The Hairline Shadow on Hair Systems

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
It's something I've noticed from time to time. Not everywhere though, which leads me to believe it comes down to the quality of the systems/bases. I know it's obviously the base of the system, but I'm still not sure why exactly it happens, but I've noticed it from both poly and lace systems. Either way it's a rather instant giveaway to someone that something is up or different with your hair. Below are two examples of what I'm talking about...

First, this is a lace system on a user from another forum...
89.jpg

Next up go to 3:38 in this video of Jake Kent. He is wearing a poly system in this video...

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know it's obviously the base of the system, but I'm still not sure why exactly it happens
The colour of the lace? Lace which is too tan in colour against white skin will cause it. Or perhaps even French as oppose to Swiss.

Noah

Reaction score
The most likely cause in the first case is just dust or dirt sticking to the hairline glue. Or it could be a skin base which has become a bit opaque or discoloured with age.

In the second case, that orange glow is caused by poorly executed knot bleaching. You see it more often on dark hair, where the knot bleach has strayed onto the bottom of the hair shafts and partially bleached them too, leaving them orange-coloured.

I think in reality this is only an "instant giveaway" on a forum devoted to men's hair systems. I doubt most people would even notice it.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I think this can be solved or avoided with a simple 2 minute cleanup of the hairline every day, as taught in the following tutorials:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Just wipe with some isopropyl alcohol and if not enough, then redo the hairline upto a few cm-s back. Seems like a little bit lifted and dirty glue. Also a little bit visible knots.

Last edited:

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I think this can be solved or avoided with a simple 2 minute cleanup of the hairline every day, as taught in the following tutorials:

I think we are talking about two different things. This video is a how to on how to clean up dust and dirt on the very edge of the hairline. In my post I am talking about legitimate shadow beyond the hairline really, where the base is clearly contrasting a bit too much with the skin.

Guitarmaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does lace color vary by manufacturer? Obviously everyone has specific nuances to their skin tone and variation on lace color might cause this.

Either way, I am looking at my own natural hairline right now and there some sort of a shadow effect that occurs naturally, so I agree with @Noah.

I don’t know why there would be a shadow with poly with its fully transparent.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I think we are talking about two different things. This video is a how to on how to clean up dust and dirt on the very edge of the hairline. In my post I am talking about legitimate shadow beyond the hairline really, where the base is clearly contrasting a bit too much with the skin.
Dirt goes between the hairs as well. You have to wipe there too.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Does lace color vary by manufacturer? Obviously everyone has specific nuances to their skin tone and variation on lace color might cause this.

Either way, I am looking at my own natural hairline right now and there some sort of a shadow effect that occurs naturally, so I agree with @Noah.

What is a natural hairline?

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
at the end of the day it’s a base and can absolutely produce a bit of a shadow in certain lights just like it can also give off a shine in certain lights as well