The Impact Of male pattern baldness On My Young (23 Y) Life

johnqy

Reaction score
Hi, this is going to be a long post as i will write about this thing that is ruining my life. When i look back i can see that i started balding around 19 years old but didn't really notice it until 21-22. I am currently norwood 2 with diffuse thinning all over the scalp, it looks bad and i can't really style my hair cause it's going to look cringe. I've been using minoxidil for a year and a half, and while it really showed nice results after about a half a year in, things have started to go south last couple of months. And i can't and won't use finasteride. I don't want something that can affect my erection and i am on college so i have to pay a certain amount of money for minoxidil and if i had to pay finasteride aswell i might have to be homeless.

Now about the impact, it's terrifying, i could write a book about it, how much it affects me. First, i think about it every time i look in the mirror, i don't even look at other parts of my face, i just look at my hair and think how bad it looks and how unlucky i am. I look around and see guys my age have such a thick and nice hair they can style and make it look awesome, while mine looks like i borrowed it from a 50 year old guy. That's also one of the problems, i've started checking out men, not really men as a whole, but their hair and when i see an old guy with hair better than mine it makes me even more sad, i am so insecure because of it, i have a complex about my hair.

It changed my life in a way a person without male pattern baldness just can't understand and comprehend, i talked with my mother and a couple of my friends about it and they just don't understand why is that such a big deal and the argument is always there are actors and stars who are bald and they look good, smh. It makes me angry that i suffer from this crap at my age, at 23, my early 20s, age where i am supposed to be at my physical peak, where people style their hair whichever way they want because they are young and everything is fine.

I didn't believe in God but i started because of bad things that have recently happened in my life. I was always happy about my looks, i loved to style my hair, especially comb it to the side, because i have a pretty face that is kind of childish but cute, imagine that without hair, i can't even think about it without sweating. And that's not everything. I always loved sports, that's my passion and the thing i really love and guess what happened, i blew up the ligaments in my knee playing football and now i don't even know if i will be able to play such sports again, atleast not like before. I've always had pretty blue eyes, but about a year ago i went to doctor because they were bothering me and were red and doctor found out that i have a disease of dry eyes, i have to use eye drops every day. Can you imagine a life like that, at 23, i mean, my genes are like when someone hit the lottery with genes i hit the opposite, my dad had afro hair during his youth and now, in his 50's, he started balding, but that's so minor that he is probably going to have his hair till the end of his life. I realized that i am so insecure and have really low self condifence and opinion of myself. I genuinly don't care about anybody that much except for my family, and i know my family loves me, i was thinking if they weren't here, if they died in a car crash for example i wouldn't care if i was dead or alive.

I've always loved to flirt, i really love girls, love playing these games, i have a good sense of humour, people told me i am charming, but since i've started balding nothing else is important, i am just too insecure to score a girl, and to be honest, i stopped caring because i don't want to put some girl through a man that is balding in his 20s. It may sound shallow, but i would never date a fat girl, looks are important even though people try to decrease it's importance.

I don't even know what's next for me, i will keep using minoxidil and slowly balding with it even though it looks like it is using it's impact and i don't know how will i cope with it eventually. Really don't know.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
It's the worst yea , I've been balding since 16 so I know where your coming from. I am also one of those guys who could not pull off the bald look at all. Also agree with you that seeing young guys with super impressive thick hair is depressing as hell. actually it makes me feel like an old man to be honest.

I feel much more attractive when I wear a hat because hairloss at a young age is really a night mare . I would still think you should try finasteride because you care about your hair a lot , I'm on it right now and I'm praying it works otherwise I'm doomed. From what I know about it If you do get side affects they are almost always reversible

g.i joey

Reaction score
Hi, this is going to be a long post as i will write about this thing that is ruining my life. When i look back i can see that i started balding around 19 years old but didn't really notice it until 21-22. I am currently norwood 2 with diffuse thinning all over the scalp, it looks bad and i can't really style my hair cause it's going to look cringe. I've been using minoxidil for a year and a half, and while it really showed nice results after about a half a year in, things have started to go south last couple of months. And i can't and won't use finasteride. I don't want something that can affect my erection and i am on college so i have to pay a certain amount of money for minoxidil and if i had to pay finasteride aswell i might have to be homeless.

Now about the impact, it's terrifying, i could write a book about it, how much it affects me. First, i think about it every time i look in the mirror, i don't even look at other parts of my face, i just look at my hair and think how bad it looks and how unlucky i am. I look around and see guys my age have such a thick and nice hair they can style and make it look awesome, while mine looks like i borrowed it from a 50 year old guy. That's also one of the problems, i've started checking out men, not really men as a whole, but their hair and when i see an old guy with hair better than mine it makes me even more sad, i am so insecure because of it, i have a complex about my hair.

It changed my life in a way a person without male pattern baldness just can't understand and comprehend, i talked with my mother and a couple of my friends about it and they just don't understand why is that such a big deal and the argument is always there are actors and stars who are bald and they look good, smh. It makes me angry that i suffer from this crap at my age, at 23, my early 20s, age where i am supposed to be at my physical peak, where people style their hair whichever way they want because they are young and everything is fine.

