The effect of Ginseng on male pattern baldness

Jonathan

Reaction score
Hi,

I am 24 years old and suffering from male pattern baldness. I have been on Propecia now for about 10 months or so, and generally I think my hairloss has stopped or at least significantly slowed down, since friends tell me they think my hair looks better than a year ago (but ofcourse they are getting used to my balding).

Anyway except for Propecia I am also taking Solgar multi-vitamins VM-2000 (http://www.solgar.com/cgi-bin/online_reference_new/online_ref.pl?function=Product&id=96824544729345) and my father bought me some korean ginseng, because he said it is good for the overall body, potency (since Propecia will lower libido) and muscle growth (I have been working out for the last 10 months or so). But then I was reading up on ginseng and I read this on HerbMed:

Spermatozoa number and motility and plasma testosterone, DHT, FSH and LH levels increased in men taking ginseng while PRL decreased in a study with 66 patients Salvati 1996

What the f***!? DHT levels increased? I am taking Propecia to lower the DHT levels! Anyone any advice or experience!?

Thanks!
Jonathan

Rudiratlos

Reaction score
dont worry ginseng doesnt do anything with your testosteron/DHT...thats what they want you to believe (like tribulus terrestis doesnt do anything with your test/LH to)

Ginseng does someting with your acetylcholin (receptor) cauzing a NO release (hence the somewhat libido enhancing effect and relaxation of muscle )

ginseng is a direct (weak) and indirect antioxidant (endothelial nitric oxide synthase stimulation)

the combination Ginseng/tribulis is good for improved erections ;-)
and doesnt have any influence on your endocrine system..

dont use these supllemnts every day for a long period..caz toxity isnt clear

Jonathan

Reaction score
What do you mean not to take these supplements everyday for a lot period? Are you talking about the ginseng or Solgar vitamins? And what do you recommend? Thanks!

PS Hey you're from the Netherlands as well!? Amsterdam?

Rudiratlos

Reaction score
nee amersfoort!! hehe
ik bedoel slink middelen als ginseng niet het hele jaar door omdat toxiteit niet helemaal duidelijk is..hoewel je niet veel gevaar ervan hoeft Telogen Effluvium verwachten...ik zou zeggen gebruik het 2 maanden en dan 2 tot 4 weken niet.. ..

Ginseng wont raise test levels... i used tribules on occasion and it improved my erections (tribulus wont raise Testosteron levels to)

Good luck

Rudiratlos

Reaction score
Btw ...prolactine is a libido killer....
raised prolactine levels (hyper prolactinemia ) will kill your sex drive..
it think thats wy saw palmetto has fever side effects.. because it blocks the prolactine receptor... (but as a DHT blocker its less potent than finasteride)

u can take your multi vit every day..but when its very high dosed skip it for a couple of days (once in a while) ...because some vitamines are soluble in fat .. .

for me to counter strike possible libido problems...a good diet (vegies/fruits... a lot aff fat fish...litle saturated fatty acids) ..lots off excersize...and a good day night rithm (get enough sleep)
how are your hair results so far..

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Have Ginseng in my Centrum Performance. On it for 2 months. Not a limp dick in sight. :p

X

Jonathan

Reaction score
Rudiratlos: how are your hair results so far..

Well I've been on Propecia now for about 11 months and I guess my hairloss has stopped or at least significantly slowed down, since friends tell me they think my hair looks better than a year ago.

I think this is due to Propecia but also an improved lifestyle. I started to exercise and I eat a lot better, take vitamins an so on. I think the combination is a winner...

And you?

Rudiratlos

Reaction score
Hi john..

well just been on Propecia for 4 weeks.(+2% nizral).. cant say... but i never had shedding (ever.) i dont lose more than the usual 50 -60 hairs a day..its just like
the hairs in my hairline became thinner.....and some just didnt return.. (hairline hasnt moved the last year(s) but thinned out some what. (i was on saw palmetto and 1% ketoconazole shampoo for 6 months...it think my hair line got a bit worse ..but not much..hard to tell anyway)

and i have a new hairstyl wich makes my hair look a lot thicker (semi spiked..messy ..jim (from dutch idols) like hairstyl.. i got very good comments on it..)..altthough its shows my tempels more... the receding is less obvious..(so when i look i the mirror my hair looks a lott beter especially after the last haircut..but itis probably the new hairstyle coz... 4 weeks it aint possible)

No side effects or shedding (jet) .. ...(btw i take ca 0.85mg a day )
i believe my healthy dieet and life style .. reduces the side effects ..

good luck and keep u informed!