The Future of Hair replacement...how good can it get?

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I just wondered if people had any predictions on what the future could hold for hair pieces....how they could get even better.

thanks.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don´t think they could be much more better. Or someone invents something to improve the durability of some very thin skin systems. Of course the glue could be better. There are some things out there, not for skin of course, which can hold houses together. It is some kind of a snail race, because only 2 big player are out there for glue. It will be a niche product (?) for some time. Maybe in some years, decades, centuries or whatever they have a more medical aspect to regrown even hair which is failed. Then you pay one time fee for an everlasting hair. And of course everyone of us would pay the price if its maybe 20 - 50k

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They should make hair systems that never shed, never fade the hair colour, and bonds that can last for as long as you choose to wear without breaking down (although in practice you'll always need to detach a system eventually to clean it and your scalp, plus shave your bio hair underneath).

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Think we're going in the opposite direction, here. Step 1 would be to get back to pre-Covid quality standards, but I think that's unlikely to happen. The most important thing is to establish fairer wages and sustainable business practices within the industry. That would mean paying more, but the alternative is we're going to experience further disruptions and backsliding eventually.

There hasn't been any real improvement or advancement in the product design since I started wearing, or for a long time before as far as i know. The main thing that's changed is the internet has made it much easier to source hairpieces direct from wholesalers and manufacturers, etc, instead of having to pay a premium to salons and clubs.

The only thing I've seen that appeared to be a radically different approach, 'the toupee of the future', was from this company in Japan called Propia that makes prosthetic eyebrows. They were offering some incredibly thin and realistic skin unit which had to be vacuum sealed to your head onsite. There was a video circulating showing a customer having one fitted- he was then given an induction cut. This was 10 years or so ago, and they've long since discontinued the product/service. It obviously wasn't a success from an economic standpoint.

It's really more a question of what's profitable and practical than what's possible.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
They should make hair systems that never shed, never fade the hair colour, and bonds that can last for as long as you choose to wear without breaking down (although in practice you'll always need to detach a system eventually to clean it and your scalp, plus shave your bio hair underneath).
0 reason to do that.

You are expecting more from a system than bio hair. You answered your question about bond time. And why would an industry with such low margins invent something that lasts longer, when almost every other industry in the world is doing the opposite (except for automobiles)?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Think we're going in the opposite direction, here. Step 1 would be to get back to pre-Covid quality standards, but I think that's unlikely to happen. The most important thing is to establish fairer wages and sustainable business practices within the industry. That would mean paying more, but the alternative is we're going to experience further disruptions and backsliding eventually.

There hasn't been any real improvement or advancement in the product design since I started wearing, or for a long time before as far as i know. The main thing that's changed is the internet has made it much easier to source hairpieces direct from wholesalers and manufacturers, etc, instead of having to pay a premium to salons and clubs.

The only thing I've seen that appeared to be a radically different approach, 'the toupee of the future', was from this company in Japan called Propia that makes prosthetic eyebrows. They were offering some incredibly thin and realistic skin unit which had to be vacuum sealed to your head onsite. There was a video circulating showing a customer having one fitted- he was then given an induction cut. This was 10 years or so ago, and they've long since discontinued the product/service. It obviously wasn't a success from an economic standpoint.

It's really more a question of what's profitable and practical than what's possible.
Why isn't it going back to pre-covid quality?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

Disagree 100% on the quality, my factory uses in-house employees, and does top quality work.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Agree with Baldbearded. 3 years on from Covid and the Chinese workers are up to speed producing good quality pieces if the units I have got are a sign.

Remember they were doing the same before relocating production for cost.

Initially, I thought this post was about baldness solutions in future - I believe one day medical solutions be in a cold, baldness, cancer will be tailored according to the patients DNA - we are not far off this as research has been well underway in cancer treatment.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it's better now than 2 years ago, I've been able to get stuff that's comparable to the pre-covid pieces that weren't my favorite, but nothing like the best ones. And also there are more inconsistencies from unit to unit.

Some companies have been faster than others getting it together again, and old preferences no longer apply.

One thing I've seen that I think is a new approach (but may just be new to me) is the practice of gluing hair extensions directly to the head, with no base, to create a '360 waves' kind of style. It doesn't seem to be an option for any other hair texture or style. Mickey Da Barber's YouTube channel shows how it's done.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you that I can't find ANYONE who can match the knotting standard of the pieces I was getting before (actually v loop and injection, no "knots"). Not by a longshot, the best I've managed to find is well short of that, and I don't see it coming back.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been waiting almost a year for a custom order from a UK company. I gave them a pass during the pandemic for delays in producing my custom systems, but to still be taking so long is ridiculous. I'm battling with them to get my money back or get them to send me a stock unit instead, but they keep trying to fob me off by saying 'it'll definitely be ready in a month' etc, but it never is. I've had to move to another supplier and use stock systems in the meantime (which has less choice for me because I like my hair 10 to 12 inches long). I got tired of having to make custom systems last 9 to 12 months - it's a challenge to keep them looking good.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting almost a year for a custom order from a UK company. I gave them a pass during the pandemic for delays in producing my custom systems, but to still be taking so long is ridiculous. I'm battling with them to get my money back or get them to send me a stock unit instead, but they keep trying to fob me off by saying 'it'll definitely be ready in a month' etc, but it never is. I've had to move to another supplier and use stock systems in the meantime (which has less choice for me because I like my hair 10 to 12 inches long). I got tired of having to make custom systems last 9 to 12 months - it's a challenge to keep them looking good.
Mines from a UK supplier I wonder if its the same one?
Would you mind telling me who your new supplier is?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mines from a UK supplier I wonder if its the same one?
Would you mind telling me who your new supplier is?

I won't say publicly who the supplier who let me down is, but will do by PM.

As for my new supplier, I've tried Esse Wigs in China so far. They do stock long hair systems for men. The one I ordered recently was thin skin. The hair quality, colour, texture, density etc is good, but it sheds far too quickly so I won't order that one again.