The Hair Follicle as an Estrogen Target and Source

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
that article is over my head is it saying estrogen good for hair or bad.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The authors of that article are the same ones who did the in vitro experiment showing that the growth of balding frontal scalp hair follicles was stimulated by estrogen.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Stimulated positively, yes.

amsch

Reaction score
Well, that's what i've been thinking all along. Reducing DHT in a long term can't be a healthy solution.

bryan, propecia worked very well for me. But i do not think because of the reduced dht, i guess it has been caused by my exploded estrogene lvls (they were double as high as the max. range).

I guess if we find a way to put estrogenes to our scalp without causing the side effects, we would be happy. What do you think of this? Generally spoken.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
amsch said:
bryan, propecia worked very well for me. But i do not think because of the reduced dht, i guess it has been caused by my exploded estrogene lvls (they were double as high as the max. range).

Do you really think your "exploded estrogen levels" were caused by the Propecia?

amsch said:
I guess if we find a way to put estrogenes to our scalp without causing the side effects, we would be happy. What do you think of this? Generally spoken.

I generally consider estrogen to be only a relatively mild palliative influence on male pattern baldness. If we could find a way to use it topically without systemic absorption, I would expect it to be somewhat helpful.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
larry27 said:
in vitro you dont have the tide of dht from the blood torrent

What's your point?

larry27

Reaction score
its not the same "in vitro" or "in vivo" the most dht come from the blood
to the follicle. in vitro dont have this only have dht around the cells
but in vivo you have a lot of new [From the blood] dht constantly

is for this i dont believe too much in the dht topical killers
the best dht killers works in all the body, if a dht killer topical can
do something i for the sitemic absortion

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
larry27 said:
its not the same "in vitro" or "in vivo" the most dht come from the blood to the follicle. in vitro dont have this only have dht around the cells but in vivo you have a lot of new [From the blood] dht constantly

I don't even believe what you say about DHT, but aside from that, I still don't see what that has to do with the subject of this thread.

amsch

Reaction score
Bryan said:
amsch said:

Do you really think your "exploded estrogen levels" were caused by the Propecia?

Yes. I've got another bloodtest AFTER propecia and my estrogen lvl reduced by 50%. I didn't have gyno development pre propecia either.

Isn't there any way to create a topical, that get's washed out by water (in our case: blood) after some while, before it can have an effect on our body hormones?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're talking about fluridil! :)

larry27

Reaction score
i say this comentary for

"The authors of that article are the same ones who did the in vitro experiment showing that the growth of balding frontal scalp hair follicles was stimulated by estrogen."

why dont believe what i say about dht?
if this is not certain why the azelaic + b6 and zinc dot work? [in vitro inhibition of 98% of dht]

[excuse my english is not my mother languaje]

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
larry27 said:
i say this comentary for

"The authors of that article are the same ones who did the in vitro experiment showing that the growth of balding frontal scalp hair follicles was stimulated by estrogen."

Yes, but that's about ESTROGEN, and you're talking about DHT.

larry27 said:
why dont believe what i say about dht?
if this is not certain why the azelaic + b6 and zinc dot work? [in vitro inhibition of 98% of dht]

I don't know why topical azelaic acid doesn't seem to work in vivo. I just know that it doesn't appear to do that.

On the other hand, there are other substances which _do_ work as topical 5a-reductase inhibitors in vivo. Good examples of those are certain unsaturated fatty acids like gamma-linolenic acid. The fact that they work topically DESPITE the fact that there is still systemic DHT in the bloodstream contradicts your claim that systemic DHT plays an important role.

amsch

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Sounds like you're talking about fluridil! :)

Where you refering to me? As far as i know fluridil isn't strong enough by itself... IF you where talking to me, why is it possible to do this with Fluridil, but not with many other topicals?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
amsch said:
Where you refering to me? As far as i know fluridil isn't strong enough by itself... IF you where talking to me, why is it possible to do this with Fluridil, but not with many other topicals?

Sure, I was referring to you. What you said about being "washed away by the blood" instantly reminded me of the way that fluridil is supposed to work.

As for whether or not fluridil is strong enough...how would we really even know (other than from just individual user anecdotes), since it STILL to this day hasn't been tested by independent scientists? :)