The effects of Testosterone on head hair?

Unstable

Reaction score
Does anyone know the effects of testosterone on head hair? Is it good for growth?

Or is it meaningless? Because for one, the best hair regrowth we have seen have been men who changed their sex from M to F or basically castrated themselves. Also we know castrated men don't bald. Also steroids users of test never report increased hair growth once they jump on Test for bodybuilding purposes.

Anyone know? Or have the literature I can read

shookwun

Reaction score
I've been on testosterone in the range of 250-600mg for the past year and can attest to it not accelerating or making a difference while on finasteride.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
Castrated men don't go bald because they have basically no significant DHT. 5% of testosterone is converted into DHT and this is what causes hair loss. Testosterone itself doesn't cause men to go bald, only the more potent androgen, DHT.

rvahair1

Banned
Reaction score
So friends can I do weightlifting it wont increase pace of hairloss

Weight lifting has little effect on hair loss. The association comes from steroid abuse, which is common among some bodybuilders. If you lift weights, it may increase surge in testosterone, but you would be sensitive to DHT regardless if you lifted weights or not.

Unstable

Reaction score
Interesting first two post.

So it seems that TEST whether high dosage(on steroids) or zero levels(being castrated or M2F sex changes) doesn't ITSELF effect hair.

The issue is DHT of course. But now the question must be asked? Why does DHT cause hair loss when testosterone doesn't? Why does one horomone affect hair loss and the other doesn't?

My theory is testosterone is meaningless to head hair growth. Why? Because our hair grows since the day we are born when test production is near zero, hair grows before puberty when test production is low and men who castrated grow either regardless. So test levels don't effect head hair.

So I am theorising that Test is meaningless to hair growth period. However, DHT is needed to grow hair in the public areas and body hair. So when DHT is released into the system is looks to activate hair growth where there is hair. However, it activates hair everywhere but the scalp? Why? In my theory, the skull or the only area you lose hair ACTUALLY doesn't have androgen receptors. So DHT floats around the body look to activate hair, it reaches the scalp since there are no receptors. The DHT gets clogged there and along with more buildup the DHT slowly starts to block nutrient/supply to the hair. It usually blocks and starts areas where blood flow is the less. Around the temples(hairline) and crown. As DHT builds up over time, the same apply happens like it does to all men. Temples/Hairline go, followed by crown and eventully the middle spot.

You think this makes sense?

x2k

Reaction score
Being on T will most likely raise DHT. Being on T in transdermal form (i.e. Androgel and similar products) will raise DHT even further, often several times above what a 'normal' male would have. Increased DHT is not going to be good for hair in the long run really....... well apart from increased body hair maybe.

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used finasteride and ru on my last test cycle. And saw a great improvement to my hair.

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
Testosterone definitely causes hairloss, but its all dependent to you sensitivity to it. Many poeple say that after 10-15 years of finasteride their hairloss starts again this is becuase of testosterone, if you deny that tesosterone is linked with hairloss you have no idea what you are talking about.

I took dutasteride for 8 months and still had thinning, if dutasteride inhibs 99% of dht than the only other male hormone that could have caused this would be testosterone

abcdefg

Reaction score
Maybe its true its just DHT and nothing to do with T. Doesnt it seem odd though two male androgens and one DHT causes male pattern baldness directly by binding to receptors in hair and T does absolutely nothing even though it is also an androgen? Seems odd at the very least. If T had some effect on hair it seems to me it would be much slower and more gradually compared to DHT since its much weaker.
The real question is why is hair sensitive to androgens in the first place?

Unstable

Reaction score
Maybe its true its just DHT and nothing to do with T. Doesnt it seem odd though two male androgens and one DHT causes male pattern baldness directly by binding to receptors in hair and T does absolutely nothing even though it is also an androgen? Seems odd at the very least. If T had some effect on hair it seems to me it would be much slower and more gradually compared to DHT since its much weaker.
The real question is why is hair sensitive to androgens in the first place?

