Testosterone replacement therapy and hair loss

RobertF

Reaction score
I'm a 26 year old male, male pattern baldness, NW2/2,5.

Testosterone - 2.410 ng/ml (was 3.73 a year ago)
DHT - 2500 pg/ml (was 400 a year ago)
Free testosterone - 9.70 pg/ml (against 28.86 a year ago)
Estradiol - 30.8 pg/ml
Prolactin - 4.3 ng/ml

Thyroid:
T3 - 1.21 ng/ml
T3 free - 3.88 pg/ml
Т4 - 7.03 mcg/dl
Т4 free - 1.01 ng/dl
TSH - 2.690 μME/ml (was 6,8 last year)

Also might be of note:
Cortisol - 5.4 mcg/dl (range is 6.2-19.4)
Copper - 10.9 (range 11 - 22)

So within a year, my testosterone got way too low, while DHT shot through the roof (could my one month stint on finasteride last fall be the reason?). I visited an endocrinologist and was presented with an option of testosterone injections (I also have symptoms typical of low testosterone such as lack of energy and inability to lose weight).

Naturally, I am worried that increasing T will lead to an increase in DHT, thus speeding up my male pattern baldness. I am also aware that hairloss-related problems are not really that simple, so I am seeking advice (Doctor says he doesn't know). Perhaps there are people on this forum who have had testosterone replacement therapy and care to share their experience? Perhaps you have an opinion on how these things work? I'm all ears. I think I really need to increase my T one way or the other, but potential harmful effects on hair are putting me off.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Test doesn't harm hair . If anything test thickens the hair shaft whilst esrogen has the opposite effect . DHT is the androgen you should worry about so as long as you block your dht through finasteride or dutasteride your hair should be fine

abcdefg

Reaction score
Test doesn't harm hair . If anything test thickens the hair shaft whilst esrogen has the opposite effect . DHT is the androgen you should worry about so as long as you block your dht through finasteride or dutasteride your hair should be fine

Im still not convinced T has no effect on hair by itself. T causes body hair because propecia alone doesnt stop it. T is the most abundant male hormone by far since most women arent balding with back hair and thick facial hair. I just think T has to be involved there even if its a lot weaker. Higher T causes male pattern baldness now whether its from higher DHT or just the T itself I would be curious to know that but I think its premature to say T is absolutely unrelated.
When I say T I guess im talking total T not free T.

BiqqieSmalls

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow man, your T levels are really low and DHT levels are really high.

I would consider taking Clomid to naturally reboot your body's production of Testosterone. TRT may interfere with your ability to have kids someday because it shuts down your body natural ability to produce Testosterone. Run the Clomid idea by your doctor. TRT is a big commitment; pinning a needle in your *** EW or EOW. If you do decide to go on TRT, I would consider taking Dutasteride and not Finasteride.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Because your T is so low, the body might be compensating by converting more of it to DHT. Increasing your T might actually lower your DHT. But, like biggiesmalls said, its worth giving other stuff a go first. T replacement can do more harm than good.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems to me like too much T is converted to DHT, hence the low T and high DHT, that's what a lot of men experience when aging. Testosterone injection will probably increase your DHT levels even more.
If I were you I would take dutasteride, you'll have a higher T and a much lower DHT.