Testasterone, Finesteride, and weight training

azmd

Reaction score
I am 27, very active in cardio and weight lifitng, and unfortunatly going bald.... I want to try finesteride but am worried that it will stop my muscle growth gained from lifting. Has anyone who weight trains and taken propecia/proscar seen a drop in perfomance? Does it drop testasterone levels that bad?

s.a.f

Reaction score
If anything it increases levels of ordinary testosterone, its DHT levels that it inhibits, and this can cause an increase in testosterone levels.

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
Most problems with finas and training seems to be:
- mental
- Finas + other sustances

For one, combining finasteride with some other things can actually make your hairloss much worse. So if you are not very bright in the subject, I´d at most use creatine and eventuall protein-drinks.

The mental side of things is probably the worst part. Most people serious about their training are so damned afraid of estrogens. They are wrong - they actually need it for their bodys - but the fear is there.
Then there is the occassional drop in T after quitting finas... These kind of fears will probably not do much good, no mather what actually happens. If you think you are low on T, you will perform worse in the gym.

But to answer your question: Finasteride will probably not bother your workout.

azmd

Reaction score
Thanks. The only suppliments I take are whey / casine protein and L-glutamine so I am sure i'm safe with the interactions. So your saying that it can increase testasterone??? Can anyone else confirm this? If so, thats great!

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
azmd said:
Thanks. The only suppliments I take are whey / casine protein and L-glutamine so I am sure i'm safe with the interactions. So your saying that it can increase testasterone??? Can anyone else confirm this? If so, thats great!
Yes, but I dont know if its that great really. :)

Im not an expert on this, but what happens is pretty much:
Testosterone doesnt become DHT (atleast about 70%-80% or something), thus there´s an increased level of free testosterone floating around. This varies, but its pretty normal I think to have around 10% increased free testosterone. Now, this the body is not used too, wich might lead to sideeffects (ball-ache) and may also lead to increased levels of estrogen (if thats the english word for it). Now, thats usually not really bad, but for a small amount of people it is bad. Amatuer bodybuilders might tell you its really bad, but they also think you get instant male-boobs if you drink a beer so dont give them credit.

Theres also speculations going around that the body gets used to the "new" amount of T, and starts to produce less, wich might in theory lead to a sudden drop in T after quitting finas. Again, though, the body will adjust if it did in the first place.

All in all however, dont expekt it to either improve or ruin your muscles. 95% chans you wont notice a difference neither good nor bad. :)

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score
In the (almost) 6 months I've been on finasteride, I've gained several lbs of muscle.. all at much the same rate I've managed to gain pre finasteride.

Bugger all difference mate.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
in the last two months of taking finasteride - no differnece.... have noticed loss in strength but thats cause i m doing lots of cardio and cutting up....

G

when i was on finasteride 3 years ago i was a lean 80kg and i didnt even eat properly.Now i eat very clean and lift harder than before and i cant get higher than 75kg.finasteride made me bigger for sure.I dont know how though.