Thanks HairLossTalk.com, 9 months in. UPDATED 13months

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
I promised myself that id post here if i had good results, well im happy to say i have, and here is my story. no pictures sorry.

Im 31, 6.2 foot, 13 stones. healthy. from the UK. begining treatments i was thinning on the crown and my temples, all over hair was thinner but still not a major problem.

Iv never had great hair, but its always been easy to style. i first noticed my hair was getting bad when i was 25, i was in a shop when i noticed the back of my head on a CCTV camera, i couldnt believe how thin it had become, I started styling it to hide the fact that i was thinning, but it wasnt going to go away (my hair was though).

It took me a while to do anything about it, what could i do?. i looked for cosmetic products to hide it, i found topikk, this worked very well but it came at a cost, my social life was very good, but i felt i couldnt go swimming, go on holiday, have girlfriends etc, this held me back and brought me out looking for more answers.

Last year i went for a consultation with a well known company who were very pushy about taking a £3000 treatment. i can only thank god i didnt go ahead with it, they constantly phoned me after it, i smelled a rat.

I looked for more answers online and thats when i found you guys, i must have spent hours an hours reading about all the different products, i loved reading success stories.

I quickly realised that propecia and nizoral were for me, this was October of 2008, i ordered both. Then i tried dermatch, which is quite possibly the best value for money product iv ever used to hide my hair loss, im still using the original i ordered.

So anyways back to my results, i noticed very little over the first 6 months, its only now in the last 2 thats my hair has become so much better, the condition of it all over is great with my crown filling in very nicely, iv even had good regrowth on my temples with hairs popping up all along my hairline, these hairs have been gone for quite a while, iv got 1000s of smaller hairs all over my head.

Iv never had a shed, sure some hairs fall out but its not a major problem or different from when i was 18 years old.

Over this time iv used propecia for 2 months, then i moved to finpecia, now im on fincar, my nizoral is the 2% which i use every few days, love that stuff. People shouldnt worry about ordering a non brand name, its saved me so much money and is obviously the real deal.

Iv taken multivitamins, MSM, and various other stuff, but in all honesty its been all the finasteride and nizoral, iv also taken saw palmeto alongwith my finasteride. First few weeks of finasteride i had the ball ache a few times and the watery jizz. but other than that no problems.

The only negative has been minoxidil, i bought the 5% stuff and applied it and laughed, i couldnt possibly apply that twice a day, it made my hair look terrible, i decided if i needed something like that id just accept my hairs rubbish and shave it all off. Luckily/unluckily i didnt need to do that as the night i used it my heart felt like it was going to explode, minoxidil obviously isnt for me and it went straight into the bin.

Im also now trying A&G hair complex, the 5 treatments appeal to me. I will post my experience here, yeah it could be rubbish but at £130 its worth the chance. I may even have the same problems with that as i did with minoxidil.

I know im not "cured" and this will be a long battle which i will lose, ill never get my hair back i had at 18 but my hair is deffo alot better

So untill i post an update a big cheers to guys like brian, casin, petch, prob spelled wrong but you know who you are and all the other guys whos information has given me my hair back, my confidence back and i hate to say it, my life back, yeah sad i know but its a vain world :) .

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Thanks HairLossTalk.com, 9 months in.

That's awesome. More so because you did it without minoxidil.

I made that mistake and still regretting it. I belive gradually as we hear more from people who have tried different combinations and sequence, it will be clear that starting with finasteride and staying on it for atleast a year is critical.

LosingTouch

Reaction score

Thanks for the good read mate, hope they have more in store for you in the future!

Fanjeera

Reaction score

Did you encounter the so-called massive shed in the start of your regimen of finasteride?
How do you feel yourself mentally? How's your mood? Are you able to socialize like you were used to and be as clever, witty and humorous? Are you able to concentrate the mind and study?
Has your liver given you any signs, like brown urine or pain? How much alcohol do you drink?
Thank you very much! Your answers are very helpful to me, a 18 year old young who just started finasteride and is very worried about his health.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score

Fanjeera said:
Did you encounter the so-called massive shed in the start of your regimen of finasteride?
How do you feel yourself mentally? How's your mood? Are you able to socialize like you were used to and be as clever, witty and humorous? Are you able to concentrate the mind and study?
Has your liver given you any signs, like brown urine or pain? How much alcohol do you drink?
Thank you very much! Your answers are very helpful to me, a 18 year old young who just started finasteride and is very worried about his health.

no shed, i see hairs in the shower but nothing like a shed, just normal stuff.

i have had no sides other than slight ball ache, which im told everyone has, this only lasted a few weeks into the treatment.

If anything im actually more confident now that my hair is better. I appreciate hair more now.

i do weights and was a little worried it would cause me to lose muscle, but that hasnt happened.

Id say the nizoral has been just as important as the finasteride, my scalps healthier than ever which is an ABSOLUTE must to grow hair.

Iv still to try the A&G hair complex, when that comes i will do a full update.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score

A&g is a bit tricky to use as as that little bottle is £25 and you deffo dont want to drop it or over pour it. Getting the correct ammount on each bit will be the hard part, 2nd application was alot easier than first and so on.

Its rubs in well and feels nice on the scalp. it actually gives my hair a boost in volume and makes it really soft.

