The Hypothyroidism And male pattern baldness Thread For Sufferers

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought id start a thread about hypothyroidism and see who on here has it and what if anything theyve found to experience with it in relation to their male pattern baldness.

This isnt a thread to discuss if aomeones male pattern baldness is caused by thyroid but more one to talk about its contribution to genetic male pattern baldness.

I have had slow male pattern baldness from the age of 18. With help finasteride etc i have managed to keep things in check to a degree to age 30. When i was 27 i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I think its relatively rare in men but my mom has it so im guessing ive inherited it.

I currently take 100mg levothyroxine every day and have done now for last few yrs. when i first was diagbosed it was 75mg however Doctor increased recently to 100mg as my levels fell out of line again.

Theres alot of talk about how this condition can mess around with a persons growth cycles and cause shedding.

With all aspects of hypothyroidism symptoms such as this and ithers like lethargy are suppose to dissapear once on meds however i have found alot if sufferers including myself still see symptoms regularly.

So has anyone here with the condition found their male pattern baldness is anyway affected by it. Anyone had any success with doing things to help this?? What your thoughts guys.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with hypo at 19. My hair began diffuse thinning rapidly.

Got on meds and it has helped. Thyroid hormones, specifically T3, are very crucial to hair growth. Thyroid hormones actually heighten the effect of human growth hormone. That's why kids who go untreated with hypo can develop mental handicaps. So yes, if you have male pattern baldness or even if you don't, hypo or hyperthyroidism will cause you to lose some hair

I take 75mcg levothyroxine (T4)
And 5mcg Liothyronine (T3).

I had to supplement T3 because T4 alone wasn't relieving my symptoms. T3 is the physiologically active hormone after all

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a blood test in just over a week. Told my symptoms to the doctor and she said it sounds like I may be hypothyroid or becoming more and more hypothyroidic (called it 9 months and 2 blood tests ago but they refused to listen)

I'm diffuse thinning, pretty much all the hairs are minituarised though. I'm far only confident hypo-thyroidi doesn't cause minituarisation though? I think your hair just falls out but I could be wrong?

I have a receded hairline which I'm 99% sure it just down to male pattern baldness & genetics but the rest is a combination of hypo-symptons and Telogen Effluvium at the moment I believe.

Unless of cause it's DUPA which is why all the hairs, regardless of location are so thin and tiny. Then I'm pretty much fucked..

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a blood test in just over a week. Told my symptoms to the doctor and she said it sounds like I may be hypothyroid or becoming more and more hypothyroidic (called it 9 months and 2 blood tests ago but they refused to listen)

I'm diffuse thinning, pretty much all the hairs are minituarised though. I'm far only confident hypo-thyroidi doesn't cause minituarisation though? I think your hair just falls out but I could be wrong?

I have a receded hairline which I'm 99% sure it just down to male pattern baldness & genetics but the rest is a combination of hypo-symptons and Telogen Effluvium at the moment I believe.

Unless of cause it's DUPA which is why all the hairs, regardless of location are so thin and tiny. Then I'm pretty much fucked..

When I had untreated hypo my
Hair was coming out in clumps.

shookwun

Reaction score
The solution is to breed with native american women if you want to eradicate this defective gene, and ensure your children have a chance at god tier follicles.

I live in Alberta, and there are LOADS of aborginal communities, nations and areas where they reside. From homeless crackheads, to exceutives I HAVE never seen a balding aboriginal. I am amazed by there follicles, not only are they full heads but the hair itself is thick, and low set.

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
The solution is to breed with native american women if you want to eradicate this defective gene, and ensure your children have a chance at god tier follicles.

I live in Alberta, and there are LOADS of aborginal communities, nations and areas where they reside. From homeless crackheads, to exceutives I HAVE never seen a balding aboriginal. I am amazed by there follicles, not only are they full heads but the hair itself is thick, and low set.

Louis CK on seeing a hairy homeless dude:

BTW

Established Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with hypo at 19. My hair began diffuse thinning rapidly.

Thyroid hormones, specifically T3, are very crucial to hair growth. Thyroid hormones actually heighten the effect of human growth hormone. That's why kids who go untreated with hypo can develop mental handicaps.

You are wrong on this, in early infancy thryorid hormones promote mielinization of the neurons, mental retardation and human growth hormone have literally no link, people with human growth hormone deficiency have a normal IQ distribution

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are wrong on this, in early infancy thryorid hormones promote mielinization of the neurons, mental retardation and human growth hormone have literally no link, people with human growth hormone deficiency have a normal IQ distribution

Incorrect. Thyroid hormone is directly related to growth hormone. Thyroid hormone is "permissive" of growth hormone. Go look it up.