The Effect of Botulinum Toxin on Hair Follicle Cell Regeneration Under Continuous Stress Conditions: a Pilot Animal Study

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
not sure what to make of this

We analyzed the effect of botulinum toxin (BTX) type A on the regeneration of hair follicle cells under continuous stress conditions. Thirty 6-week-old C57BL/6 mice were used, and hair loss was induced on their backs (10 control (CTL) mice, reared under normal conditions without stress; 10 mice, exposed to continuous stress (STRESS) by fixing in an enclosed space; 10 BTX + STRESS mice, injected subcutaneously with 1 IU of BTX (0.1 cc) where the hair follicles were removed under the same stress conditions). There was less hair growth in the STRESS and BTX + STRESS groups compared to that in the CTL group at 2 weeks. At 3 weeks, the telogen stage was mainly observed in the STRESS group whereas the anagen stage was observed in the CTL and BTX + STRESS groups. A substantial increase in terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase dUTP nick end labeling-positive cells was observed in the STRESS group compared to that in the CTL and BTX + STRESS groups. Substance P (SP) immunoreactivity cell levels increased in the STRESS group at 2 and 3 weeks compared to those in the BTX + STRESS group. SP expression increased at 2 and 3 weeks in the STRESS group compared to that in the CTL and BTX + STRESS groups. A delay in the regeneration cycle of the hair follicle cells occurred when stress was applied, and an almost normal regeneration cycle occurred when BTX was injected subcutaneously. Therefore, BTX may be a positive indicator for hair loss treatment.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Botulinum toxin type A (botox) was all the craze for a while based on some German paper published at the time. Dermatologists offered the treatment 3 years ago in my area and of course, I tried it. Nothing related to hair changed for me after 5/6 sessions.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks for letting us know. I did hear about some offering it as a treatment but I think if it was really efficacious we would have known by now.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
30 sites were injected with 100 U. I received further injections every 3 months for a total of 4 sessions