The Effects Of Hair Regrowth With Intravenous Immunoglobulin (ivig) Therapy. Two Case Reports

Switzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Abstract
Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) is an immune modulating treatment used in a variety of immune mediated diseases. We report, two patients of different demographics, treated with IVIG for different neurological diagnoses who reported significant hair growth after starting IVIG treatments. To date, there have been no reports of using IVIG as a treatment for hair loss due to androgenic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).

Full study here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352241017300191

Pretty impressive regrowth for the short treatment period:

1-s2.0-S2352241017300191-fx1.jpg

1-s2.0-S2352241017300191-fx2.jpg

Aliens

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised by this result. I always thought that to date we largely overlook the effect of follicular blood flow and focus too much on DHT. Sure DHT is a cause of Androgenetic Alopecia, but it does not seem crazy to me that non sufficient blood flow bringing nutrient could lead to Androgenetic Alopecia or make the effect of DHT worse.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I guess impressive means different things to different people. Compared to current stuff I guess its impressive, but these guys are still clearly balding pretty big time. Its like if you can still see obvious thinning it almost makes no difference. Your either someone that is balding or your not. It takes a huge amount of hair to put you back in that Norwood 1 not balding category.

plisk

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised by this result. I always thought that to date we largely overlook the effect of follicular blood flow and focus too much on DHT. Sure DHT is a cause of Androgenetic Alopecia, but it does not seem crazy to me that non sufficient blood flow bringing nutrient could lead to Androgenetic Alopecia or make the effect of DHT worse.

Androgenetic Alopecia isnt caused by DHT.

Everywhere else on the body DHT causes marked hair growth. The only area - and only in men with male pattern baldness genetics - it decreases hair growth is in the top of the scalp. The problem isnt DHT, the problem is our dysfunctional follicles.

H

Reaction score
Why can't they use a flash right on top of the head smack dab in the middle? Why does the second photo always have to be in different lighting or slightly to the the other side or lower ?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Androgenetic Alopecia isnt caused by DHT.

Everywhere else on the body DHT causes marked hair growth. The only area - and only in men with male pattern baldness genetics - it decreases hair growth is in the top of the scalp. The problem isnt DHT, the problem is our dysfunctional follicles.

He said it is "a cause" not "the cause", which is correct; you're balding because of genetically-inherited sensitivity to DHT in scalp hair.

Take away the DHT entirely and no balding occurs.

tylerduren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He said it is "a cause" not "the cause", which is correct; you're balding because of genetically-inherited sensitivity to DHT in scalp hair.

Take away dht and you become a b**ch... literally

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I don't think that is the case, sure no DHT = no balding, but genetic sensitivity isn't the reason. Local increased 5ar production which results in 2X DHT and half T of a normal follicle. It isn't that the follicle is more sensitive, it is that it is being overwhelmed by DHT due to local factors.

Blocking androgen receptors or inhibiting 5ar are both crappy solutions as does not seem to be possible to do it locally without going systemic and it's basically treating the symptoms.

The real cure will come when people look into the reasons for the 5ar elevation, it seems to be pointing towards inflammation.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add another thing, a cure will result in hair growth in a short time like the examples shown above. None of this 6-12months BS. It just shows how crappy the medication we have at the moment is.