I didn't believe in God but i started because of bad things that have recently happened in my life. I was always happy about my looks, i loved to style my hair, especially comb it to the side, because i have a pretty face that is kind of childish but cute, imagine that without hair, i can't even think about it without sweating. And that's not everything. I always loved sports, that's my passion and the thing i really love and guess what happened, i blew up the ligaments in my knee playing football and now i don't even know if i will be able to play such sports again, atleast not like before. I've always had pretty blue eyes, but about a year ago i went to doctor because they were bothering me and were red and doctor found out that i have a disease of dry eyes, i have to use eye drops every day. Can you imagine a life like that, at 23, i mean, my genes are like when someone hit the lottery with genes i hit the opposite, my dad had afro hair during his youth and now, in his 50's, he started balding, but that's so minor that he is probably going to have his hair till the end of his life. I realized that i am so insecure and have really low self condifence and opinion of myself. I genuinly don't care about anybody that much except for my family, and i know my family loves me, i was thinking if they weren't here, if they died in a car crash for example i wouldn't care if i was dead or alive.

I've always loved to flirt, i really love girls, love playing these games, i have a good sense of humour, people told me i am charming, but since i've started balding nothing else is important, i am just too insecure to score a girl, and to be honest, i stopped caring because i don't want to put some girl through a man that is balding in his 20s. It may sound shallow, but i would never date a fat girl, looks are important even though people try to decrease it's importance.

I don't even know what's next for me, i will keep using minoxidil and slowly balding with it even though it looks like it is using it's impact and i don't know how will i cope with it eventually. Really don't know.

There aren't many things that should get an early 20s guy depressed, hairloss has to be on the top of the list to me imo

Dude talk to a Doctor and see if finasteride is a viable option. You can avoid this disease for another 10 years if so. Good luck in whatever you wish to do man!

Guzam

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Have you reached the point when friends, girl-friends and family start commenting on your balding?

If not, brace yourself, because that's probably going to hit hard and big.

When it started happening to me, hair loss depression deepened and became unbearable. I had two self harm episodes one year ago (20 yo) when drunk: I cut into my leg with a knife in a fit of self hate. Entirely due to balding. Now, I thought, this is fucked up big time.

Found this on wikipedia, highlighted the specifics of my self harm episode caused by stress due to balding:

Untitled5.png

That's when I put aside fear and started finasteride. I think I made the right choice and even if it's still not noticeable (6 months in), my mind has eased greatly and I stopped having self harm episodes.

My suggestion, as always, is to book the derm and get on the finasteride, now.

Last edited:

resu

Reaction score
It will soon turn to apathy, it's the normal process of accepting your fate. At 30's I look at my late 20's when I started to shed like crazy for a year until I reached this point of diffused hair loss, to think how I wasted those precious years... hair loss clouded my mind and I made many mistakes that won't ever get better, to think those years were so much better than me today, be careful with your decisions and try to make the best of what you have at this moment because your hair will get worse next year and the next. Even if a cure appeared tomorrow it wouldn't fix my life, I would be like an inmate coming out and seeing the world different and having to build everything from scratch while everyone else carried on living and enjoying their life.

Last edited:

johnqy

Reaction score
It will soon turn to apathy, it's the normal process of accepting your fate. At 30's I look at my late 20's when I started to shed like crazy for a year until I reached this point of diffused hair loss, to think how I wasted those precious years... hair loss clouded my mind and I made many mistakes that won't ever get better, to think those years were so much better than me today, be careful with your decisions and try to make the best of what you have at this moment because your hair will get worse next year and the next. Even if a cure appeared tomorrow it wouldn't fix my life, I would be like an inmate coming out and seeing the world different and having to build everything from scratch while everyone else carried on living and enjoying their life.

Thank you. I sort of feel apathy right now, not about my hair, my hair is still a thing that bothers me in a huge way, one look in the mirror and my mood can swing from normal to feeling like crap. I have a feeling that i think about my hair most of the day, i check it on every window, mirror and other glass things i have a chance, i feel like Queen's song "I'm going slightly mad" would fit me the best at the moment. But i feel apathy in other things in my life, as i said i don't really seem to care about whether or not i will make a connection with somebody, i don't care if i get the girl or not, get my life together or not, i got a feeling that bad genes such as mine are like a message to me that i should not reproduce, natural selection.

And the worst thing is if you are used to attention from girls and being attractive as i was until these shitty things have started happening to me. There's that common question, why me, and i don't even have a bald father, nor were my grandads bald, and i am just 23.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everytime Im amazed by people that effected by hairloss so deeply, that their life getting ruined, and still wouldnt take finasteride. Like what the f*ck, the dude doesnt even have sex, he just prefer to sit in his room, jack off and cry, instead of having a normal life, with some weaker erection.
I cant comprehend this stupid way of thinking

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but what if finasteride doest do sh*t ? in some cases in tends to make everything worse. hairloss increases and libido decreases.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but what if finasteride doest do sh*t ? in some cases in tends to make everything worse. hairloss increases and libido decreases.
well yes, of course in this case there isnt alot you can do. I myself dont respond to finasteride. But at least I tried it.
The dude doesnt even want to try, not because he doesnt believe it helps, but because he is afraid his erection will get weaker god forbids. Whats the point sacrificing your whole life for your d*ck

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well yes, of course in this case there isnt alot you can do. I myself dont respond to finasteride. But at least I tried it.
The dude doesnt even want to try, not because he doesnt believe it helps, but because he is afraid his erection will get weaker god forbids. Whats the point sacrificing your whole life for your d*ck

wait so what are you on now if not on finasteride?

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, I should've started taking it super early and just dealt with all the side effects. I didn't know my balding would be that bad, and I didn't know I would look that bad bald.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
and no side effects?
Yes I get some side effects.
But well, I dont know, I have a long story with hairloss and medications, I have been on meds on and off, my hairloss continued but slowly, Im not sure what exactly helps me, but Im just desperate, so Im still trying different treatments, already scheduled hair transplant, and hope for the best