent seen any press releases about the "amazing laser comb" lately have you? Guess it tested out pretty lousy compared with minoxidil and finasteride. It suckered many guys out of 600 bucks though.......somebody's rich and laughing at the "baldies" because of it.

plat

Reaction score
michael barry said:
I literally believe that soaking your damned head in apple juice might be better than a silly laser light device that might, according to hairbiologist and cloning researcher Dr. Kevin J. McElwee, do long term damage to your follicle DNA if used for years.

Could you, please, give us a reference site of the above might do claim?

Felk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Michael - sorry for misreading your information about propecia concerning baseline/placebo.

However Bryan said the most reputable source we have to go on says tricomin's concentration is around 2% as its somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 (if memory serves). Then someone at hairloss help apparently "established" it was only .01%. Anyway ill dig up the thread "Anyone interested in copper peptide technology" if i remember correctly. 9% seems an awful lot.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Although I too think the lasercomb is a crock of sh*t, I have a bone to pick with youre methodology. Hairs per square inch should not be used as the only measure of a treatments' effectiveness. If I thickened each hair of mine, it is quite conceivable that by each follicle taking up more space, there would be less hairs per square inch, but an obviously improved cosmetic appearence.

powersam

Reaction score
moreover the assumption that the haircounts would decrease when approaching 5 years also has no basis in fact.

"You get 277 more hairs per square inch at year 5 with propecia if youre the average of over 1500 people studied. You get 211 more hairs per square inch at year 5 with minoxidil if youre the average responder of 126 people studied. But with the "amazing" laser comb you get on average 32 more hairs per square inch at 6 months, and proboably less than that over five years, if youre the average responder of a PITIFUL LITTLE STUDY THAT ONLY USED 35 men and 7 women for a whopping total of 42 test subjects!!!!!!! "

for a comparison one would have to look at propecia and minoxidil results at the 6 month mark. not an ideal comparision but the best available with the information available. comparing results at 6 months to results at 5 months is misleading at best.

michael barry

Reaction score
PowerSam,

Propecia's results at the six month mark are more impressive than the five year mark. Minoxidil is more impressive at the one year mark than the five year mark also.

The laser comb hasn't bragged about any FDA approval for a reason. Thats because it obviously didnt impress the FDA. But its a scam in a more fundamental way because it might actually be harmful longterm.

If you respect Bryan's opinion on matters hair (and you should), ask him what he thinks about this device sometime. I know Stephen thinks its bad news.

Lexington International, the company that makes the damned thing, is trying to sell it for 395 bucks now. Down from the intitial 600+ dollars of a few years back. News about it being a joke has obviously made the rounds. They are embarking on another ad cycle in USA Today. I hate to see young men get shafted by scams. Hairloss is difficult enough for young men. They dont deserve to get screwed.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/Study7.pdf > you can look at that minoxidil study guys and see that haircounts over a 2.5 cm area were up from approximately 120 hairs to around 340 at the 12 month mark on 3% minoxidil. At six months, they were at 240. MUCH MORE than that comb.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/propecia.pdf 6 month haircounts were about 70 over baseline and 90 over placebo if you find the graph in that propecia study.

michael barry

Reaction score
Dr. Kevin J. McElwee, hairloss-researcher, and moderator of Keratin.com, researching cloning at the present time wrote as a response to a query on the laser comb a while back:::::::::::::;

Absolutely no idea. You would have to talk to the manufacturer of these laser combs who presumably has looked at what happens histologically (that is with skin biopsies) and what the long term consequences of use may be.

If it works as I suggest and the laser causes a mild injury that stimulates hair follicle growth, then it could be that over time and with repeated use it might cause scar tissue formation that may limit hair follicle activity. I have no evidence as to how these laser combs are supposed to work so I really don't know.

When challenged on the matter by "anonymous", who could have been a shill for this device (back in 2002), Kevin had this to say:

Author: admin Site Admin
Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:54 am

If it doen't penetrate the skin layers deep enough to cause scarring how does it penetrate deep enough to promote hair growth? It must do something excitatory to the hair follicle cells- either the germinative epithelium matrix or the dermal papilla, both of which are pretty deep in the skin.

