Testing Low Level Laser Therapy For Myself

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
I have experienced hair loss for about 4 years now. It began with a receding hairline, followed by overall thinning on top. I am interested in knowing which treatments help and which do not, so I can deal with my own hair loss in the most effective and convenient manner.

There seem to be mixed opinions and controversy both in the medical community as well as those experiencing hair loss about the effectiveness of "low-level laser therapy" marketed for hair loss. As a result, I want to personally try out this treatment for myself.

My rationale for testing laser therapy specifically: First, it is a non-drug treatment with no known side effects. It would be awesome if it actually works. Second, there is uncertainty and controversy surrounding its effectiveness, so I want to determine once and for all if it works. And third, there have been some studies suggesting it may have results for men with male pattern baldness (e.g., http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/dsu.12200/abstract), so it may be worth at least looking into.

I plan to use a laser device I bought (a laser cap with about 200 laser diodes) every other day for 30 minutes each time consistently for 6 months. During these 6 months, I will not be using ANY other hair loss treatment, except for ketoconazole shampoo, in order to isolate the results of the laser treatment only.

Below, I have taken pictures of the CURRENT state of my hair, before beginning the laser treatment. You should be able to notice a receded hairline as well as a decreased density on top (though it is hard to see with the lighting). After using the laser for 4 months (so around March 10, 2017 - Update: May 10, as this will mark 4 months after the start of consistent use), I plan to post pictures at the same angles. I plan to do the same at the 6-month mark (around May 10, 2017 - Update: July 10) and one-year mark (around November 10, 2017 - Update: January 10, 2018). Hopefully, those pictures will give an idea how well the laser treatment is working, or if it is not working. I welcome any insight or suggestions as well.

I have taken pictures from the front, both sides of my hairline, and a little closer to see the thinning.

Update on April 3, 2018: Well, the experiment ended up lasting for 1.5 years from the beginning date! See final photos from the end of this period posted further down the page.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,722
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,936
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,548
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,458
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,513
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,528
Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Break a leg and keep us posted!

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you would expect to see hair sprouting, because I think it would be hard to distinguish a difference in that very nice density of hair you have there. Whatever results, I hope it works as I've thought of getting a LLL also.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you would expect to see hair sprouting, because I think it would be hard to distinguish a difference in that very nice density of hair you have there. Whatever results, I hope it works as I've thought of getting a LLL also.

I am looking to see if I can track any changes over time. In other words, I want to see if there is a noticeable improvement, everything (hairline location and density) stays the same, or there is a noticeable decline. If the hairline recedes further, for example, pictures can hopefully show that, or if there is an increase or decrease in density. Thanks for the kind words.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are the results of generally consistent use of the 200-diode laser helmet after 4 months of usage. I have not included any other treatment during that time period, except for ketoconazole shampoo every other day. I took these photos today. I plan to post similar photos at the 6-month mark, and then at the one-year mark.

Attachments

• Front - 4 Months.jpg
    Front - 4 Months.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Right Side - 4 Months.jpg
    Right Side - 4 Months.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 918
  • Right Side 2 - 4 Months.jpg
    Right Side 2 - 4 Months.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 904
  • Right Side 3 Mirror - 4 Months.jpg
    Right Side 3 Mirror - 4 Months.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 884
  • Left Side - 4 Months.jpg
    Left Side - 4 Months.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 873

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe the real benchmark test for you is to see increased density and growth on top where you said you have thinning. Receding of the hairline occurs even in some that don't lose it elsewhere. Even Minoxidil doesn't do much for hairline but is effective on vertex. If you see short or small hairs popping up amidst the longer hair on top where there were none before, that would be the strongest evidence.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell much from the pictures. Can you notice a difference in your hair.

It is a little hard to tell. However, that might be a good sign, that the hair loss isn't progressing noticeably. Some days it "feels" relatively thin and I still do experience some shedding, yet there also does seem to be some thickness and stability. Overall I do think it is having some effect. But I think the photographs are more reliable than my impression.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe the real benchmark test for you is to see increased density and growth on top where you said you have thinning. Receding of the hairline occurs even in some that don't lose it elsewhere. Even Minoxidil doesn't do much for hairline but is effective on vertex. If you see short or small hairs popping up amidst the longer hair on top where there were none before, that would be the strongest evidence.

I will have to keep an eye out for that, if I can. The vertex does seem to be relatively stable. It's a little thin, but there is still strong coverage. Perhaps that's significant.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
I know these are a little late, as I had said I would post photographs at the 6-month mark, but I eventually got around to taking pictures on September 7 of this year, which is closer to the 8-month mark. Again, I have only been using the low-level laser therapy cap and ketoconazole shampoo every other day during this time period (no finasteride and no minoxidil). Here are the most recent pictures:

Attachments

• Right Side - 8 months.jpg
    Right Side - 8 months.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 765
  • Right Side 2 - 8 Months.jpg
    Right Side 2 - 8 Months.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 733
  • Left Side - 8 Months.jpg
    Left Side - 8 Months.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 734
  • Front - 8 Months.jpg
    Front - 8 Months.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 778

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what's your impression @science_d?

It's difficult to really tell for us since photos are two dimensional and we don't have an eye close on the actual area.

Noticeable? Questionable improvement?

pizzamanluigi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah its kinda hard to tell too much difference from pictures. Looks about safe or worse, idk. How does your hair feel to you?

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel like for people with actual status a 15bucks china lasercomb is more than enough as the cap isnt rlly moving right, so most light ends up being absorbed by the hair...

I would also consider blue light with minoxidil, as they synergize..

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
As promised, here are the final results from one solid year (plus) of consistent use of the low-level laser cap and no other treatment except ketoconazole shampoo. I took these photos this evening.

I have a couple photos of the same area in different lighting. I think in some lighting the thinning is more evident than others, so I included both. Also, I realized I did not have any photos of the top taken at the beginning of the treatment. Nevertheless, I included a crown photo now, which should give you an idea of what it looks like after a full year of using the laser.

I have completed the experiment in testing low-level laser therapy for myself. I will leave it up to anyone viewing the photos to assess for themselves how effective (or not) the treatment was.

Attachments

• Left - 1 Year.jpg
    Left - 1 Year.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 642
  • Left2 - 1 Year.jpg
    Left2 - 1 Year.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 676
  • Right - 1 Year.jpg
    Right - 1 Year.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 660
  • Right2 - 1 Year.jpg
    Right2 - 1 Year.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 696
  • Crown - 1 Year.jpg
    Crown - 1 Year.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 683
  • Front - 1 Year.jpg
    Front - 1 Year.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 740
  • Front2 - 1 Year.jpg
    Front2 - 1 Year.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:

pizzamanluigi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As promised, here are the final results from one solid year (plus) of consistent use of the low-level laser cap and no other treatment except ketoconazole shampoo. I took these photos this evening.

I have a couple photos of the same area in different lighting. I think in some lighting the thinning is more evident than others, so I included both. Also, I realized I did not have any photos of the top taken at the beginning of the treatment. Nevertheless, I included a crown photo now, which should give you an idea of what it looks like after a full year of using the laser.

I have completed the experiment in testing low-level laser therapy for myself. I will leave it up to anyone viewing the photos to assess for themselves how effective (or not) the treatment was.

Do you feel like your hair is in better shape now than a year ago?