I think i would have been a good responder to minoxidil so if i get results it will be hard to compare.

At the very worst it will be a VERY expensive conditioner :) .

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

Keep us updated zephyr31 :)

I'm the same age and build as you and am also on finasteride and nizoral.
Not been on it for long enough to see results yet.

ali777

Reaction score

Good to hear that you are having some success. Good luck with the rest of the treatment :punk:

zephyr31 said:
First few weeks of finasteride i had the ball ache a few times and the watery jizz. but other than that no problems.

I had similar sides. The ball ache went away, the watery jizz wasn't such a big deal neither but then my brain wasn't the same. Unfortunately, I had to quit :sobbing:

I guess people that are scared of taking finasteride should try it for a month or two and then decide what to do.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score

Around 4 months on min and 13 months on finasteride and nizoral.

Iv went from a bald guy to a guy with good hair which i can actually style, woohooo:). confidence is sky high, Iv got a girlfriend and few things on the side, wink:) .

this time last year i was having to use couvre on my hairline and dermatch/topikk on the rest especially my crown. When i put my cold palm on my crown i could feel the cold on my skin, now when i do this i feel nothing. It used to take me ages to get my hair to look normal in the morning, having to cover all my bald bits, not i can do it in 5 mins and its all just styling, not hiding.

I still use a very little bit of dermatch on the crown, but in truth i can get away with none, its more like a comfort blanket to me:).

Iv used nanominox ms, then when i couldnt get that moved to minoxidil 15% with azelic acid which i really like like, although it is a little gluey, i get the 15% stuff from a company in the USA, its around £10.00 a bottle( i can link if you wish) the nano was amazing at drying in, took 5mins. Iv only ever used min once per day. iv used 5% min for a few weeks waiting for stocks to arrive.

Iv just found loreal thickeing shqampoo and its rully amazing, better than everying iv used put together tbh, you need to buy it, i got it for £2.30 somthing from Tesco.

Dermatch, BEST concealer by far, so cheap and lasts for what will be years. put it on dry. NEVER wet or u will get the chalky hair.

Iv been using retin-a on the hairline for around 3 weeks now, will take more time for that to work.

Im actually glad i went 8months on finasteride, before going on min, it sems to have made my hair stronger, i NEVER once shed enough hair to notice, i know we all shed, but i never got more than 10 hairs in the shower, iv only ever went forward.

my finasteride/retin-a has come from inhouse, i have used propecia and paid alot for it, but then went to finpecia, now im on fincar, iv learned that finasteride is finasteride, find the cheapest way.

I wont be posting pics but i think id be classed as a great responder Ill be happy to reply to anyone that wants help on products etc. when my hair is at a stage when im trully happy ill stick around as the information i have got from this site has been trully amazing, my hair salutes you HairLossTalk.com.

This is the most important section of the forums as it gives ppl hope and confidence in going through with the meds.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.

So you did not use minoxidil at all?
Just finasteride and nizoral?

It's nanominox and not minoxidil?

Iv used nanominox ms, then when i couldnt get that moved to minoxidil 15% with azelic acid which i really like like, although it is a little gluey, i get the 15% stuff from a company in the USA, its around £10.00 a bottle( i can link if you wish) the nano was amazing at drying in, took 5mins. Iv only ever used min once per day. iv used 5% min for a few weeks waiting for stocks to arrive.

In the 1st post, I thought minoxidil gave you a hard time.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
frontal said:
Hi.

So you did not use minoxidil at all?
Just finasteride and nizoral?

It's nanominox and not minoxidil?

In the 1st post, I thought minoxidil gave you a hard time.

yeah mate, i hated it, took me a bit of time to get used to it. I seem ok now i just need to not over use it.

I went 8 months on just nizoral and finasteride and while my results were good i always knew id need to move onto min at some point.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see.

I'm 3 months on finasteride only.
Using minoxidil for 2 weeks now but stopped.
Decided to use finasteride only till 8 months or so.
Will use minoxidil once see results after that.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah id say thats a good idea.. i think that by using finasteride and nizoral only for all that time seemed to strenghen my hair. This gave me a good base to start using minoxidil, it may alo be one of the reasons iv never had a bad shed, like iv said i only ever went forward.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
since you wont post pictures, could you maybe tell us which success story most closely mirrors yours? is it as amazing as SE-freaks or StrangeKarma?

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
blink said:
since you wont post pictures, could you maybe tell us which success story most closely mirrors yours? is it as amazing as SE-freaks or StrangeKarma?

its not that i wont post pictures, its that i have none of my hair when it was bad.

its a hard comparison. My hair on the crown is still a little thin but alot better than it was, i still have a mature hairline but because of my overall thickness increase i can now style my hair to make it look like a nw1.

The largest difference for me is the hair that was in my eyes not affected, thats become very thick, to the point where i run my hands through it and it gets caught. Im hoping to get my crown to become that thick.

The hardest area is most deffo the sides along my hairline, thats much better but not to the point where imsaying wow!!!.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About Nizoral shampoo.

You used it twice a week correct?

Those twice (example Monday & Thursday) a week, before going to bed?
Let say took a bath twice a day and using normal shampoo (example Johnson & Johnson)
And before bed time, only then use Nizoral.
Leave it 3-5 minutes before rinsing.