The Baby Boomber Generation & The "hidden Epidemic"

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
H recently shared a great article over on HLC2020's comments, which discusses how young men are turning to drugs and alcohol as they struggle with hairloss.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/hidden-epidemic-men-turn-drink-drugs-due-hair-loss/

What I find particularly interesting, and got me to thinking, is the comments from apparently older people.

"My grandfather went bald early, it's in the genes. I don't think it traumatised him. Being shot, later blown up, then gassed, then having to change regiment twice due to massive losses in those regiments in the Great war, now that did affect him. What kind of man is traumatised by hair loss. A man without moral fibre?

By the way my grandfather came back to father 5 more children & die in his bed aged 74. Never conplained.
" — William Bate

It's not WW2 anymore, Bill.

"Media, particularly films and, more particularly Hollywood, promote full hair and thin svelte body.

Then look at the average American male.

Cease worrying, unless your partner believes the media images - then you know there's a problem.

In the North East, for many years now, most men have adopted the shaven head white van driver look. Low maintenance hair, no issue if going bald.
" — Gary Leece

Translation: "It's not a problem if you just keep your girlfriend away from movies! Don't let her get a glimpse of the other side!"

"If at some point in the future, you suggest that Millennials are, in general, stupid; and someone takes issue with you, refer them to this article. QED." — Some other c***.

I've noticed that, on Facebook articles pertaining to baldness, the doctors I've seen, and other commentors online, most of the "suck it up, it's just hair, you f*****g nancy boys" types are usually Baby Boomers or early Gen Xers. Now, the complaints that millenials and even many Gen Xers have against the Baby Boomer generation is well documented. These old people who, some statistics place at as high as 50%, have no plans of retiring nor consideration for their demise, while having left the three generations since with sizeable economic burden, as well as accounting for several US presidents in the past two decades and making up a large percentage of Trump voters all boils down to one thing, regardless of where your politics fall:

Dinosaurs are impeding any sort of change.

Indeed, out of the three doctors I had to see before one told me about the existence of finasteride, it was the youngest who told me about it. I have an uncle who is now 70 years old, and refuses to retire from a job that a young person could easily fill.

Obviously, these same people were the researchers and scientists of the past, and still are in the present. I'm pretty sure any that anyone I've seen who is a high-ranking person in the FDA speak, they're generally 50 - 70 years old. I can't help but think their attitudes toward hairloss then and now, stemming from a refusal to accept that times have changed, have a lion's share in the lack of progress on the hairloss front for decades. This would be the same generation going on about "ethics" in stem cells; delaying useful applications of them. It doesn't matter whether it helps 8 million people or just 800k. If it helps them; we should do it.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Imo saying "suck it up, it's just hair, you f*****g nancy boys" is just as annoying as complaining about hair loss like it's the plague. I'm the first person to admit that hair loss disgusts me and I'm very self conscious about it and feel less like myself when looking in the mirror, but you gotta suck it up, take any little action you can and play with what you got.
I mean sure, talk to sb and get it off your chest, but after a while you're just sabotaging yourself with negativity.
We should just support the research, the only thing that matters, let the dinosaurs be dinosaurs and make a joke or two about our balding heads. Life's not fair, the world's not perfect. If you can do something to make it better do it. Arguments tho... the older I get the less I see the point in them.
Don't get me wrong you're right, but it's not worth the fuss.

baldboys

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder the importnace of life style in hair loss. Sure, genetics is the main factor, but ive came to believe that life style is also huge. Im from Brazil and we are having a huge anti corruption operation here, where lots of politicans and business man are going to jail. Its amazing what a couple of months in huge stress situations (aka being investigated and spending some time in jail) do to these man hairlines. They just come out so much balder, probally from the stress and sh*t diet.

What do you guys think?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
World War II was unquestionably traumatic for the men who fought. However, those who came home did so to an economy entering a spectacular long-term boom, one with low unemployment, high wages, and low inflation.

The veterans had free tuition from the GI bill, jobs with benefits for life, good health care, good pensions. National infrastructure was being built and people did not typically spend 2 or 3 hours a day commuting.

They also could get married relatively easily in the pre-instagram era: we can estimate that 97% of American world war II veterans got married.
http://dig.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/ktrk_120710_WWIIvetsfactsheet.pdf
To start their family, they could afford a home without giving 50% of their income to a 40-year mortgage, and they then had an average of 3.9 children without being bankrupt as they didn't need to save ~$200,000 per child for college tuition.

