Testosterone directly linked to hairloss?

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I just came across this paper suggesting that both DHT and Testosterone were directly linked to hairloss. Is this true? Because I'm currently on dutasteride, which lowers DHT but raises Testosterone levels.

"...hair loss is related to the levels of male hormones, particularly DHT but also Testosterone..."

Source: http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_treat ... rmones.cfm

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
It is only aerobic excercise done until the excerciser can do no more that lowers testosterone levels.
F-that....too lazy. Where's the doughnutz....plink plink....oooofff there goes 2 more hairs

drinkrum

Reaction score
Both finasteride and dutasteride decrease DHT and indirectly increase T. An increase in T might lead to hair loss if one is not taking a II-5AR drug (like finasteride. or dutasteride.). For instance, bodybuilders who supplement with testosterone start to lose their hair because some of that extra T is converted into DHT. But you're blocking this conversion by taking dutasteride. so don't worry.

D.

Axon

Reaction score
There's strong correlative evidence that testosterone has sort sort of effect on male pattern baldness. How much of an effect is, of course, unknown...

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
It is only aerobic excercise done until the excerciser can do no more that lowers testosterone levels.
The American College of Sports Medicine defines aerobic exercise as "any activity that uses large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously, and is rhythmic in nature."

Sex? :D

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
To answer your question buffboy..

Yes! Testosterone itself can and does effect your hair adversely. But not as badly as DHT. Some people's follicles aren't as sensitive to T as others. But those who are.. will usually experience increased frontal loss, thus explaining why many people experience frontal loss due to finasteride, or especially dutasteride.

If you are really worried about it, I suggest you get on some topical spironolactone, which not only has an effect on DHT, but also converts the test in your scalp to estrogen. spironolactone by itself I think is not very effective in combating male pattern baldness, but I think combined with finasteride or dutasteride it can be an important addition to your regimen.