Test for DHT..?!

jeffsss

Reaction score
is it possible for a doctor to determine how much DHT is in someones system? and to see if medications are reducing it>?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Yes. There are blood tests for this, although the results won't be of much actual use.

HairLossTalk.com

jeffsss

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Yes. There are blood tests for this, although the results won't be of much actual use.

HairLossTalk.com

why wouldnt it be much of use?

wouldnt you be albe to monitor the level of DHT to see how effective a inhibitor is working.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Yes. I already said you could do that with the blood test.

But what are you going to do with those results?

Say your results are "80" instead of "100".

Then what?

(To address your next 10 questions, ill just respond to them now)

Jefsss: well then i could know to take more Propecia

(which I would reply with)

HairLossTalk.com: exactly what threshhold number would you use to determine you need to take more propecia?

Jefsss: I don't know. Doesnt Propecia inhibit X percent of DHT in the body? If its not inhibiting that much, then i can take more.

HairLossTalk.com: We have no data tying in % decrease with a blood test result number. meaning: we cant see an "80" and know that you are only getting X % inhibition. Unless you had repeated tests prior to Propecia to determine an ongoing average # for your baseline, and then several repeated tests to determine an average change after starting Propecia, we can't know the % your DHT has decreased. Its different for each person.

jefsss: oh, okay.

HairLossTalk.com

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you're thinking of going the generic route it is a good idea to take a DHT/testosterone test beforehand and then after to ensure the meds you're buying is legit.

I'm seriously considering upping my finasteride dose to 5mg a day but switching from Proscar (what I'm using now in 1/4ths) to using a whole Fincar. If I do go this route I would take a blood test beforehand to check my DHT levels and then again around the 3rd or 4th week to ensure my DHT levels are indeed being inhibited.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Are your results slipping, socks? Otherwise, why would you consider taking more finasteride? And keep in mind that a 5 mg pill hardly blocks more 5-alpha reductase than a 1 mg amount.

D.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Are your results slipping, socks? Otherwise, why would you consider taking more finasteride? And keep in mind that a 5 mg pill hardly blocks more 5-alpha reductase than a 1 mg amount.
D.

Results have slipped Drinkrum. I'm giving the 1.25mg of finasteride and 50mg of spironolactone (upped to 100mg after the first month) a 3 - 6 month chance to halt any further loss. If I'm not able to halt futher loss by the 6th month (or if substantial thinning is still occurring by month 3) I'll up the finasteride to 5mg a day.

Everyone, as you know, is different and while most men will likely respond to 1mg of finasteride for hairloss some men might benefit from a 5mg dose over a 1mg dose. I'm too lazy to dig up the link at this moment (lunch time!!!) but it was shown in subjective self-evaluations of finasteride that 5mg of finasteride produced a 70%+ improvement while 1mg produced a high 50% improvement. Again, this percentage is of subjective self-evaluations

5mg of finasteride does indeed reduce DHT more so then 1mg of finasteride as evident both in blood serum tests as well as a higher occurrence of side-effects. This albeit small reduction might make a difference in some men and there is some anecdotal evidence of that via the subjective self-evaluations.