Testosterone Production

vq0

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about Propecia and was wondering how your body compensates for the elevated T levels. Does it eventually learn to produce less T over time or does it merely convert it into estrogen?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
What makes you think that the body would eventually "compensate" for increased levels of testosterone? The levels are raised in the first place because the body UPREGULATED testosterone production. In other words, the body itself REQUESTED higher levels of testosterone.

Bryan

vq0

Established Member
Reaction score
the body does not request the higher levels but they are caused because 5AR is no longer converting the hormone into dht.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
No, the body _does_ request higher levels of testosterone. That's why it rises.

Bryan

vq0

Established Member
Reaction score
So inhibiting 5AR causes the body to request for more testosterone? Is this correct?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. It does that because when the brain sees that sharp reduction in DHT, it interprets that as an overall reduction in androgenic stimulation, so it tries to compensate by increasing testosterone production. How do we know that? Because the brain releases LH and FSH when you take finasteride, which are the chemical signals to the testes that tell them to start making more testosterone. From the package insert for Proscar, in the "Clinical Pharmacology" section:

Increases of about 10% were observed in luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and testosterone levels in patients receiving Proscar...

Bryan

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^Bryan, is this a problem 10% increase?

What is the effect on the body as a whole, wouldn't extra testosterone mean easier muscle gain among other things?

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well for us slightly older guys testosterone seems to have a positive effect in the libido department. I can't believe how long I can keep it up now...never taken v**** but can't be far off that effect. Its a bugger needing a ton of sleep though too..hence I reduced my finasteride to 0.5mg

Hasn't slowed or stopped my hairloss yet though so concerned that positive from extra testosterone is a negative for the hair in my case. Maybe others have found this?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ANDREW_J_I said:
What is the effect on the body as a whole, wouldn't extra testosterone mean easier muscle gain among other things?

One would think so, although ~10% isn't all that much...

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
ANDREW_J_I said:

One would think so, although ~10% isn't all that much...

Probably placebo, but man I am making great gains in muscle while working out and taking 1.25 mg of finastride daily.

Finastride definatly doesn't hurt weight training.