The 'Beer Belly' (gut) Connection? - a scientific inquiry

agittprop

Reaction score
I look at pictures of my father when he was young and he was stick thin. All of a sudden at a certain age he says his gut gets tremendous as an elephant in breakneed speed. Accordint to him, he didn't start eating differently or exercising less or anything.
Coincidently (not) during this same period he flew off the norwood charts to a full NW7.

Now I've always been extremely thin myself (you know where this is going). About a year ago I noticed my gut began expanding like a baloon with wild abandon (like my father). During this exact time my hairloss accelerated at the speed of light. I also began to having to urinate 500 times a day (something common to my father as well).

So I thought about all of this and began to look at picture of Norwood 7s online and ones I passed on the street (people who had avanced past standard NW6 of a decently young age). EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS A HUGE GUT. I'm sure it's not 100% by any means, but I've yet to pass a NW7 who wasn't huge in the gut.

So what's the connection here? I've heard that CORTISOL causes visceral fat (fat in that area). Is CORTISOL related to hairloss. Should we be treating to reduce cortisol. There is a hormonal link here. Does DHT also cause visceral fat perhaps?

Cortisol is made by the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands also produce androgens such as DHT. Is it possible people with aggressive male pattern baldness have over active or 'over firing' adrenal glands that excrete excess CORTISOL AND ANDROGENS when stressed (adrenals are the stress glands). Me and my father..both super high stress..

There seems to be a process that goes on where you get fat in the gut, lose muscle tone, and go bald at the same time. These all seem to be signs of aging as your body winds down. Cortisol is sometimes known as the death hormone. However, this seems to be happening younger and younger.

Is it possible being overstressed causes your body to signal the aging deteroriation process (via adrenal glands) at a sooner time. Should we slow down cortisol?

anyone have any answers.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: The 'Beer Belly' (gut) Connection? - a scientific inquir

"... About a year ago I noticed my gut began expanding like a baloon with wild abandon (like my father). During this exact time my hairloss accelerated at the speed of light. I also began to having to urinate 500 times a day (something common to my father as well). There seems to be a process that goes on where you get fat in the gut, lose muscle tone, and go bald at the same time. Cortisol is sometimes known as the death hormone...However, this seems to be happening younger and younger. "

There is a metabolic syndrome (called Syndrome X http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C163465.html ) in which increasing weight and insulin resistance result in increasing obesity, increasing triglyceride/cholesterol, increasing blood sugars (diabetes) and even increased free androgens (at least in women, causing them to show increasing arm and facial hair growth). It is being seen more frequently in young people, even children.

If you are showing increased central obesity and frequent urination you need to see a doctor SOON to look for evidence of full blown (or at least early) diabetes. It would be reasonable to check cholesterol also, as that is part of the syndrome. Fasting insulin may be elevated before the other things happen, showing that you are headed in that direction.

The increased free androgens is due to decreased sex-hormone binding proteins, but I dont know that that can directly be treated. The best treatment for all of the problems (risk of diabetes, high cholesterol, viscious cycle of increasing weight/insulin resistance, increased free testosterone) is addressing weight with diet and exercise. Even a 10 pound weight loss helps, but once this cycle starts major lifestyle changes are needed.

In summary SEE YOUR DOCTOR to rule out diabetes... and look for this syndrome. Start taking care of yourself now, as without changes you are headed toward diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol (and maybe increased free testosterone, but Im not as sure about that for men) if you dont have them already...

Ps> I dont know your age... If you are more than 45ish the increased urinary frequency could also be BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) which is also caused by DHT/testosterone. It (and hair) benefits from proscar or Avodart. SEE YOUR DOCTOR. He may check your PSA, or put on a glove and ask you to turn around :shock:

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A while ago i posted topics and random mumblings of weight gain, obsesity and balding. I was extremely thin and with a atrocisously flat tummy for my age (24).....But i have hair loss with temple recede frontal thinning and vertex....I dont seem to expereince any of putting on tummy symptoms....Like recently i posted a topic on bieng underwieght and balding...it just didnt make sense to me...

oni

Reaction score
I still have a really flat tummy at 29 lol! just try to work out a bit and remember the older you get the harder it is to maintain what you had when you was young that includes your hair lol!

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe a substantial portion of weight gain is caused by people reducing level of activity as they age -- too bad, it should be the OPPOSITE and people should exercise MORE as they get older to compensate.

I believe some people get weight gain from finasteride, but I always have been a little suspicious on whether a) they were just lazy fat slobs b)they were hypochondriacs c) the time of finesteride intake just matched the time their metabolism was already going through a change.

Regarding cortisol, this is one hell of a hormone. Studies link it to so much sh*t in the body...

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: The 'Beer Belly' (gut) Connection? - a scientific inquir

½

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What;s mine?

I am thin and very flat tummy....No doabetes but why am i losing my hair?

G

chewbaca said:
What;s mine?

I am thin and very flat tummy....No doabetes but why am i losing my hair?

Because you have Male Pattern Baldness.

Some like to call it Androgenic Alopecia.

You were cursed with gene from your forefathers and were pre-programmed at conception to start balding at just about the time you first noticed it.

It seems you have great difficulty excepting this.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
the 3 warning signs of diebetes are frequent urination, eating and drinking. Since you urinate so much , it would be a good idea to get your blood sugar checked. Frequent urination is also a sympotm of BPH or an enlarged prostate.

cueitup

Reaction score
beer belly

i can relate to u....when i first started to lose hair, i was also gaining a big oh belly and some b**ch tits....

i def. think theres a connection .