the infamous 11 month shed...

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
im only a few pills away from the 11th month mark....and i jumped in the shower today (hadnt showered from about 5pm sunday until 2 tuesday thanks to memorial day), and sweet mother of crap....ive never lost hair like this before. i probably lost at least 100 hairs between showering and combing. could it be because my head was greasy, and maybe all the hairs from the past 40+ hours stayed there? i dont know what it was, but all i know is that ive noticed a lot of people say they get HUGE sheds around the 11th month mark, then i never see them post again. can anyone make me feel better and say that it happened but they recovered?? :freaked:

souldoctor

Reaction score
Yeah I had a big shed around then (see my thread a few posts down in ths section); basically nothing too bad happened, I was pretty scared but then it thickened back up again and was cool for a few weeks but now it's started shedding again! Thing is with my hair, this has CONSTANTLY been happening - ie shedding all the time, then suddenly it seems like there's regrowth and thickening which only lasts a few weeks, and then back to the sheds?! So even though I'm shedding again a bit now in the last few days, I'm pretty used to it, I've stopped fearing big sheds, because I've honestly had so many and none of them have ever made a permanent massive difference. Been on propecia a year, no massive improvement but no disaster either. Still hoping for a big improvement some time soon though!

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
I had tons of shedding around months 10 and 11. I really freaked out. It was fine. I'm approaching my six-year mark on finasteride and I've pretty much maintained. I know it's hard to keep going when you're still shedding heavily an entire year into treatment. But you've made it this far, so just try to stick it out. That's my advice at least. Good luck!

Here's my recent post on my six years on finasteride:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... highlight=

Aplunk1

Reaction score
My shedding was worst around the 8-11 months of Propecia that I used... Absolutely the worst I had ever seen my hair.

I wish I would have stuck with the Propecia in spite of the shedding, but I didn't.

Dutasteride is treating me very well, however, with no side effects.

Just a little info for the newbs.

Kojak85

Reaction score
hey man!

I'm so happy I found this post. Yesterday i took a shower and i lost hair like crazy! I was so angry and frustrated that I had to count them all... and I found about 120 hairs!

120!
I just got mad, not sad, just really mad...
well there is some comfort in knowing that this isnt unheard of

But no matter what I'm going to give finasteride the full year, at least. If my hair still looks like crap I'll add som minoxidil once a day I think, I mean, 2 times a day is a real pain the A**! specially since I'm out with friends most of the time.

anyway you lost 100 hairs?
I lost 120! I'm in the lead baby ;)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Give finasteride AT LEAST, if not more, than an entire year.

Many posters on this forum claim to ONLY see results after 12 months aned so on.

Some of us are slower responderes than others.

The shedding should hopefully subside.

I'm a bit scared of the dutasteride shedding I'm having now, but will continue to use it past 12 or more months.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
Kojak85 said:
hey man!

I'm so happy I found this post. Yesterday i took a shower and i lost hair like crazy! I was so angry and frustrated that I had to count them all... and I found about 120 hairs!

120!
I just got mad, not sad, just really mad...
well there is some comfort in knowing that this isnt unheard of

But no matter what I'm going to give finasteride the full year, at least. If my hair still looks like crap I'll add som minoxidil once a day I think, I mean, 2 times a day is a real pain the A**! specially since I'm out with friends most of the time.

anyway you lost 100 hairs?
I lost 120! I'm in the lead baby ;)

i tell ya what...i lost more today too....but for some reason, my hair looks better. maybe its because i havent washed it much lately since ive been at home studying for the CPA exam....whatever it is, im not freaking out about it as much as i thought i would....YET. :)

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
for the people that have gone through this shed....

how long does it last? im about at my wits end....buzzing my head seems more like an option at this point....at least then i could start minoxidil if i wanted to...