It makes sense that people were less focused on zero-sum issues such as aesthetics in a world which was more secure for the average man.

I wonder the importnace of life style in hair loss. Sure, genetics is the main factor, but ive came to believe that life style is also huge. Im from Brazil and we are having a huge anti corruption operation here, where lots of politicans and business man are going to jail. Its amazing what a couple of months in huge stress situations (aka being investigated and spending some time in jail) do to these man hairlines. They just come out so much balder, probally from the stress and sh*t diet.

What do you guys think?
I think that stresss is a minor effect. Diet could be a significant effect but it's poorly studied and the results might not be intuitive.

baldboys

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

What do you guys think?

Also, things like smoking are reported to increase your chances of early balding by as much as 50%. So yeah, im trying to quit it rofl.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
We should just support the research, the only thing that matters, let the dinosaurs be dinosaurs and make a joke or two about our balding heads. Life's not fair, the world's not perfect. If you can do something to make it better do it.

The issue is that the dinosaurs still call the shots in many of these fields and make entry for younger people who want to do something about it difficult.

I've heard before that like, not even half of med students actually finish it or something.

This meme exists for a reason

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/c4/c2/80c4c289c0822b19d1d1ecae496084ac.jpg

Posting as link, because pics don't work now for some reason.

It's because even the most menial of jobs wants "experienced" and "educated" workers, and the person usually doing the hiring is old. These older people are also the ones with money to invest.

I recently saw a job posting on Facebook from Nintendo, Canada. They want someone who will work at this truck, more of a mobile kiosk, and demonstrate their new games for people and let them play.

Under education requirements, it listed "Bachelor's Degree." They want a f*****g bachelor's degree for a job my 11-year-old cousin could do!

I can only imagine what it must be like for a 20-something wanting to get into the labs and have anyone take their ideas seriously.

pollutionbrain

My Regimen
Reaction score
In general I think older people accept baldness easier. Especially if they already have families and careers. I bet my two balls that even if baldness is seen more in older people that the majority that visits the hairloss forums are in their 20s. So I think its more of an age thing. Also every thought that goes into worrying about hair loss is loss.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think?

I think homeless people must suffer a lot of stress day in and day out. And quite a few of them in these photos still have lots of hair.

Genetic engineering will change everything forever. In fact, it's already underway albeit still early days yet.

H

Reaction score
H recently shared a great article over on HLC2020's comments, which discusses how young men are turning to drugs and alcohol as they struggle with hairloss.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/hidden-epidemic-men-turn-drink-drugs-due-hair-loss/

What I find particularly interesting, and got me to thinking, is the comments from apparently older people.

"My grandfather went bald early, it's in the genes. I don't think it traumatised him. Being shot, later blown up, then gassed, then having to change regiment twice due to massive losses in those regiments in the Great war, now that did affect him. What kind of man is traumatised by hair loss. A man without moral fibre?

By the way my grandfather came back to father 5 more children & die in his bed aged 74. Never conplained.
" — William Bate

It's not WW2 anymore, Bill.

"Media, particularly films and, more particularly Hollywood, promote full hair and thin svelte body.

Then look at the average American male.

Cease worrying, unless your partner believes the media images - then you know there's a problem.

In the North East, for many years now, most men have adopted the shaven head white van driver look. Low maintenance hair, no issue if going bald.
" — Gary Leece

Translation: "It's not a problem if you just keep your girlfriend away from movies! Don't let her get a glimpse of the other side!"

"If at some point in the future, you suggest that Millennials are, in general, stupid; and someone takes issue with you, refer them to this article. QED." — Some other c***.

I've noticed that, on Facebook articles pertaining to baldness, the doctors I've seen, and other commentors online, most of the "suck it up, it's just hair, you f*****g nancy boys" types are usually Baby Boomers or early Gen Xers. Now, the complaints that millenials and even many Gen Xers have against the Baby Boomer generation is well documented. These old people who, some statistics place at as high as 50%, have no plans of retiring nor consideration for their demise, while having left the three generations since with sizeable economic burden, as well as accounting for several US presidents in the past two decades and making up a large percentage of Trump voters all boils down to one thing, regardless of where your politics fall:

Dinosaurs are impeding any sort of change.

Indeed, out of the three doctors I had to see before one told me about the existence of finasteride, it was the youngest who told me about it. I have an uncle who is now 70 years old, and refuses to retire from a job that a young person could easily fill.

