The current situation of male pattern baldness treatments

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man.. that is depressing.. Might as well stay away from this forum until 2017. And then maybe, only maybe, there will be a promising treatment
By promising I mean gaining back a norwood or two. That would be fantastic and definitely warrants excitement.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Histogen news maybe...

2:15Proteins Secreted by Hypoxia Induced Multipotent Stem Cells Stimulate Hair Growth in Men and Women
Naughton_Gail.jpg
Gail Naughton
Chief Executive Officer
Histogen
Hair loss is associated with miniaturized hair follicles due to a variety of factors including hormones, chemicals, extensive heat, stress, and chemotherapy. Stimulation of telogen to anagen and subsequent hair growth involves Follistatin, FGF-7, VEGF, and other growth factors. Human fibroblasts, grown hypoxic suspension culture, revert back into multipotent stem cells within 48 hrs as evidenced by the upregulation of SOX 2, Oct4, NANOG, and KLF4 genes as well as the expression of stem cell-associated proteins including Nodal, Brachyry, Nestin, and Oct4. The multipotent stem cell conditioned media (CCM) was characterized by ELISA testing and shown to contain a number of key growth factors including Follistatin, Noggin, TGF beta1, FGF, VEGF and HGF, all of which are important in the normal hair growth cycle. We studied the effects of this human cell-derived formulation, termed Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC), in two double-blind, placebo-controlled trials in male pattern baldness. 26 subjects received four 0.1cc intradermal injections at baseline in our proof-of concept (POC) study. Trichoscan analysis of HSC-treated sites at 12 and 52 weeks showed improvements in hair growth over the placebo. At the 12-week evaluation period, HSC-treated sites demonstrated an increase in hair shaft thickness (6.3%±2.5% vs. -0.63%±2.1%; p=0.046), thickness density (12.8%±4.5% vs. -0.2%±2.9%; p=0.028), and terminal hair density (20.6±4.9% vs. 4.4±4.9%; p=0.029). At one year, an increase in total hair count (p=0.032) continued to be seen. Doubling the number and frequency of injections in a Phase I/II 56 subject study resulted in a 46.5% increase in total hair at week 12 as compared to the POC trial (p=0.0013). The primary efficacy endpoint of increased terminal hair at 12 weeks was met, with a 49.5% increase over the same endpoint in our proof-of-concept trial. At the 48 week time point there continued to be an increase in total hairs over baseline (p=0.028). Additional dose ranging clinical studies utilizing the isolated growth factors are being conducted to evaluate the safety and efficacy of this formulation in subjects with androgenetic alopecia. The CCM is also being studied in other applications where stimulation of endogenous stem cells may be of an aesthetic or therapeutic advantage.

Source: https://www.gtcbio.com/conferences/stem-cell-product-development-commercialization-agenda

- - - Updated - - -

Histogen news maybe...

Proteins Secreted by Hypoxia Induced Multipotent Stem Cells Stimulate Hair Growth in Men and Women
Naughton_Gail.jpg
Gail Naughton
Chief Executive Officer
Histogen
Hair loss is associated with miniaturized hair follicles due to a variety of factors including hormones, chemicals, extensive heat, stress, and chemotherapy. Stimulation of telogen to anagen and subsequent hair growth involves Follistatin, FGF-7, VEGF, and other growth factors. Human fibroblasts, grown hypoxic suspension culture, revert back into multipotent stem cells within 48 hrs as evidenced by the upregulation of SOX 2, Oct4, NANOG, and KLF4 genes as well as the expression of stem cell-associated proteins including Nodal, Brachyry, Nestin, and Oct4. The multipotent stem cell conditioned media (CCM) was characterized by ELISA testing and shown to contain a number of key growth factors including Follistatin, Noggin, TGF beta1, FGF, VEGF and HGF, all of which are important in the normal hair growth cycle. We studied the effects of this human cell-derived formulation, termed Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC), in two double-blind, placebo-controlled trials in male pattern baldness. 26 subjects received four 0.1cc intradermal injections at baseline in our proof-of concept (POC) study. Trichoscan analysis of HSC-treated sites at 12 and 52 weeks showed improvements in hair growth over the placebo. At the 12-week evaluation period, HSC-treated sites demonstrated an increase in hair shaft thickness (6.3%±2.5% vs. -0.63%±2.1%; p=0.046), thickness density (12.8%±4.5% vs. -0.2%±2.9%; p=0.028), and terminal hair density (20.6±4.9% vs. 4.4±4.9%; p=0.029). At one year, an increase in total hair count (p=0.032) continued to be seen. Doubling the number and frequency of injections in a Phase I/II 56 subject study resulted in a 46.5% increase in total hair at week 12 as compared to the POC trial (p=0.0013). The primary efficacy endpoint of increased terminal hair at 12 weeks was met, with a 49.5% increase over the same endpoint in our proof-of-concept trial. At the 48 week time point there continued to be an increase in total hairs over baseline (p=0.028). Additional dose ranging clinical studies utilizing the isolated growth factors are being conducted to evaluate the safety and efficacy of this formulation in subjects with androgenetic alopecia. The CCM is also being studied in other applications where stimulation of endogenous stem cells may be of an aesthetic or therapeutic advantage.

Source: https://www.gtcbio.com/conferences/stem-cell-product-development-commercialization-agenda
Awesome find! This deserves it's own thread. You want to make it or do you want me to?

notsobad

Reaction score
At Histogen site:

Upcoming Events
Stem Cell Summit 2016
April 25-27, 2016
Boston, MA
Dr. Gail Naughton to present " Proteins Secreted by Hypoxia Induced Multipotent Stem Cells Stimulate Hair Growth in Men and Women"

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make sure this is completely new info first. I'll look around.

Hey dude, I dont think its new.
https://www.zacksinvest.com/sites/default/files/Hair Growth Trail.pdf

Phase I/II shows 46.5% greater increase intotal hair count as compared to the Pilot HSCclinical trial at 12 weeks. Results indicateimproved efficacy with additional injections; 4 atbaseline in pilot trial as compared to 8 atbaseline and repeat dose at 6 weeks in Phase I/II.

Its the same powerpoint they have been showing if Im not mistaken.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dang... If they're presenting old information over all of these months that's bad...

abcdefg

Reaction score
I agree that I think a lot of men look at the current treatments and just say its not worth it. Let nature run its course verses risking your long term health because long term no one knows what could happen. I do think finasteride is very safe, but do most men enjoy the idea of taking finasteride for their whole lives? I doubt it but what other choice is there?

rcom440

Reaction score
Garbage talk about hair transplants. There are reputable doctors in the industry... Rassman for example, who's honest. In Europe I've seen a lot of great pictures/videos of football players (soccer in US)/ celebrities, who had hair transplants and nobody would notice :)

Yeah sure, especially Rooney. His hair look like feather now.

farkhairloss

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen these photos. Stop in at Cooleys office. You'll change your tune. Most reputable Doctors have more to lose than gain coming to these forums.

Mach I have been meaning to log in and reply. So by Cooley and whoever else not posting before and after pictures of PRP they have more to loose, and you believe that? Greco who is apparently the one to go to for PRP even he has only a few pictures to show for himself after all these years, and they presumably the best results are quite poor.. If it actually worked patients would be raving about it!