There may be no heat directly from the laser, but that doesn't mean that the wavelength used doesn't adversely excite the cells and promote apoptosis (cell death). Experimentally, laser has been used to destroy inflammatory cells in skin - it seems the cells resonate at a certain wavelength and they "implode". The problem is that the promoters of these lasers for hair growth are unable to explain how the laser might work and there doesn't seem to be much published research to show what might be going on in the skin and hair follicles. So I don't know how the laser may work - but tissue damage is one potential mechanism. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I'll stick with that view.

You can read that little exchange here http://www.keratin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11244 Beware, its an old thread from 4 years ago, when the laser comb was relatively new news. Its widely regarded as sh*t now.

jay2K6

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this product is crap just like "WhiteLight Tooth Whitening System"
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/wh ... ystem.html
where people are fooled and believe the light whitens teeth. The light makes the crap look fancy and people actually go and buy... its the gel that actually does the work. Anyway try combing your hair for about 10-15 minutes everyday that will improve blood circulation in your scalp which might* help to thicken you hair. Thats the trick folks!

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing of all I feel is the fact that having made the effort to contact the FDA several times all they could tell me was that they couldnt discuss wether or not Hairmax have actually submitted any clinical trial data to them or if it is even undergoing any application for FDA approval despite the fact the company themselves openly promote the fact that they have submitted data to the FDA and that its soon going to be approved.

This "soon to be FDA approved" marketing strategy has been going on for years now - on their forum they actually said they were expecting a response from the FDA in 90 days - well 90 days passed and guess what - not a single worthwhile piece of feedback from Hairmax except some bland statement to say the FDA were still reviewing evidence and that you would need to wait longer blah blah but its gonna happen blah blah so buy one today.....

Any company that makes a claim like this without a simple and transparent description of its progress is , in my opinion, obviously selling something that doesnt work.

michael barry

Reaction score
The Swami,

D.O. could mean Director of Operations or some other such scammish title for this guy. There study was meant to be dishonest. I wouldn't trust that a chiropracter necessarily started this company. Scammers are professional liars and there is nothing they wont do to turn a buck..

Examples,............regenix (5 THOUSAND dollars)
curetage
avacor (minoxidil)
Kevis............huge joke
hair geneisis (minoxidil)
Crinagen (doesnt work, I tried it)
procerin
hair club's ext (they are a rip off,,,,,check hairlcubsucks.com)
Jay Bain's Indian hairloss system (ha)
NuHair
MoreHair
Nioxin
HairAgain
Hairmaxlaser comb
New Generation (polysorbate 80)
Provillus
Shen-Mein Chinese system

There are many others out there on piss-ant web sites with no proof pics or studies. The laser comb was a well-thought out scam though. I give it that. Got your money up front, 20 week-money back guarantee.......before you'd expect results good or bad and while the placebo effect (youre expectin' better hair) is FULLY in effect. Duped some journalist in Time Magazine, borrowed enough money to advertise in USA Today (who is not liable), duped a couple of network TV affiates locally so they could say "as seen on FoxNews and NBC news, etc.)

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
The Swami,
D.O. could mean Director of Operations or some other such scammish title for this guy.

Yeah, who knows... it is surely scammish though, I'll give you that. There is no doubt that certain light (or radiation) frequencies can influence skin (and perhaps hair) but this whole thing is still far from being well understood and hence isn't safe (i.e. you could kill your follicles or something). Example: ultraviolet light treatments for psoriasis seem to do something, but it isn't well understood.

michael barry said:
20 week-money back guarantee.......