Obviously, these same people were the researchers and scientists of the past, and still are in the present. I'm pretty sure any that anyone I've seen who is a high-ranking person in the FDA speak, they're generally 50 - 70 years old. I can't help but think their attitudes toward hairloss then and now, stemming from a refusal to accept that times have changed, have a lion's share in the lack of progress on the hairloss front for decades. This would be the same generation going on about "ethics" in stem cells; delaying useful applications of them. It doesn't matter whether it helps 8 million people or just 800k. If it helps them; we should do it.
For some other c***.
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ng-stupider-and-population-ageing-may-be-why/

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Hair loss is often seen as an older man's problem, but according to the American Hair Loss Association, two-thirds of American men will experience some degree of appreciable hair loss by the age of 35."

This stat seems to be a required element of any article about hair loss, yet I've never been able to find the actual study that verifies it. The AHLA states it, but doesn't provide any data for it. Anecdotal evidence doesn't support it; in the city I live in of about four million men with a median age of exactly 35, 2/3 of them don't have "appreciable hair loss." I think if that number were actually true, there would be a much greater demand for an effective treatment. I wish there was a better study about hair loss that not only controlled for age, but race and country; I've seen people suggest that some countries have a higher incidence of hair loss (the UK and India are often cited), but again, no data. I wouldn't be surprised if the number is much lower than 2/3, which would contribute in part to the low demand for hair loss treatments.

I suspect it's in how the authors are defining "appreciable".

Probably "NW2" or "Minor diffuse" is what it actually means.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Speak of the devil https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/11/16137388/dota-2-dendi-open-ai-elon-musk
"Engineers from the nonprofit say the bot learned enough to beat Dota 2 pros in just two weeks of real-time learning, though in that training period they say it amassed “lifetimes” of experience"
But yeah that seems to be the general rule. I always believed that if your ideas stand out you can rise above the dysfunctional status quo - but as far as medicine and bio research goes I guess you have to follow the dinosaurs unless you're lucky or already rich.
Under education requirements, it listed "Bachelor's Degree." They want a f*****g bachelor's degree for a job my 11-year-ol
Who said liberal art degrees are useless?

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think your putting way too much thought into this. Does it really matter why different groups of people have different opinions? I mean does it change how much you value your hair if they it you shouldnt? Older groups grew up with no options and worse problems. Its all just relative. You cant apply right and wrong logic to a totally personal opinion.
Its a cosmetic problem that is just a fact. If you want to argue cosmetic problems can branch off into other things sure I agree, but it is what it is.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your putting way too much thought into this. Does it really matter why different groups of people have different opinions?

Yes man, it does. I can't believe anyone would actually say this; especially in the current social and political climate.

Groups of people who collectively have different opinions find themselves in positions of power. Those opinions are at the heart of what shapes their policies, and that has very real consequences for all of us.

This is literally what politics are all about.

Think of things like voter demographics, terrorism, the increasingly violent protests across the USA and Europe, students advocating for legit segregation on college campuses, gun violence, the education system, the legal system, banking, anything else in poor or state of discord...and say, "Does it really matter why these different people who are bound by a particular variable think the way they do?" and hopefully you'll see why this is a completely insane question.

baldboys

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Speak of the devil https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/11/16137388/dota-2-dendi-open-ai-elon-musk
"Engineers from the nonprofit say the bot learned enough to beat Dota 2 pros in just two weeks of real-time learning, though in that training period they say it amassed “lifetimes” of experience"
But yeah that seems to be the general rule. I always believed that if your ideas stand out you can rise above the dysfunctional status quo - but as far as medicine and bio research goes I guess you have to follow the dinosaurs unless you're lucky or already rich.

Who said liberal art degrees are useless?

Dont worry this much about this AI. It can only play the game in a very limited setting and its still beaten from time to time by some pros today even in said setting.

Source: I play lots of dota 2

H

Reaction score
Dont worry this much about this AI. It can only play the game in a very limited setting and its still beaten from time to time by some pros today even in said setting.

Nobody could beat a Jakyll at sniping in halo 2's legendary campaign tho...could cut a photon in half with that beam rifle no scope.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm not worried, if anything, I want to get into deep learning by the end of the school year and create networks in my bedroom. That said, it's probably a matter of time.
BTW DotA looks like lots of fun! I played lol for like four months but gave up cos I get addicted to games easily. Same with DDO. So much time lost tho.. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to sleep at all?
Edit: I mostly played alone, playing with friends was definitely more fun