Here is my theory

We grow head hair the day we are born. We grow hair before puberty. And finally castrated men continue to grow hair even after being castrated.

What does this tell us? IMO that testosterone has zero effect on head hair growth. Head hair will grow regardless only unless blocked.

Now my opinion, is that DHT actually stimulates hair growth. It stimulates hair growth in the pubic, chest and beard. However it causes hair loss in the head hair.

Why? Because actually the head hair has no androgen receptors. So as DHT stimulates hair eslewhere, it gets clogged out and blocked up in the scalp area since there is no androgen receptors or muscle.

Muscles-Head-Anterior.jpg

Look at this picture. What's the difference between scalp hair, side/backhair and beard hair? What is the difference? There is no muscles or androgen receptors in the scalp. So as DHT is produced, it builds up in the scalp slowly causing hair loss

Thoughts on this theory? I think it makes prefect sense

Dazzel

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I will get negged for this, but what if someday we find out DHT/T is not really the true cause of baldness, but its something else.

It is, proof is females changing into men, when they take testosterone shots they eventually end up with male pattern baldness and bad recession at the temples and eventually bald just like biological males
Also castrated males (before puberty) or males that are deficient and have no testosterone like Andy Milonakis for example don't end up losing a single hair.

Without Testosterone in your blood floating around = no male pattern baldness

rvahair1

Banned
Reaction score
It is, proof is females changing into men, when they take testosterone shots they eventually end up with male pattern baldness and bad recession at the temples and eventually bald just like biological males
Also castrated males (before puberty) or males that are deficient and have no testosterone like Andy Milonakis for example don't end up losing a single hair.

Without Testosterone in your blood floating around = no male pattern baldness

Isn't that still anecdotal? Not all female to male trans become bald- in fact, quite a few do not.

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I will get negged for this, but what if someday we find out DHT/T is not really the true cause of baldness, but its something else.

well its probably not testosterone directly, but it definetly starts the chain reaction which leads to male pattern baldness.

If you gave 15 of the worlds top scientists and enough funding I could probably find the cure in 4-5 years.

Its fukking pathetic how there is no cure yet, I mean it isnt that complicated of a process, we know it is linked with testosterone and dht so why the hell is there no further research into it. Its like everyone has their eyes closed purposly trying not to find the cure

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean it isnt that complicated of a process, we know it is linked with testosterone and dht so why the hell is there no further research into it. Its like everyone has their eyes closed purposly trying not to find the cure

Actually the pathology of male pattern baldness is really complicated. There's a lot more to it than just DHT.

Dazzel

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't that still anecdotal? Not all female to male trans become bald- in fact, quite a few do not.
From what I have seen on YouTube, Most of them do or they at least start receding around the 10 month mark with noticeable hair loss.

Prada1

Established Member
Reaction score
Its not as simple as just DHT. Many body builder seems to lose hair with AAS that are more androgenic then anabolic. DHT is very strong. Most lose lots of hair on masteron or trenbolone. Testosterones effects on hair loss are significantly diminished when used in conjunction with duta of fina. Others have reported to virtually no loss from using deca, anavar or equipoise. If Im not mistaken DHT is rated as a very high ratio of androgenic:anabolic and there does seem to be a correlation between how androgenic a hormone is and its effect on hairloss.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I have never been fully convinced that T does absolutely nothing but I acknowledge DHT is much stronger and more important. Well male pattern baldness is as simple as DHT in terms of preventing hair loss from happening but yes its way more complicated upstream and downstream of that initial androgen trigger. We cant fix or alter a lot of the other steps in the process which is why androgens are so key still. We have lots of proof how critical they are, and we have some compounds that can affect that.
Stopping androgens is not that easy to do its been a problem for 20+ years and still no perfect solutions. Even dutasteride probably doesnt stop DHT completely and it raises your T even more than propecia.