That's the really money maker, IMO. Studies show that MANY people fall for the "money back guarantee" trap. It's not that they won't necessarily give you back your cash, but rather less than 1% of people return products for refund. Just by emphasizing the money back guarantee they probably get 5-10% (just a guess) better sales, with very few people ever returning the product. It's actually a great way to sell any product, scam or not :lol:

maxpower

Reaction score
michael barry said:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/LasercombReport1.pdf This "study" only took place for SIX MONTHS. Therein lies the rub. One year (and really 18 months) are the amounts of time to measure efficacy of alopecia indications. The study only measured a ONE CENTIMETER patch of scalp and the average increase of hairs in that study per sqare centimeter was 12 whole hairs (wow). One inch is 2.54 centimeters. The studies I cite below are of one square inch areas. So if we multipy those 12 hair increases by 2.54 you get between 31 and 32 extra hairs per square inch. You will see this is much less than what the other two treatments provided per square inch.

For instance, we NOW know that propecia sees big increases in hair counts for the first TWO YEARS. The greatest increase over haircount with propecia is at the TWO YEAR MARK. Then haircounts start to fall slightly each year thereafter. At the end of five years men had on average a 277 higher hair count on propecia than on placebo on a one-inch patch of scalp at the top of the head. 65% of men studied either maintained haircount or had more hair at year five on propecia. All placebo users lost hair. This info is provided by the INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF HAIR RESTORATION SURGEONS here http://www.ishrs.org/articles/hair-loss-finasteride.htm. and included 1,553 men.

Minoxidil's performance over 5 years is here http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/mi ... esults.pdf. In it you will see that the biggest increase with minoxidil is at year one with a 273 haircount increase over baseline, and then a decrease in the haircount. However, even at YEAR FIVE, there is a 211 per square inch hair increase over baseline at year one. Minoxidil at YEAR FIVE still gives a guy 211 more hairs than we started using it. This study only used 2 and 3% minoxidil. Not 5% that you can buy over the counter. The study recommends a twice a day application because subjects who used it twice a day in the study had more success than those who used it only once. The study had 126 men.

So lets review shall we. You get 277 more hairs per square inch at year 5 with propecia if youre the average of over 1500 people studied. You get 211 more hairs per square inch at year 5 with minoxidil if youre the average responder of 126 people studied. But with the "amazing" laser comb you get on average 32 more hairs per square inch at 6 months, and proboably less than that over five years, if youre the average responder of a PITIFUL LITTLE STUDY THAT ONLY USED 35 men and 7 women for a whopping total of 42 test subjects!!!!!!!

I am skeptical about the laser comb, but I think you made some mistakes.

If 1 inch = 2.54 cm, then you have to multiply the given 12 per sq cm amount by 2.54 squared, so you end up with about 78 hairs per square inch, NOT the 32 you mention. 32 would be for a 1cm by 1 inch rectangle.

Also, I thought lexington said that the results improve more as you continue to use it to the 1 year mark, so if they did a 1-year study, the numbers might even be higher.

Your post sounds like it would come from someone selling propecia prescriptions or minoxidil. Even if the comb doesn't grow hair as well as those 2 options, the fact that they showed increases without any side effects (assuming this study is unbiased), would be reason enough for me to think the comb is worth the investment. However, I am still not convinced the comb won't possibly leave your hair worse off after using it. Different people might react differently.

powersam

Reaction score
but why would it not possibly work? lasers are used successfully for various skin treatments throughout the world, and healthier skin means healthier hair. i'm all for critical thought but you dont want to dismiss things off hand.

Headache

Reaction score
Lasercomb

I used it for 2 years without taking breaks. Since then, I went down to 2 days a week, to 1 day a week, to finally not using it. I always wondered if it was actually bad for the hair or scalp, but my general belief is that it didn't make a difference.

I think the Lasercomb is like an expensive thickening shampoo. It clearly does plump up your hair, but only for a couple of days. I don't think it re-grows hair or keeps you from thinning even more.

I remember when I 1st started using it I thought: "Give it a couple of years and we should know more from the FDA." That was almost 5 years ago. I think the answer is pretty obvious.

CCS

Reaction score
It was a circular inch, not a square inch, so 60, not 78. Of course it is easy for them to say, "and it will keep on getting better". If so, why not continue the phaseII trial for a year? There is no way it can work on the roots because all the hair shafts are in the way. It probably frizzes your hair to make it thicker.

Would you please tell me more about that apple juice stuff and how i can put it in my hair without having bacterial break down the sugar? Any links?